Hi,

I have a couple of small projects I'd like to tinker with, but since I'm not really a handy guy I thought I'd ask for some advice.

1. I have an old Danelectro FAB overdrive, a notoriously shitty pedal. I thought it would be cool to mod it and see if I can turn it into a bass OD pedal that's actually functional. Not sure if this is even possible, but if you have any resources/archives on FAB's I'd love to check them out.

2. I have an old mandolin that's really beat up. I'll grab a new set of strings soon, and I thought about oiling the fretboard and polishing the frets with steel wool. Anything else noteworthy I should look into? The tuning system seems to work, but maybe there is some maintenance I could do? I guess I could also clean the nut and rub some graphite in there.

That's it, just short questions. The FAB is the one I need more help with, but I'm also not sure if it'll ever work out.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
is the FAB a clone? if so, that'd be the first thing to figure out. (I know a lot of the coolcats are clones, and some of the older dano pedals as well.)

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=61169.0

second post there- if that's correct it's a tubescreamer but with hard clipping. there's a link to a schematic there but you have to be registered (i'm not, i guess i probably should at some point )

I'd guess for a bass OD the thing would be having a clean blend? Or maybe even just making sure there's no bass cut (the second is pretty easy if it is a tubescreamer clone I think, how to do that is outlined on geofex (click "technology of the" at the top left and then click on tubescreamer).

EDIT: http://www.freestompboxes.org/download/file.php?id=26937&mode=view

schematic there. it seems to be more or less a tubescreamer. so tubescreamer mods should work. EDIT: I think. It's not exactly the same, but seems to be a similar idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 26, 2016,
Thanks Dave. If it's a tubescreamer clone it would make things a lot easier, but I have to admit I have no idea where I even got a pedal, I just found it from a drawer yesterday even if it isn't exact, I guess I can utilize tubescreamer mods anyway to some extent.

If I can find a way to punch a neat hole into the pedal for a pot a clean blend would be neat. Or maybe I could just use a trimming pot in the control cavity. I also thought of "fuzzing" up the sound if I find a suitable mod.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
yeah it's not a bang-on clone but some of the mods might work (or not). increasing the bass might be all you need to fuzz it up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?