Got my hands on this tonight, practically for free. I'd say its a DKMG or DXMG based on the EMG-HZ pickups, but the headstock isn't right for those models. I've only found a handful of pics online of this particular combo of shark fins, pickups and headstock. Anyone want to take a shot at it?

Is it a neck through or a bolt on? 'Cause I remeber soloist having 3+3 headstocks and sharkies, as far as I remember dinkies had piranha inlays on 3+3 models, but I may be wrong. It also might be a limited run model made for a store chain, they did a bunch of those.

If it's a bolt-on can you post a pic of the neck plate?
^ Yeah more info would help. the dkmgt (and maybe the dkmg as well) had piranhas but they have the regular 6-a-side headstock as RangerNY66 said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is it an X series?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Thanks for pitching in guys.

Its a bolt-on neck. Here's the neck plate:

This is definitely a bit of a mystery. I grabbed it used at the local Guitar Center where it sat for a while and got marked down to number ridiculously low enough to take a flyer on the thing. Its a fairly well made guitar for sure. I know it wasn't $2000 new, but its no Squire Affinity or Ibanez Gio either. The combination of the 3+3 headstock, shark fin inlays and EMG-HZ pickups doesn't match anything I can find even in old Jackson catalogs.

TSC, I think you may be right. It may have been a special edition for a particular retailer. I'm gonna reach out to Jackson to see if the S/N will give them a clue.

Regardless, I love the thing. Played it for hours last night. Its definitely worth putting a little work into.
I could be wrong but that serial number looks like it's probably a japanese one. if so it's probably a nice guitar, and if you got it at a really good price, hard to go wrong.

EDIT: yeah you could contact jackson, or maybe check out the jackson charvel forum (jcfonline.com)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 28, 2016,
It's a dinky DXMGT
Nice ride, for practically free.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I could be wrong but that serial number looks like it's probably a japanese one. if so it's probably a nice guitar, and if you got it at a really good price, hard to go wrong.

EDIT: yeah you could contact jackson, or maybe check out the jackson charvel forum (jcfonline.com)

Yeap, the serial number would point to it being made in Japan.

Quote by Diatribes
It's a dinky DXMGT
Nice ride, for practically free.

You're absolutly right. I think it might have been a Musician's Friend exclussive, but that's just a guess based on a quick google search.
Yes, it's a DXMGT and the serial indicates 2004ish Japan. Those were an exclusive model for GC or MF back in the mid 2000's.
RangerNY66 I have the same guitar serial number has 3 where yours has a 2. It was sold to me as a soloist but those are supposed to have neck through body
I exchanged emails today with someone at FMIC and he said this should be a Jackson Dinky. I'm waiting to hear back for more info. I think its bass wood
Quote by wejohnsn
I exchanged emails today with someone at FMIC and he said this should be a Jackson Dinky. I'm waiting to hear back for more info. I think its bass wood

The correct answer was already presented in this thread - it's a Dinky DXMGT. Made in Japan at Chushin Gakki as a limited edition/exclusive run for one of the major US chains in the early/mid 2000's. I believe the body is alder, which would fit with most of the Chushin Gakki Dinkies.

That serial number format is the one used for the bolt-on Japanese Jacksons from 1996 onwards, starting with 96xxxxx in 1996 and rising to somewhere in the 98xxxxx range by the time production stopped in 2011. You're right in that a Soloist is neck-through - the Soloist and Dinky are an identical shape aside from the neck joint. If it's a bolt-on neck, then it's a Dinky*.

*Unless it's 24.75" scale, in which case it's a Fusion. (But this model isn't - it's 25.5", which makes it a Dinky!).