Hey guys, happy holidays!

I'm looking for my first ever Fender, and I'm torn between a:

-Fender Limited Edition American Vintage '70s Hardtail Strat

or a

-Fender American Special Telecaster

I know that they're completely different guitars, but they're about the same price and both have hardtails (which I prefer). I can only afford one for now, as the other will have to wait at a later time (because we got to have both sooner or later, right? lol). Which one do you guys think should be the first Fender to get between the two? Where I live, there's only one store that sells this specific strat model, and with only one left. Apparently, there were only 500 of these ever made. At the same time, even though this tele isn't limited, I think it's also just as awesome. I've played both, and it seems harder to decide now....

What do you guys recommend? Which was your first Fender? Are there other guitars you think I should look into?

Thanks!
Well.Only you can really decide whether you like a Strat or Tele tbh.You need to try them.I like both.
There's not much love in here for American Specials but i have to say that whenever i've tried them i really like them.
Hardtail Strats can feel a little tight for string bends.I have a '77 and that is the case with that.Also the same experience when i locked down my mim's trem.You may not mind that though.See if you can try em.
what kinda music are you playing? what kinda tones are you going for? those'll help with suggestions
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by EyeballPaul
Hardtail Strats can feel a little tight for string bends.I have a '77 and that is the case with that.Also the same experience when i locked down my mim's trem.You may not mind that though.See if you can try em.
Probably your '77 has small frets and a tight fretboard radius? The '70s hardtail limited edition is basically a modern Strat dressed as a CBS, so the modern fretboard and frets might compensate a bit for that.

OP, have you played both Strats and Teles in the past? If not, that's step one as the practicalities of playing one might rule out one immediately. I like both Strats and Teles in theory but when I play Strats it just doesn't work out, whereas Teles fit me great. My first real Fender was a Tele because I wanted something simple and solid, and it delivered. Both will play just about any music and do a great job of it, but a stock Strat generally won't quite achieve the same sound as a Tele bridge pickup and a Tele won't achieve the in-between (2nd and 4th) positions on a Strat pickup selector, so if you're super into either of those tones, you might have your answer there. For the most part, any genre you'll find Strats in you'll find Teles in, and vice versa, although a Tele would be the safe choice if you're into country and they're pretty in-fashion for indie and pop punk stuff at the moment.

The short version is that the two guitars are similar enough that your personal preference between the two will make a much more significant difference than any practicalities that might make one or the other better suited to any given situation. If you're into high-gain metal stuff there are more practical choices than either, but besides that if you want a Fender it's really your choice to make. Though by the time I post this probably the suggestions for other brands you could buy instead of a Fender will have appeared, and probably many of them will be good suggestions.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Wow, thanks for answering guys.

Yes, I have tried playing both guitars in my local music store. For the strat though, they didn't have the 70 hardtail demo (I'm guessing since it's the only one left, sealed in a box), so I just tried the standards and the specials strats they had as demos. I like both the strat and tele actually, which makes it that much harder to decide. The strat played easier(?) because of it's more ergonomic design (for me at least, my right shoulder doesnt get as tense), but at the same time, there is something about a tele that's just so appealing. i can't quite describe it....

i play mostly rockabilly, blues, bluesy rock type of music (and also a little bit of jazz, funk and country/folk here and there). i heard strats and teles are very versatile so that's why i've narrowed it down to these 2 so far.
Yeah, you'll be fine with either so it really doesn't come down to anything much besides which feel and which set of features you want.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by myfingershurtplaying
Wow, thanks for answering guys.

Yes, I have tried playing both guitars in my local music store. For the strat though, they didn't have the 70 hardtail demo (I'm guessing since it's the only one left, sealed in a box), so I just tried the standards and the specials strats they had as demos. I like both the strat and tele actually, which makes it that much harder to decide. The strat played easier(?) because of it's more ergonomic design (for me at least, my right shoulder doesnt get as tense), but at the same time, there is something about a tele that's just so appealing. i can't quite describe it....

i play mostly rockabilly, blues, bluesy rock type of music (and also a little bit of jazz, funk and country/folk here and there). i heard strats and teles are very versatile so that's why i've narrowed it down to these 2 so far.
Do you usually play sitting down? If your playing position standing is different to how you play sitting, that might be the issue here. If the staff know you're serious about buying, they might be willing to let you try them standing.

It depends a lot on the store and it's policy, though. Certainly I tried both my LP Classic and Standard standing in store, but then again, I'm in my 30's and have bought a fair bit from that store, including my MIA Deluxe Strat.

Still, you can ask. Worst thing that could happen is they'll say no.