So I've been wanting a custom 7 string explorer. I can't really find a place that'll customize it to gibson's specifications obviously. So I was wondering if anyone knew a place where I could customize the dimensions and go through painting it and assembling myself. Now I want the shape and headstock to be 90% close to a Gibson if I can't find somewhere that'll do an exact copy.

I also live in the Nashville area and was wondering if anyone knew any luthiers that would help me? Thanks
Might be some copyright issues there which they might want to avoid with the headstock. I know awhile back, Gibson threw a fit with Guitar Hero or Rock Band over headstocks and maybe body shapes in the game. I would imagine companies might want to avoid a lawsuit from a company with deep pockets.

That said, I know Agile/Rondo has the Ghost/Ghost Pro, which is Explorer-like and can be customized. I don't know if it can be done to your exact specs.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
bjgrifter Yeah I'm not digging the Agile. I'd settle for a Warmoth if I had to. I wish Gibson would pick up to the trend and at least offer "metal like" lines of their models. The Axcess line was a step in the right direction ( contoured heel, Stoptail/Floyd rose option).

Now I'd totally go for an ESP if they sold something like an Eclipse to a Les Paul shape. They're almost identical other than the "open book" headstock is pointier and slanted, and the horn is cut out different and pointy.

The EX series by ESP is just too much though, definitely not a Eclipse to an LP comparison. Way too different. I'm also way too picky it seems.

I want a white Explorer, 7 string 25.5- 26*scale. Dot or small block inlays* Chrome hardware, with a neck that has a satin finish* Ebony fretboard, Contoured heel*/easy to get around neck joint. 22/24* frets. Top Toggle swtich, 2 volume 1tone. and I want the body size to be increased to match the scale length.

*= specs that'd be cool but are so random and odd I wouldn't be sad if they couldn't be done.

I heard ESP still makes their old Gibson like Explorer shape through the custom shop, if It boiled down to it and that were the case, I'd go through ESP instead of Gibson. Idk why I listed my specs but that's what I'm wanting,and chrome hardware probably will be swapped out with black.
Well, I'm curious just to see where this goes. I suppose a custom shop might be the way to go.

How much are you looking to spend? I mean, ESP and Epiphone both make 7-string stuff (Epiphone makes a Matt Heafy 7-string LP).

In any case, it sounds like a sweet axe, even moreso if you can get it built.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
How much are you looking to spend? If you want a custom 7 string explorer built to those specs, it definitely won't be cheap. ESP, Gibson, and Hamer are what first come to mind, if money is no issue.

If you don't want an Agile, I think Gibson did make a 7 string explorer model at one point. But I think they only come in black, with a 24.75" scale, and run around $2K.

Warmoth may be a good option for you, if you don't want to get crazy expensive w/the exact specs you desire, and don't mind bolt-on neck construction.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by Sir Stoney
So I've been wanting a custom 7 string explorer.

Have you considered how neck-heavy a 7-string long-scale explorer would be?
dspellman
Meh, A 25.5 Scale 7 string Explorer couldn't be any worse than a 27" Scale. Or any form of an SG.

Update**

So I found a company that makes really cheap guitars. Most with blank headstocks, exact shape and specs as a real deal. On the other hand everything is cheap.I guess I'll turn it into a nice modding project if it goes smooth.
Quote by Sir Stoney
dspellman
Meh, A 25.5 Scale 7 string Explorer couldn't be any worse than a 27" Scale. Or any form of an SG.

An SG has only a 24.75" scale and can be irritatingly neck heavy. Because the neck area strap button is near the 22nd fret, the Explorer can be neck heavy as well. When you extend the neck (to a 25.5" scale or even a 27" scale), the neck can get progressively overbalanced, and if you then add the extra weight of widening the neck to accommodate the 7th string, it can be a concern.

Other guitars (most superstrats, for example) have the neck-area strap button up by 12th fret, which helps balance the guitar better.

Might be worth seeing if you can find something like the Gibson Baritone Explorer (28" scale, but a six-string) to get an idea how a 7 would balance.
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Explorer-Baritone.aspx

They also put out a 7-string Explorer for a while, with (I believe) a 24.75" scale, and that has about a 2" nut width to accommodate the 7th string: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/7-String-Explorer.aspx
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 26, 2016,