Hello all!

So first, some context: I am moving back to college early January, and I need to pick a cheap, most likely solid state amp to use while there (I am paranoid about shipping my Blackstar tube amp, which is my only present functional one). I have a deal on a used Blackstar ID15TVP for a (significant) bit over $100, or I can get a Vox Pathfinder 10 for about $80. Now, I've always heard professional guitarists being strongly anti-digital; that said, I've heard only good reviews of the Blackstar ID TVP series.

I should also say I am not a professional guitarist, but I still want the best tone I can get from an amplifier. I play many styles from super to pushed cleans and light overdrive, to heavy distortion, although I rarely use modulation with my distortion. I can bring along a couple guitar pedals, but not many as I have very little room for bringing extra stuff on the plane.

I am not limited to those two guitar amps, but most likely I will be needing a solid state amp as I may be playing with other guitarists and/or musicians and need a loud enough volume for this. My budget is $100-200 ish dollars, but I would much rather be in the lower range of that.

Thanks!
An amp with good tone for $100? This will be interesting...
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
You might want to get a Peavey Vypyr 15 or 30. One of the original ones, not the VIP series.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Quote by Guitariano24
8Len8
Lol, perhaps "good" was an overstatement. How about "usable"? Or "decent"/"not bad"?

You'll have to multiply your budget a few times to get to a point where you can talk about analog vs. digital, sorry.
Vox Valvetronix amp like my VT40. Digital pre-amp and 12ax7 tube in first stage of all analog power amp. Really sound good but I improved it with a German RFT 12ax7 tube that's like night and day.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Guitariano24 With that budget it will be difficult to find you something worthwhile. It is kind of a the point where you cannot really go wrong because you cannot really go right. As mentioned above, look into Peavey Vypyr, VOX VT, Fender Mustang, etc. amps. Look for as high as wattage as you can find within your budget if you want to keep up in a band situation.
Guitariano24 Are you just gonna ja with other guitarists, or are you planing on using this for a legit band with drums? Because if its the second, i hate to tell you, but you are kinda screwed with such a limited budget.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
gorkyporky
Quote by gorkyporky
Guitariano24 Are you just gonna ja with other guitarists, or are you planing on using this for a legit band with drums? Because if its the second, i hate to tell you, but you are kinda screwed with such a limited budget.

It would just be me jamming with other guitarists.
Well for this kind of money you can get an audio interface and some plugins for your DAW. Its the cheapest way to get good tones, but its gonna take a while to setup when you go out to jam.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Find a used Peavey Bandit. They are affordable, sound good for the money, good for practicing with other guitarists and can get loud enough to work as a backup amp during gigs if your main amp fails. Its almost indestructible too.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I've heard good things about the Backstar Fly 3 Mini Amp. It's only $70 dollars, and they sell a power supply for an extra $20 (it runs on 6 AA batteries normally.)
If you were just playing by yourself I think it'd be a decent investment and it's small enough that you could bring it on a plane but if you're playing with other musicians it might not be ideal.

Here's some reviews:

If want something a bit more legit, I do agree with gorkyporky, buying an interface and using a DAW would be the way to go. However, if you are playing with others you'd probably need to get an external speaker. It is tough with your budget, I still go to college and i'm lucky enough to bring my I just bring my Fender Blue Junior with me but wi I know that's not always an option.
Guitars:
2012 Ibanez RG3XXV
1995 Fender USA Strat

Amps:
Fender Blues Jr. III

Pedals:
A Bunch =)