Did a Punk-style Christmas song recording - looking for some final production help

Hey guys - just finished mixing/mastering this song that I recorded with two of my friends: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nuhr1o7lkyxt20n/%28I%27ll%29%20Break%20Up%20With%20You%20On%20Christmas%20%28smoother_wav%29.wav?dl=0

It seems to translate pretty well. I listened to it in probably 10 different places and it sounded good; but then I listened on my brothers subwoofer and sound bar, and the drums and vocals were just gone. Other songs sounded okay thru his setup, and I couldnt figure out why mine would sound so much worse in that situation, yet still sound good in most other places. Was wondering if you guys had any overall tips/critiques that could improve the mix/master and maybe help improve the translatability a bit.

Thanks, and merry Christmas!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Snare is a bit too forward in the mix for me, and a bit fatter than I think it needs. I think this is more the fact they're samples vs. a real kit. Try processing the snare on it's own as an audio track (IE: buss the raw snare out of the VI to it's own audio track and process it on it's own not using the VI processing). I'd look at using a poppier snare sample, the one you have sounds decent, but pop-punk likes a poppier snare.

The guitars are fundamentally good (fucking love the sound you got), but in the verse the palm muted guitars are a bit boomy, I'd look at doing some multiband compression on the low end of the guitars to tame in the build up. This is causing the drums to get a bit lost in the verses. I'd also look at the fuzziness on the guitars a butm and making them bite just a bit more. Probably roll off above 12kHz (-6 slope or something), and add a bit of 3-5kHz (not much) just to get a bit more cut to them.

The bass needs a bit more work. I'd duplicate it and process it through a distortion unit. Cut the lows and highs, leaving only the mids, and blend that into the clean bass. From there, buss both snare tracks into a single Aux and compress/EQ. The bass isn't quite sitting right with how clean it is.

Good stereo separation, clean sound all around. I'm not finding the bass drum issue you've reported in the past to be THAT bad. Could use some focusing, but you're getting results that work.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Last edited by the chemist at Dec 23, 2016,
As an aside, I love that you uploaded this as a .wav file. I'm going to plug it through mastering to see how it stands up in the analyzers and see if I can get this mastered to some references I have that are close (most likely compaired to NFG, MxPx, Swanky Dank, and Millencolin).
Quote by Watterboy
Quote by the chemist
As an aside, I love that you uploaded this as a .wav file. I'm going to plug it through mastering to see how it stands up in the analyzers and see if I can get this mastered to some references I have that are close (most likely compaired to NFG, MxPx, Swanky Dank, and Millencolin).

Thanks for all the tips man! I'll go back in there and try another remix to see what i can do to improve it - still, seems weird that i had that issue in my bro's system
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by the chemist
Snare is a bit too forward in the mix for me, and a bit fatter than I think it needs. I think this is more the fact they're samples vs. a real kit. Try processing the snare on it's own as an audio track (IE: buss the raw snare out of the VI to it's own audio track and process it on it's own not using the VI processing). I'd look at using a poppier snare sample, the one you have sounds decent, but pop-punk likes a poppier snare.

The guitars are fundamentally good (fucking love the sound you got), but in the verse the palm muted guitars are a bit boomy, I'd look at doing some multiband compression on the low end of the guitars to tame in the build up. This is causing the drums to get a bit lost in the verses. I'd also look at the fuzziness on the guitars a butm and making them bite just a bit more. Probably roll off above 12kHz (-6 slope or something), and add a bit of 3-5kHz (not much) just to get a bit more cut to them.

The bass needs a bit more work. I'd duplicate it and process it through a distortion unit. Cut the lows and highs, leaving only the mids, and blend that into the clean bass. From there, buss both snare tracks into a single Aux and compress/EQ. The bass isn't quite sitting right with how clean it is.

Good stereo separation, clean sound all around. I'm not finding the bass drum issue you've reported in the past to be THAT bad. Could use some focusing, but you're getting results that work.

Could you cue me in on which midrange frequencies to focus on for the bass guitar for the duplicate? The mids can vary wildly and i always have a tough time getting the bass to sound how i want and still fit in the mix

Edit: by the way- the guitar recording was done with an engl powerball to a mesa 412 with a shure sm57. But it sounds a lot more massive after all of the mixing and mastering and saturation and everything
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Dec 24, 2016,
Quote by Watterboy
Could you cue me in on which midrange frequencies to focus on for the bass guitar for the duplicate? The mids can vary wildly and i always have a tough time getting the bass to sound how i want and still fit in the mix

Edit: by the way- the guitar recording was done with an engl powerball to a mesa 412 with a shure sm57. But it sounds a lot more massive after all of the mixing and mastering and saturation and everything

With bass I don't pay attention to it on it's own, I mix them in place in the mix. If something really sounds fanky then I'll SIP but mostly I'd just let the mix run and adjust the bass until it fits. On the blend you don't need a lot of the distorted track in there; it's just to add some bite and growl to it. Usually you'd just roll off below 200Hz and roll above 2kHz and gradually add it in until the bass has balls but isn't super obnoxious.
Quote by Watterboy
Not the right style song for what you're doing but I've found this to be a useful reference in some instances for bass:

"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
Not the right style song for what you're doing but I've found this to be a useful reference in some instances for bass:

Thanks!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69