Hey guys I'm not really a newbie when it comes to playing metal and I've achieved some pretty decent tones over the years but lately I'm having to use Positive Grid's JamUp amp simulator app on iPad (Only due to financial situations so believe me as soon as I am able to I will be buying decent physical gear rather than using amp sims) and I'm having trouble getting that sort of massive monster tone that I want. I want it to sound as mean as Whitechapels older stuff like The Somatic Defilement or This is Exile. Oceano, Molotov Solution, or even Wage War I've really been digging their stuff lately. This app does have potential I know it. I just need some help with amp and fx choice and settings. Anybody on here have any experience with it or even Positive Grid's Bias that could help me out? I'd really appreciate it! Right now I'm using:
The default Noise Gate -> Tube Screamer -> One of their Orange amp models just called an OR 30 -> 4 band EQ (currently have it switched off because I'm not so great with eq settings) and all of this I have running through my Peavey powered mixer and two passive Peavey 12" stage monitors. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by martintrenity at Dec 27, 2016,
Try setting all the EQ's on the amp flat (knobs pointing at 12 o' clock). Set the amp to be at a gain level right before where you would ideally like it. Then boost it with the tubescreamer by setting that with the gain level low, and the volume high. Maybe back off the tone knob of the tubescreamer a bit. Then see where to go from there. Keep in mind that the guitar is primarily a midrange instrument, scooping mids is likely not an ideal tactic.

You may also need to do some tuning to your monitors by adjusting EQ settings on your sound board's master output to try to get the speakers to have as flat a frequency response as possible.
for deathcore i would be looking more 5150 than orange (i have both a 5150 and a rockerverb) .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup Agreed, but on this app I just seem to have better luck with this Orange amp model but maybe I just haven't been doing a great job dialing them in. They have like two different 5150 models I believe, and I've tried them both. I used to have a Peavey 6505+ half stack I was lucky enough to get secondhand for a good price unfortunately due to complications with the band I was in at the time I ended up having to walk away without it.
Quote by martintrenity
trashedlostfdup Agreed, but on this app I just seem to have better luck with this Orange amp model but maybe I just haven't been doing a great job dialing them in. They have like two different 5150 models I believe, and I've tried them both. I used to have a Peavey 6505+ half stack I was lucky enough to get secondhand for a good price unfortunately due to complications with the band I was in at the time I ended up having to walk away without it.

i haven't ever used that app, so i have no idea as far as that goes. i will rack my brain for a few minutes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Will Lane Yeah, I know its not ideal to scoop mids by any means I try not to overdo it, but it doesn't sound so bad for bedroom playing. I play on a Schecter C7 and one of the main issues I run into is ending up sounding to bassy or muddy when I try to get that massive tone I want but I also want to be able to do some screaming PH's at the same time and that results in it not packing the punch I want it to or not sounding big enough if you get what I mean.
I'm going to take your advice and try that out. Do you have any suggestions on how I should set my bass mids and trebs specifically? I usually have the bass somewhere around 7 or 8, the mids anywhere from 4 to 5, and the highs anywhere from 7 to max.
Thanks guy!
Will Lane One more thing. I also have a Peavey SP 2xt passive monitor that has a 15" Black Widow in it. Do you think I should use that instead or stick with the 2 12" inch angled floor monitors I'm using?

Or maybe try using only 1 of my 12" monitors? Sorry if these questions seem stupid.. Lol I'm admittedly not the best at these types of things. I'm much better at just playing, but I'm trying to change all of that!
bass 4-5; mids 6-7; highs 4-5; is what i generally start with tweaking an amp. deathcore you will want more low mids than high mids, i would keep the presence on the lower side,

tubescreamer gain 0; tone (to taste); drive 10;

are you using a compressor in the chain? i say that because the can sound great when done right, but in excess can cause a lot of issues.

i must say that regarding the pinch harmonics , that is more technique than the amp. the right amp makes them pop out a little more, but a player should get them to pop out on any amp and level of gain.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdup I get my PH's to pop out no matter what pretty much all of the time I've practiced them till I thought my roommate would drop kick me out the window if I didn't stop doing them lmao. I'm sure I could improve of course, but you haven't noticed them start "screaming" and sound so much more satisfying after cranking the gain or od to a certain point?

Also as a matter of fact I do have a sustainer compressor that is modeled after some Boss pedal but I also have it turned off because I just couldn't get it to sound right.
This app has pretty much anything you can possibly need though any kind of NoiseGate's, Filters, Stompboxes, Delays, Reverbs, and Modulation like phasers octave etc.
Thanks for the advice I'll try it out now!
Quote by martintrenity
trashedlostfdup I get my PH's to pop out no matter what pretty much all of the time I've practiced them till I thought my roommate would drop kick me out the window if I didn't stop doing them lmao. I'm sure I could improve of course, but you haven't noticed them start "screaming" and sound so much more satisfying after cranking the gain or od to a certain point?

Also as a matter of fact I do have a sustainer compressor that is modeled after some Boss pedal but I also have it turned off because I just couldn't get it to sound right.
This app has pretty much anything you can possibly need though any kind of NoiseGate's, Filters, Stompboxes, Delays, Reverbs, and Modulation like phasers octave etc.
Thanks for the advice I'll try it out now!

pinch harmonics definitely do pop out a little better with more gain and proper EQ'ing. but i was making t he point that if it doesn't exist (the harmonic) you damn well won't hear it... lol.

as far as the compressor, i wouldn't delve into that quite yet, more tweaking first with other things will get you farther.

edit: do you have a graphic or parametric EQ? that is where i do most of my fine tuning (with my DAW)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 27, 2016,
trashedlostfdup Yes actually it has a 4 band Parametric EQ, a Jeff Loomis Parametric EQ, and I also have an EQ on my peavey mixer that covers: 63, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, and 16k. Not sure what each of those frequencies means exactly but I mess around with it sometimes just by ear. The other dude said to try to get the eq set to make my monitors as flat a frequency as possible though.

And yeah thats definitely true about the pinch harmonics, I can produce the actual PH the vast majority of the time the only problem I had with them was trying to get that massive in your face tone and still produce them because it would sound too bassy or muddy and kind of ruin them or have to turn up my noise gate so high that it would interfere with them sounding correctly.
yeah def a high gain peavey amp tone. and if you just have solid state maybe get a buzzsaw type of metal sound.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
do you have access to amplitube by chance? i can get some decent tones with the engl sims, not horrible for what it is.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
do you have access to amplitube by chance? i can get some decent tones with the engl sims, not horrible for what it is.
No I don't man I tried the free version and wasn't digging it I tried a few and ultimately bought the full JamUp app with all expansions. I had friends that reccomended Positive Grid, but I've never heard much about Amplitube. You ever used JamUp or Bias? How does it compare if you have?
no, dont have experience with those. but amplitune with the engl sims are decent, either that or the lepou stuff.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I like to scoop the mids a bit when I am playing by myself at home to bring out the low end, in a band setting the mids are needed to cut through the mix.

I also use my old BBE 465 Sonic Maximizer to help make the low end sound full at home in my little studio. I like to cut through in the mix but it drives me nuts for my guitar to sound thin when I am playing alone.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Dec 28, 2016,
Regarding EQ settings, deathcore doesn't really have as much in the low-end and low mids as many people think while listening to it. The low end comes from the bass guitar, while the rhythm guitars are quad-tracked, gated, and edited heavily. Not a sound I'm particularly fond of, but that's how it's done. Tonally, the guitars are not tuned a whole lot differently than the "djent" sound. There should be an emphasis on the 1.5-1.7 khz region of your mids. That gives it that "duck quack" sound that people seem to enjoy. The lows should be pretty subdued and high-passed (cut everything out below about 125hz).

By itself, one single guitar sound tuned that way won't sound very good. But when added to multiple tracks and lifted up by a bass guitar which is also multi-tracked, that's where the sound comes from.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Are you just using JamUp, or are you using BIAS and importing?

I got the best results creating my amp sounds in BIAS Amp, then importing them into BIAS FX.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.