So I'm having a luthier build an explorer shaped 7 string. Based more so off the Explorer shape done by ESP, made famous by James Hetfield.

To me, theres not much difference between the 2,if any at all.

I'm having it built with a 25.5 scale vs a 24.75.

I asked for the body shape to be increased in size to accommodate the 7th string a the scale length, and was told that there is no need to do that. That the original shape is fine.

Is this correct? Any photo shop wizards out there?
Quote by Sir Stoney
So I'm having a luthier build an explorer shaped 7 string. Based more so off the Explorer shape done by ESP, made famous by James Hetfield.

To me, theres not much difference between the 2,if any at all.

I'm having it built with a 25.5 scale vs a 24.75.

I asked for the body shape to be increased in size to accommodate the 7th string a the scale length, and was told that there is no need to do that. That the original shape is fine.

Is this correct?

No reason to increase the size of the body for either 7 strings or longer scale.
They might need to widen the neck joint is my guess. A 25.5" scale may not be enough to offset the body, depending on the wood used on the body. If it's not enough to have some neck dive, you're probably okay.

That's my uneducated guess, but you're working with 2 of the most common scale lengths. As long as the body and strap points don't offset the neck enough for it to dive, the body won't need a special design. It might be a problem if you have a 27-28" scale in the baritone territory.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Probably not. As long as the body is sufficiently heavy, you should be fine. I think V's have more of an issue with neck dive, whereas Explorer and the like styles still retain enough wood in the body to negate the neck. The 24.75" neck helps, no doubt, but it seems like Explorer bodys have enough body to stay properly weighted.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz

bjgrifter I can also change the woods if I need too. Im using a Mahogany body, Maple Neck, Ebony Fretboard. I wanted more clarity than I usually get. I want a very percussive sound.
I'm not sure on wood densities, but if that's heavier than basswood, that's a good move. I'm no expert, but with electrics, the wood has little to nothing to do with sound because the pickups take the sound vibrations and send them to the jack and thus through the amp. Tone woods matter for acoustics much more than electrics. The only advantage, as I've mentioned, would come down to densities for weight purposes. The axe could be made from super-glued ramen and you could toss some Nazgul/Sentient pickups in it and nobody would know the difference.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz