Hi all. I just got a new distortion pedal (MXR Fullbore Metal) for christmas, and so far im not a fan. It has a really "tinny" metalic tone to it, and just doesnt sound good in my opinion. So, im looking for a new one around the same price range (about $100) I mainly play metallica and some slayer, so a pedal that could give me something near that would be best.

Current Gear:
Guitar - Washburn Nuno Bettencourt signature model
Amp - Blackstar ID Core (been playing for a few months, picked it up for a first amp, plus i dont see myself playing live any time soon)

Thanks
The Fullbore Metal is not the most esteemed "metal pedal" out there, but your main problem is the amp. A SS amp like that typically will not take drive pedals very well, compared to how a proper tube amp would react to the pedal. You will get better results using the amp by itself. Also you may be tempted to scoop mids (reducing the midrange knob), but do not- a lot of the "meat" of the guitar tone lives in that frequency range. I would save some money for a better amp in the future. You say you have just started playing, so I would suggest to not invest a lot of money into it for the time being.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 27, 2016,
how do you have your amp set up. while the full bore isn't the best it's far from the worst. EQ could play a big part in why your not happy. you just got this pedal so I think you need to take some time with it before rejecting it.
One distortion pedal in my collection I keep going back to is the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde(I have the v2 pedal). The od side isn't great in my opinion but I really like the distortion side.

You can get the son of Hyde which is just the distortion as well.

Truetone now makes these pedals but I haven't played with one yet so I can't comment on how that one sounds.
What are your settings.. bass / mid / treble / gain
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
psp742 I currently have it running through a clean channel.

Amp:
Gain - 3
EQ - 3
(One band ISF EQ)

Pedal:
Gain - 3
Bass - 7
Mid - 3
High - 5

It sounds really metalic and sharp no matter what i have it set on. Any ideas what i could try?
turn up your mids. the scooped thing may seem like a cool idea but it doesn't work very well in real life.
Hi all. I just got a new distortion pedal (MXR Fullbore Metal) for christmas, and so far im not a fan. It has a really "tinny" metalic tone to it, and just doesnt sound good in my opinion. So, im looking for a new one around the same price range (about $100) I mainly play metallica and some slayer, so a pedal that could give me something near that would be best.

Current Gear:
Guitar - Washburn Nuno Bettencourt signature model
Amp - Blackstar ID Core (been playing for a few months, picked it up for a first amp, plus i dont see myself playing live any time soon)

Thanks [/QUOT

The problem isn't your pedal . It's the amp you are using it on . Using any pedal on a modeler amp is usually going to be a bad idea . You need to use it on a clean amp so you can get the most from your pedal . my guess is that your blackstar is digital and you're using a clean mode on it to run your pedal . That still won't give you the best tone from your pedal . Any mode you use will just color the tone of your pedal . Save your $100 and buy a used combo to use that pedal on .
Quote by Will Lane
At the moment, I would stay stick with your amp and learn it and get the best results out of it, but most of all- practice.

yeah this is it in a nut shell. your amp is very limited and I'm assuming one of the low watt models that have tiny speakers. don't expect to get awesome tones from it or to be able to nail (fill in guitar hero here). best thing you can do is to take some time to really experiment with what you have and save for a way better amp. and practice for sure
monwobobbo It still has that sharpness and doesnt sound as punchy as id like. Am i just SOL because of my amp, or is there something else i could try?
Quote by bubbak928
esky15 Do you have any idea how it would sound through a SS amp?

I used to play it through the clean channel of a Marshall mg50 actually and it sounded pretty good.

Unfortunately, I've never played with any black star amps so I don't know how they sound, but like they said. More mids might help.
esky15

I like my V2 J&H, and I like the new TrueTone stuff. Probably will get the V3 J&H and the VS-XO, too. (And one of their power bricks, FWIW.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by bubbak928
monwobobbo It still has that sharpness and doesnt sound as punchy as id like. Am i just SOL because of my amp, or is there something else i could try?

what model amp do you have exactly? if its one of the smaller ones then the issue isn't the pedal so much as the speakers.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
esky15

I like my V2 J&H, and I like the new TrueTone stuff. Probably will get the V3 J&H and the VS-XO, too. (And one of their power bricks, FWIW.)

How does the v3 sound?
I only got to mess around with it or a few minutes at a guitar show, but it seemed to me that it's got a similar overall sound....but with more control. I've come to believe what another UGer (Dave_MC?) said about their switching the OD from a tubescreamer circuit to a Nobels. But I didn't have time to really explore it. (I spent a lot of time looking at the power supply.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I own a Peavey Envoy 110 made in USA Teal stripe (35-watts) and Silver stripe (40-watts modded with 12inch Peavey speaker). Both have Peavey Transtube technology.

Anyways there is a suggested setting in the manual..

I prefer it over the new release versions.. if you can get your hands on a Peavey Bandit 112.. 60watts.. should be enough for small gigs.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 27, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I only got to mess around with it or a few minutes at a guitar show, but it seemed to me that it's got a similar overall sound....but with more control. I've come to believe what another UGer (Dave_MC?) said about their switching the OD from a tubescreamer circuit to a Nobels. But I didn't have time to really explore it. (I spent a lot of time looking at the power supply.)

Yeah. As I said before, I think they actually said they'd done that on an older version of their website, but they've changed the website now. But yeah I think so.
Quote by Will Lane
The Fullbore Metal is not the most esteemed "metal pedal" out there, but your main problem is the amp. A SS amp like that typically will not take drive pedals very well, compared to how a proper tube amp would react to the pedal.

Yeah. And it's worth noting that plenty of tube amps can also sound tinny when you run dirt pedals into them if the amp is set totally clean, especially if they're brightish/sparkly (blackface fendery- with that bright cap?).

Basically if you know that's the main sound you want, in most cases an amp aimed at those tones is a better plan. the metal distortion pedal is kind of a way to get a sort of approximation of those type of tones if you only need them occasionally (and hence can't justify an amp aimed solely at those type of tones).
Quote by monwobobbo
what model amp do you have exactly? if its one of the smaller ones then the issue isn't the pedal so much as the speakers.
yeah pretty much
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?