Please help me get different tones on my amp and guitar
I have a Stranger C-15 amp and an Aria STG-003... Please help me get effects like metal, crunch, twang, etc.
Buy a better amp
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
I wouldn't expect too much from that amp, but I'd start off with setting the bass to 5, the mids to 6,5 and treble to 8. Volume to taste, distortion to taste, echo depth and dely to 0. Start working with that. Some general tips: Don't overdo the bass, treble on max is overkill and unpleasant to the ear, love your mids, less distortion is more distortion. You'd be surprised how little distortion even the heaviest bands use.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Dec 27, 2016,
Udjine, that's the one, thanks!

Dragonfyre137 here are a couple of settings I tried -

1. Bass - 5, Mids - 7, Treb - 6, Distortion volume - 3-4, Distortion Tone - 6-7, volume - 3-4 (I'm usually in my room), tone and volume on guitar full, using mid or bridge pickup. This gives a metal-ish tone.

2. Bass - 7, Mids - 7, Treb - 3-4, Distortion Volume - 1-2, Distortion tone full, volume full, tone and volume on guitar full, using bridge pickup, with the depth switch on (using an Aria STG-009, I don't know what that switch is called). This gives crunch

Need advice on these and help on more tones pls
Vindicator28
Your two settings look quite okay, though I would use less distortion on the second one. Too much distortion and bass makes your sound muddy. Less distortion and more mids on the other hand make it cut through the mix.

I just googled your gutiar and the problem here seems to be that you are using a basic stratocaster immitation and want a metal tone. And that's the problem. The first electric guitar I ever had was a similar one. I got it for christmas 2010 from my parents and it was good to learn the basics, but I soon realized the bridge pickup is just not suited for metal. For the heavier genres of music you want a humbucking pickup in your bridge. It cancels out the hum thats so typical for singlecoils and delivers a punchier and heavier sound. Nevertheless, I assume getting a completely new guitar is out of question, so we'll have to work with what we have. After experimenting a bit with my old guitar, I soon found that you get the best metal-ish tone by using the second pickup position, using the bridge and middle pickups. I dialed the volume knob back just a little bit (around 20 °. In guitars with passive pickups, the volume knob also influences the frequencies of your output signal, resulting in reduced highs. This is what you want, as there's no way to dial the tone of the bridge pickup. The first tone knob in any stratocaster-like guitar dials the tone of the neck, and the second of the middle pickup. Now for the tone knob ob of the middle singlecoil: Dial it back about 45 °.

See how all that works. And seeing that you don't have a bridge humbucker, I guess the second setting you described should work best with your guitar.

Cheers!
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Dec 27, 2016,
Also, what's the thing about too much distortion in the second setting?
The distortion VOLUME is just 1-2
It's the tone that is full
My guitar, the STG STV, has 2 dials on it, and 2 switches
One dial for volume, one dial for tone
One pickup selector switch
and another switch that sorta adds depth when flicked down when I'm using the humbucker
I'd recommend you set your guitar controls to full up (10) and all your amp controls to noon. If the resulting sound is nowhere near what you want then you need a different amp.

I've been playing for decades and have owned dozens of amps. I've had some high end boutique amps that I could never bond with and had to sell. If you can't get a somewhat decent tone out of an amp in a few minutes then that amp might not be the right one for you.

http://www.dummies.com/art-center/music/guitar/how-to-tune-up-a-new-electric-guitar-amplifier/

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/GG-010-GoodGuitarTone.php
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Last edited by 8Len8 at Dec 27, 2016,