Hey I''m really new to guitar and music in general and was hoping y'all would help me. Anyway whenever I strum a string it sounds completely out of tune. I've tried 3 digital tuners and they all say it's in tune. My grandpa says it just needs new strings. Is this true? Does having old strings make that much of a difference in sound quality? Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me.
Could it be that the bridge is not set right? In this case the open strings would tune just fine but as soon as you played a chord or notes on the fretboard it would be out of tune. Check distance from nut too 12th fret is same as 12 fret to bridge.
Quote by fifireed
Hey I''m really new to guitar and music in general and was hoping y'all would help me. Anyway whenever I strum a string it sounds completely out of tune. I've tried 3 digital tuners and they all say it's in tune. My grandpa says it just needs new strings. Is this true? Does having old strings make that much of a difference in sound quality? Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me.
Are you tuning to the standard tuning for the chord shapes you are playing? As in, E Standard tuning (E A D B G E).
Acoustic or electric? Regardless, the intonation could be the issue. (Intonation is show in tune the notes going down the neck are) New strings could help. I'd try a different gauge and side you aren't all that experienced I'd go with a lighter one. From there you could set the truss rod and the bridge to get your intonation correct. There's plenty of information on how to do that on the internet. Hope this helps
Pink squier bullet strat (tonerider classic blues pickups and warmoth neck)
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx
Oh and another thing. New strings will instantly improve the sound. You'll notice immediately. If the strings are REALLY old, you'll be blown away with the difference
Pink squier bullet strat (tonerider classic blues pickups and warmoth neck)
Vox V847 wah
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Boss Ce-5
Kustom dual 35 dfx
Start with new strings.
If you don't know how old the current strings are, then they're too old.
I change my strings at least once a month, sometimes more often than that. Others here leave them on much longer. But they do rust/corrode and just get out of sorts, and should be changed more often than just when one breaks.

Learn how to Intonate your guitar. This is a tuning process that helps insure that your octave note sounds as in tune as your open string note.

Keep your action as low as possible. This is the distance from the bottom of the strings to the frets, and you'll want to keep it close, and adjusted so that you don't create buzzing or out of tune frets. When playing, Do NOT pull your strings all the way down to the fretboard (you should only be pulling the string down to touch the fret, not to the board itself). Keep a light touch on an electric. With light strings on an electric (makes for easier bending and vibrato), you can easily "pull" the strings sharp.

And finally, make sure that your frets are level. If you have a few that are high, the string will touch those before they touch the fret you intend, and that will make the chord sound out of tune. You can check this yourself easily enough, or you can have a guitar tech check your frets and make the necessary adjustments. Perhaps your grandfather can help.