Just curious how much to expect to pay for a general guitar set up.
Action, truss, tunomatic bridge, for drop b (if tuning matters). Also I'm in Canada, so let me know if you're US prices or not :p
Thanks
Southern Indiana, so US dollars, but the shop I normally go to charges $30 for a setup.
Frankieanime78

I'm in central Indiana and it costs me $25 USD to restring a Floyd guitar including strings $30-$35 if the intonation is out and that is including a new set of strings.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

In Eastern PA, USA, its between $50-120 USD depending on who and what is done.
$50-80 for the basic setup (you supply the strings).
$80-120 would include minor fretwork if needed.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
$50-75 USD in Denver, depending on what's included. Typically truss adjustment, action/saddle adjustment, cleaning and maybe fret dressing if they're generous. More work than that and they'll probably charge by the hour.
Google is free and it's easy peasy lemon squeezy to setup a guitar yourself
In a shop that has many "name" players do their work 30-75 for a basic..depending on condition of guitar etc,,custom work..fret crowned polished.. neck adjustments..and that stuff - 25/hour plus parts

If you KNOW what your doing try DIY..if you don't..you get what you paid for..
play well

wolf
Quote by Diatribes
Google is free and it's easy peasy lemon squeezy to setup a guitar yourself

This. ^

I am not the smartest guy of the bunch, but I'm not dumb either. I am of average intellect & have no problem setting up my guitars after watching a few videos on YouTube. Keep on tweaking until it feels & sounds right.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
Frankieanime78

I paid $50 in Alberta, and I provided strings at $18 or so.

Unless you're having a trem set, do it yourself. I wish I had.

Edit: if you're having a trem set, which is what I assume a tuneomatic bridge is, you can expect more than $50. Also, if you're near a major centre in Canada, Long & McQuade will do it, but I can't vouch for their quality.
Last edited by SovietStar at Dec 28, 2016,
About the worst you could do messing with your guitar is a slip of a tool. Adjusting tremolo, truss rod, intonation, all relatively easy. Just don't go crazy on your truss rod. Like, 1/3-1/2 turn before you check neck relief. Make sure you retune after adjusting truss rod also.
But like I said, a slip of a tool can suck. Not just scratching your finish. If you slip on a truss rod nut, you could very well strip it out.
I would say watch several videos. If you still don't feel comfortable tweaking your geet, just pay the money. Better to be out $50 than have one of those "oh shit" moments.
But if you do have someone work on your ride, make sure you give it a once over before you leave. The knucklehead tech at Capitol Guitar put a scratch on my ESP M2 with a screwdriver switching my pups out. Kinda ticked me off. Even though my M2 is very much a "player guitar". That said, I'd prefer to be the one to put "character" on her, not some dip shit I'm paying money to.
Last edited by Diatribes at Dec 28, 2016,
Quote by SovietStar
Frankieanime78

Edit: if you're having a trem set, which is what I assume a tuneomatic bridge is,

Woah!.. If you do not know the difference between a tune-O-matic bridge and a tremolo bridge, maybe you shouldn't comment buddy. I'm not trying to be harsh.

Op, I would only take it in for adjustment after attempting to do it yourself , at least that way they can't charge you for something they never did because you wouldn't know the difference anyway, like a tress rod adjustment, which is more likely than not fine. Best of luck.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Quote by Ikillintel
Woah!.. If you do not know the difference between a tune-O-matic bridge and a tremolo bridge, maybe you shouldn't comment buddy. I'm not trying to be harsh.

I lol @ that.
Fckn harsh man! πŸ˜‚
Quote by Diatribes
I lol @ that.
Fckn harsh man! πŸ˜‚

That's not my intent , but if you got a chuckle so be it. Nice score on the GJ2.. looking forward to a full review.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Quote by Ikillintel
Woah!.. If you do not know the difference between a tune-O-matic bridge and a tremolo bridge, maybe you shouldn't comment buddy. I'm not trying to be harsh. .

You were, and saying I'm not trying to doesn't give you licence to be ignorant. I gave him a price that he could expect, nothing more. If you can't take that away from my post, then you are as thick as you are "harsh". Grow up.
Hey guys cmon I think there may be a bit of a misunderstanding. I was just having fun. I wasn't trying to make it at anyone's expense. I apologize if anyone misread my post ✌🏻
$50 at the local good shop. I don't know how much the mass consumption shop charges though.
Quote by SovietStar
You were, and saying I'm not trying to doesn't give you licence to be ignorant. I gave him a price that he could expect, nothing more. If you can't take that away from my post, then you are as thick as you are "harsh". Grow up.

I really wasn't , but I'm the ignorant one ! HA!

Quote by Diatribes
Hey guys cmon I think there may be a bit of a misunderstanding. I was just having fun. I wasn't trying to make it at anyone's expense. I apologize if anyone misread my post ✌🏻

My newest addition,
Last edited by Ikillintel at Dec 29, 2016,
bout tree fiddy

fo real tho... it depends. You can get a basic 'local setup' from a random shop for 30-40 bucks. Doubt any of these places will take the time to measure pickup or string heights. Usually these places will just set intonation, minor truss rod adjustment then lower the strings til they just start to buzz.

From a real shop you could pay 60-100 bucks. They'll probably ask for measurements if you have anything specific in mind. Could take a week or more when you can pick it back up.

Best thing to do is watch youtube and do it yourself. A guitar setup is so easy its not worth paying anyone else to do it. Intonation, Truss Rod Adjustment, action height, pickup height.

Some people will say that the truss rod is something so important you should take it to someone else so you don't screw it up... well yea. its so simple to do just don't screw up.
It's just an allen wrench you turn one way or the other in small amounts at a time. Then check strings/neck and turn some more. Done. Money Saved.
Last edited by cheesefries at Dec 30, 2016,
I am a tech with my own shop in Des Moines. I charge $40. That includes setting action across the entire neck to customer specs (relief, nut, bridge/saddle), , check for fret buzzing (minor fret dressing if needed), nut dressing, check all hardware and electronics, setting intonation, adjust trem if applicable, clean guitar, restring if requested (strings not included). When I'm done it will play better than it ever has or it goes back on the bench until it does. If it needs additional work (fret level, electronics, etc), I'll discuss before proceeding.
$60-80 USD or so seems to be the norm in the Seattle area, from what I've seen - that's for a hard-tail guitar. Floyd/locking trem setups tend to creep into the $75-$120 range. Bear in mind that COL is pretty high here, so many goods/services tend to go for a bit of a premium.

Your best bet it to call some shops near you and ask what they charge.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff