Hello people of the Global Communication Entity we call the internet.
So, I got a question.
Whats the lowest I can tune my guitar with the set up I have without any damage.
I have 2 guitars, my peavy predator is set for drop C
And my Ibanez is set for standard,
But... What if on my ibanez I wanted to tune it down 1/2 step down (Eb, Ab,Db....) and leave it that way
Would there be any damage?
How about a whole step down?
And what if I tuned it to a half step down for 30 min and back up to standard after
Would constant tuning be a tension change be a problem?
Okay thank you, but as of right now
Would having my guitar thats setup for standard be a half step down cause anything?
Its really small change but can it make a difference?
Tony is right if you have a hard tail you should have no issues going 1/2 step down if tou have a floating trem you will be having to adjust your spring tension to balance out the loss of string tension in order to get it properly floating again does your Ibanez have an Edge tremolo?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine
No, I dont have a floating trem,i got a hardtail.
Ive been playing some greenday lately and some songs are Eb
So i wanted to be able to be in both tuning with my Standard setup.
Whats the longest that i should leave my guitad in a half step down with standard tuning set up?
Or should I tune back up after im done practicing?
juanbustos556

Honestly 1/2 step is not much difference you should be able to tune freely between standard and 1/2 step and not bother retuning back to standard when you are done until you are going to play in standard again .

Back when I had only a couple of guitars I did this all the time with my hard tail with no adverse effects. If you start dropping 1 whole step or more for long periods of time then you may have to adjust your trussrod anf intonate.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

It sounds like you are putting way too much thought into this. You won't damage anything. If you keep the guitar in E standard, set it up for E Standard. If you keep it in Eb or D then set it up that way. Changing between 1/2 steps shouldn't cause you to resetup the guitar assuming it was setup optimally to begin with.

If you are that worried or always want a perfect setup this is a great reason to buy another guitar for Eb and yet another for D. In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by juanbustos556
Evilnine
Okay thank you, so how long would be the maximum time to keep the guitar a whole step down?
Thansk for the advice. I appreciate it.

Forever? I keep two of my guitars in dropC all the time, and besides adjusting the intonation and truss rod, there was nothing else i had to do. And another guitar has been changed from standard down to dropA and everything in between with many different string gauges many times over the last 5 or even more years, and it has zero damage from that.

Most guitars are not some fragile things that just fall apart.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.

Lol, spoken like a true guitarist +1

juanbustos556
You seem to worry about damaging the guitar if you change the tuning. How come? Somehow many beginner guitarists believe that they can easily break the gutiar's neck if they even make the slightest change to their instrument. Even if you tried to damage your neck by tuning it, you most likely won't be able to even remotely damage it, don't worry. They are not made of some cheap chipboard wood, they are made of durable and quality woods and have a steel trussrod in them. Many guitarists change their tuning on an almost daily basis and their gutiars are just fine.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Yeah, I already knew I was putting too much thiught into it. But thanks, ill think ill just focus on playing the hell out of it.
Quote by Tony Done
Tuning down and up again won't damage anything, but it means that the setup might have to be adjusted work with both tunings. A floating trem would be messy, since they are designed to work at one string tension.

yeah pretty much

the big thing (aside from the setup) is that if you tune down too far (especially if you're already using light gauge strings) the strings will feel like elastic bands it won't damage the guitar but won't be much fun to play on.

Quote by metalmingee

definitely.

i've totally bought guitars because I was going to use them in a different tuning.

I plead the fifth as to whether I've actually got as far as putting them into that different tuning.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 1, 2017,