I have a AC30C2x and use Fender Tele and Strat.

Same basic problem most AC30 owners have, can't switch between channels. I know "ABY Switch" and in most cases, this works. But I am picky.

I'm using channel jumping/chaining/whatever you want to call it to get my dirty sound. If you don't know what that is, I plug my guitar into the High Top Boost jack. Then I take a 1/4" to 1/4" patch/jumper cable and plug one in into the Low Top Boost and the other into the High Normal Channel. This allows my signal to hit all preamps before going into the power section resulting in a sound that I love! This is my dirty sound and I want to keep it this way. The issue with this is now I have no clean sound. Rolling down the volume knob on my guitar or using a volume pedal will not give me the clean sound I am after either. I also love the cleans on this amp when running just the Normal channel. Is there anyway to get the best of both worlds without buying two amps!?!? I am also willing to mod it if I can, anyone know of any mods that can give me what I want? I have been thinking about everything.

I have tried using ABY and sending my guitar signal into the High inputs of both Normal and Top Boost channels, but it is not the same as jumping.
I am thinking about maybe a trim pedal on the frontend, with a clean boost in the FX loop. That way it cleans up the preamp signal but gives me a volume increase overall from the power sections.

Any suggestions or help?
Buy a Fender amp for cleans?
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
distortion/overdrive pedal? have the amp on clean and turn the pedal on for dirty sound?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Taylor23 I thought the C2 series couldn't use the input jumper trick. I guess so. I'll need to try it with mine.

If you can maybe figure out a way to "bypass" the jumper cable that would be the first option to try. It would allow you to just use the TB channel (clean), then the TB and Normal (dirty) jumpered as you like. What I am thinking is a killswitch box (either lets signal pass or not, essentially just two jacks and a switch) and run one end of one of the jumpered inputs to the pedal, and the output of the pedal into the other jumpered input. That is kind of a messy setup though, not the most practical. Also with the jack just plugged into one of the jumpered input and open, not connected to the other input, may give some undesirable results. You could try it though.

Probably the most ideal and practical option is just to get a drive pedal. You would dial in your amp cleaner than you currently like, with the jumpered inputs, but then goose the signal with a drive pedal. I imagine you would want a "transparent" overdrive so that the amp is boosted with gain but nothing more. A few options for that are the JHS Morning Glory, Emerson EM Drive, and the Paul Cochrane Timmy. Although you will find there may be a little bit of color with them. Another option that I like with my C2 are Klones, which have just a little bit of mid boost and sparkle.

How "dirty" are you talking? Just a traditional VOX breakup? Or are you talking hard-rock levels of gain? Boosting the amp to get some extra breakup but not heavy saturation would be best suited to one of the above listed transparent drives or a Klone. But if you wanted to get higher saturation levels you may want to get something with a bit more color and gain. I personally use a Chellee Ponyboy with my C2 for the breakup enhancement, and then goose it with a Fulldrive 2.
I'm intrigued at OP's assertion that jumping and an ABY don't yield the same result. Electrically it's the same thing, so unless there's something I'm missing it shouldn't be any worse or even noticeably different. Bad cables or too much cable run, no buffer, maybe a bad ABY, could be a few things. But the Y really should sound just the same as jumping. I'd give that another try before giving up.

For a really disparate dirty/clean setup, though, there's really not a great way with the AC30 besides a dirt box of some sort. At some volumes you can kinda-sorta get the channels to work out, but it's just so much easier to toss a pedal in front. You can always do that into an ABY and still get all the channel combinations.
ThunderPunk I would if that were an option. Wife would kill me if I brought home another amp as i had to beg her this was the one i wanted and nothing else.(her fault for believing a musician I guess)JAHellraiser Also, i really don't want to carry two amps to my small gigs. Normally only play to about 100 people.

JAHellraiser issues is the dirty sound I get from the amp is what I am after. this would kill that sound.

Will Lane I have been thinking the same thing with the "kill switch" option, but like you said, it would be messy and may not work. I will look into the pedals you suggested. I have a TubeScreamer right now, but it colors the VOX sound too much for me. I like to use it as a slight boost. I am not looking for very much distortion, just that sweet overdrive you get from jumping it. Try it out with your amp, crank TB up to about 90% and Normal to 100%. Then start turn master volume up from 0 slowly. Its beautiful, warm, but a little crunchy. for me, its the exact sound I am looking for. I really hate to mess it up with a pedal, but i will try out the ones you suggested.
Other good options for a relatively transparent boost pedal with a hint of dirt would be the ThorpyFX Peacekeeper, the Magnetic Effects' Satellite and the Keeley Katana Blues Drive.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Roc8995 I thought the same thing with the ABY. But I just looked at the schematics of the ac30c2x and it looks like there is a link after the first 12AX7 grid signal of the TopBoost to the input of the Normal. The way the 12AX7 works is the signal is amplified twice back to back within one tube. Pinching off the signal prior to the second amplification gives you the "Normal" channel and allowing for the full use of the first 12AX7 when running TopBoost as it sends original signal through grid in opposite direction. If this is actually happening, that means the signal is getting amplified then getting send out the Normal input, back into the low of the Top Boost. That why it sounds different(dirtier) with jumper than ABY(same signal into both sides of amp.

Everything I just said could be total BS, I'm no expert in how this amp works. I just watched a few youtube videos and read the schematic. Sounds like it may be close though.
You're seeing cascading, but that's got nothing to do with the inputs. Jumping the inputs happens before any of that. You're not running the signal through a gain stage and then somehow back out through the input jack. The input jacks for each channel are just in parallel so if you put a patch between them you send signal to both by bridging (hence "jumping") the channels. It's really as simple as that and I still suspect that something's dodgy in your signal chain if it's sounding worse with an ABY than with a jumper.

If you've got the schematic you can see that each input runs through a resistor and a cap or two (to ground) before the junction to the main board. That's literally all that's there when you jump the channels. Besides that you might as well be using a Y-splitter in front of the amp. If you really think that's what's making the difference, toss those parts in your ABY box and see what happens. But there's no magic going on here with one channel running through an extra gain stage using the jumper method or anything. It's dead simple.

If your ABY is losing some high-end because of the extra split and cable runs, putting a buffered OD type pedal in front of it would solve that problem as well as giving you more distortion when you want it. There are definitely some things that might cause the ABY to be working poorly, but none of the reasons you're thinking of.
Quote by Taylor23
Roc8995 I thought the same thing with the ABY. But I just looked at the schematics of the ac30c2x and it looks like there is a link after the first 12AX7 grid signal of the TopBoost to the input of the Normal. The way the 12AX7 works is the signal is amplified twice back to back within one tube. Pinching off the signal prior to the second amplification gives you the "Normal" channel and allowing for the full use of the first 12AX7 when running TopBoost as it sends original signal through grid in opposite direction. If this is actually happening, that means the signal is getting amplified then getting send out the Normal input, back into the low of the Top Boost. That why it sounds different(dirtier) with jumper than ABY(same signal into both sides of amp.

Everything I just said could be total BS, I'm no expert in how this amp works. I just watched a few youtube videos and read the schematic. Sounds like it may be close though.
Taylor23

no that's not what is happening.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Roc8995 Ok, yeah that did seem like it would be some kinds of magic. I'm still trying to learn about the patch each signal takes, not understanding why the Normal inputs are wired into both sides of the first 12AX7. Interesting stuff though. But yeah, if what I thought was correct, I would be able to plug another amps input into this input and get sound haha.

Ok so I need to try a better ABY pedal. I just had a cheap $50 Morley ABY Channel Switcher. Do you have a better one to suggest?
Unless your ABY is malfunctioning that one should be fine. I used a Morley ABY on EL84 type amps for years with issues. It does help to have a boost or a buffer in front of it.
Roc8995 Ok ill try that one last time. If not, then I think ill save up some money for a Kinsley Jester. I have been looking for videos with one in front of a Vox AC30, but not much success. But from what I have been reading, and after hearing it in front of a few other amps, this thing is one great sounding pedal.
a 12ax7 is a duel tube. there are two gain stages in there.

input 1 uses one side and input 2 using the other side.

when you jump the inputs you are sending signal to both sides which then gets summed up into the next stage. they aren't getting cascaded into each other. It's the same as if you put a boost pedal in front of either input.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
http://www.soundscheapmusic.com/product/hbehomebrewelectronicspaulgilbertsignaturedetoxeq

Check out the homebrew detox eq. Paul Gilbert uses it like you would use your volume i in to turn down for cleans. But you can use the eq on it to make the clean sound right. I guess theoretically you could use any eq that allows you to cut volume.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣