Alright guys, my daughter has shown a ton of interest in playing guitar. I know she's young, but it's very exciting. She messes around with an Ibanez Mikro but it's still way too big. The thing is as tall as her. I've been looking at the Squire Mini Strat and the Rogue Rocketeer RR50. I'm not looking to spend more than $100 on this as she is still young and of course it might just be a phase.
Are either of those two guitars significantly smaller than the Ibanez Mikro series, more specifically, the Ibanez GICM21? Does anyone have any firsthand experience with these than can comment on playability, fret job, neck feel, etc.?
Any other suggestions?
Last edited by Morindi92 at Dec 25, 2016,
The Squier is 3/4 size and the Rogue is 7/8, as far as I can tell. For a 3 year old I'd be looking at a half or quarter size instrument. And, as far as quality, I would not get your hopes up. Small instruments for under $100 are basically made to be temporary - they'll do until the kid grows and needs a bigger instrument. Expect mainly plywood classicals. If someone knows any hidden gems in that category I'd be seriously surprised, but I hope someone does. Probably I'd expect a bit more choice for 1/2 size rather than 1/4 size, which may make the difference, but of course they may still be way too big and they probably still will not be anything special.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Maybe just get her a ukulele to mess with, let's face it - you're probably looking at a good couple of years before actually learning to play is a realistic prospect.

I hate to be a buzzkill but she's 3 years old - she's going be fascinated with anything that you do, it doesn't mean she's specifically interested in guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Maybe just get her a ukulele to mess with, let's face it - you're probably looking at a good couple of years before actually learning to play is a realistic prospect.

I hate to be a buzzkill but she's 3 years old - she's going be fascinated with anything that you do, it doesn't mean she's specifically interested in guitar.

having had a couple three year olds, i agree with this completely.

also, a uke has it's own appeal, 4 strings and easier chords to fret than a guitar. if the child nails this, you may just have a prodigy on your hands.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 27, 2016,
I also think that three is too young for an electric guitar. I would get a cheap uke and put it in an open tuning so that she can bang away at a rhythm. - Not that she will be able to leave the tuners alone! I have a couple of ukes that I hand out to the toddlers when they visit, so they aren't tempted to mess with my guitars. They have been very popular over the years.
I'd have to agree with the others, Save your money, As 3 year olds tend to be interested in everything, Such is the nature of the beast, Toy guitars will suffice for now, it wont be till later on down the road will you need to start thinking about real guitars if it reaches that point, Kids are funny that way, I got one that showed some interest at that age, or so I perceived it, and another that didn't take interest till his teens, Guess which one borrows my gear these days?
I'm not so convinced by that. Sure, don't invest a tonne of money into but if the kid wants a guitar she'll probably be happier with a guitar than a uke Your average 1/4 size guitar probably won't set you back much more than a uke anyway. I can only speak from my own experience but I remember starting violin (of my own volition, but of course funded by my parents) at the age of four and while I stopped when I was about 10 or 11 I think it really benefited me to have grown up making music - and I was never, and am not, gifted by any means. But again, at the end of the day it simply won't cost you much in the grander scheme of things to get her a small guitar that will look and sound enough like a guitar to keep her happy.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Dec 26, 2016,
If you must I'd take a look at the Rondo Music 1/2 scale SX Strat copies, They need setup out of the box but don't all the toy guitars in that price range?
nastytroll

That's still a 23"scale, the equivalent of only two frets shorter than a standard scale.

I would be worried about a small electric being easy for small hands, and heavy enough to do serious damage to personnel and property.

Morindi, are you quite sure you're not transferring your own ambitions and interests onto your daughter?
Last edited by Tony Done at Dec 26, 2016,
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Seriously, get her a Uke. The benefits are immense. Easier to play, it's already kid size, only four strings, she'll be able to start actually learning to play much faster. That'll teach her the basics of how to play a fretted string instrument. Fretting notes, holding the neck properly, strumming, coordinating fingers to play chords, etc. Then, when she's bigger, all of those skills transfer seamlessly to a guitar.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Tony Done
the_bi99man

A lot of Oz schools are now using the uke rather than the recorder as the beginner instrument, or at least were last time I checked.

That's a great idea. More kids are interested in guitar/bass than wind instruments anyway, and getting them into something they actually want to play is going to get them more excited about playing music in general. I played a clarinet in 4th grade, because that's pretty much all there was, and I was never really into it. Did it for a year, and then didn't pick up another instrument until many years later. Although, once I started learning to read/write sheet music again, the basics that I had learned way back then came flooding back almost immediately. So that was useful.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by steven seagull

I'm gonna agree with this one. My kids have taken an interest in music since I've picked up the guitar. That said, they tend to love drums rather than guitars. My 4 year old got a Mickey Mouse "guitar" (more like uke with plastic strings), and I've considered snagging a uke off Rondo for $20-30 at times.

At this age, it's more "Oh, I like it because dad does." Nothing wrong with it. My youngest wants any instrument from a tuba (which is about the same size he is) to a clarinet, or a flute, or whatever. I'm excited they have an interest in music, but with their ages, the attention span isn't that great and they still work on learning to read...which is kinda important.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Alright guys. I have a ukulele but I didn't consider it because last I checked the action was kind of high. I'll definitely go dig it up and give it a shot. I don't expect her to be doing anything too complex as long as she has something to strum.

Im not trying to push my ambitions on her. I wouldn't care if she didn't touch an instrument. My wife plays trumpet for a mariachi and practices probably more than I do, but our daughter doesn't seem to care about the horn. She'd rather strum the guitar. I thought I might as well get her something that's semi playable that she can comfortably sit on her lap.
Last edited by Morindi92 at Dec 27, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
I also think that three is too young for an electric guitar. I would get a cheap uke and put it in an open tuning so that she can bang away at a rhythm. - Not that she will be able to leave the tuners alone! I have a couple of ukes that I hand out to the toddlers when they visit, so they aren't tempted to mess with my guitars. They have been very popular over the years.

I started playing piano at 5, and I was playing professionally (wedding receptions, solo) at 11.

The Sprite ladybug guitar at RondoMusic is $49.95. Scale is 20", overall length is 29", and it's not a toy. http://www.rondomusic.com/ladybug.html

I'm thinking a full Marshall stack to go with it.
probably a uke.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by dspellman
I started playing piano at 5, and I was playing professionally (wedding receptions, solo) at 11.

The Sprite ladybug guitar at RondoMusic is $49.95. Scale is 20", overall length is 29", and it's not a toy. http://www.rondomusic.com/ladybug.html

I'm thinking a full Marshall stack to go with it.
there's a massive difference between 3 and 5

Think about it, it's literally 66% of a lifetime.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Morindi92
Alright guys. I have a ukulele but I didn't consider it because last I checked the action was kind of high. I'll definitely go dig it up and give it a shot. I don't expect her to be doing anything too complex as long as she has something to strum.

Im not trying to push my ambitions on her. I wouldn't care if she didn't touch an instrument. My wife plays trumpet for a mariachi and practices probably more than I do, but our daughter doesn't seem to care about the horn. She'd rather strum the guitar. I thought I might as well get her something that's semi playable that she can comfortably sit on her lap.

Of course she doesn't care about the horn, you can't just hit a horn and have it make the sane noise daddy makes with it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
there's a massive difference between 3 and 5

Think about it, it's literally 66% of a lifetime.

Good point. With piano, it's not just about being able to reach the keys, but about being able to push them down. I did much better on our Hammond before the age of five.
Mozart was competent on both violin and keyboard well before the age of five, but at five he was composing and playing before European Royalty.
Three's probably a bit early to start, but not by a whole lot. Pre-schoolers are routinely handed recorders, are singing in small choirs and can learn musical theory right along with their ABC's. Pre-schoolers who start their musical education early usually find that they're quicker with math as some of the same brain pathways are reinforced.

If the child has musically inclined parents (I did), you'll be surprised at what preschoolers can accomplish in music.