I got a Jackson KVXMG for Christmas and I love everything about the guitar with the exception of the Fretboard, it's rosewood (which is normally fine) but he guitar is white and I absolutely hate the aesthetic of the brown on white with black hardware. Is it possible to find a Jackson produced ebony Fretboard and swap it with the original? The guitar is neck through so a replacement neck is not an option.
^ yeah. i dunno anything about staining, but if that's possible (and it might be, I know that some manufacturers do that to make their ebony look higher-quality than it actually is ) that might be the cost-effective solution.

apart from that, there's the USA King V...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try some Fiebings leather dye to darken it, if you're particularly concerned. With all due respect, anyone asking if a fingerboard swap is possible definitely shouldn't pursue it; it's a hell of a lot of work, and Jackson won't sell a fretted fingerboard to drop in. Just enjoy your awesome guitar.
Tony Done
Quote by Tony Done
-MintSauce-

Have you tried leather dye in that application? I wondering if it would come off on the fingers. By default I would use ebony stain, as noted by Dave_Mc. It seems to be very intense and doesn't come off on the fingers.

I've never felt the need, but I've read about it being used plenty; Stew Mac used to sell it for this application. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't rub off and it stains a more authentic tone than some 'ebonising' wood stains, which end up looking more of a charcoal colour. Obviously test on scrap and be careful, whatever the choice.
Cool thanks guys! I appreciate the input. I think I'm going to attempt to pursue the dye route. Does anybody have a link to a website that would sell an appropriate type?
First of all, I wouldn't recommend arsing around with a Christmas present like that, secondly, if you are the type of person to not know about swapping fret boards and fret board dye, you probably aren't qualified to even attempt something like this in the first place, no offense, but you sound like a kid/teenager who has no real clue hat he is doing and will probably end up ruining your Christmas present.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma no offense taken however I am 20 years old and have a good deal of experience modifying guitars (I have 4 that I've purchased myself and have done some light modifications to such as pickup swaps, removing the gloss finishes on necks and replacing them with satin finishes) and I wouldn't even attempt to perform a job of this caliber, I would certainly find a reputable luthier to modify the guitar.
granty425

By all means fire away then mate, it just breaks my heart when i see threads on here where people have ruined there instruments because of stuff like unscrewing the bolt on for the neck joint without taking the strings off (SNAP).

I think I even saw a thread once where some kid had tried to swap a fretboard on an LTD something or other, he just went at it with a hammer and chisel instead of simply heating up the glue with an iron and having it come off relatively easily.

It was a mess.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma oh man that's just depressing. I wouldn't ever try a big modification without at least having a professional luthier overseeing my work. Thanks for the concern!
There are several options for staining a rosewood fretboard ebony, including Fiebling's Leather Dye ( a standby with guitar techs for years) and Higgins India Ink (what Stewmac is selling now as fretboard stain). You'll want to tape the fretboard up, wipe it with naptha to get anything that will prevent the stain from sinking in, sand it with 600 grit, stain it, let it sit overnight and then give it a "polish" with 0000 steel wool (tape up your pickups first!). You can apply wax to your inlays to prevent the stain from getting on them.

Yanking the fretboard is tricky and time-consuming and can go wrong so many ways. You'll also be dealing with a refinish for parts of the neck, etc. Not a smart decision for a fashion statement.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah. i dunno anything about staining, but if that's possible (and it might be, I know that some manufacturers do that to make their ebony look higher-quality than it actually is ) that might be the cost-effective solution.

apart from that, there's the USA King V...

Yeah, unfortunately ebony that's uniformly dark is exceedingly rare and prohibitively expensive.

Nothing wrong with dying a fretboard though so long as the stain takes to the board well. They only grade ebony based on its aesthetics and nothing else anyway.

A good product I've heard people use is the Minwax staining pens. It's basically the minwax wood stain in a marker, which makes it perfect for drawing the stain around inlays for fear that the plastic will be darkened.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend