Hey, i am a 14 year old guitarist and vocalist, i have been playing in a fast phased punk band for about 2 years, with my brother on drums, we live in a small town of a thousand citzens in norway, were it is just adult musicians, me and my brother are the only kids who play instruments.

Im really tired of playing punk, its to boring and easy to play. I want to explore new genres but my brother only likes metal (i like metal...) and only wanna play fast punk. We have about 6 songs and we have trouble making new songs, because we never agree on how the song is going to sound like. I dont wanna force him to play something new.

I wish it were more bands to play with, what should i do....
What do you mean with something different? What do you actually want to play? You don't necessarily need 4-5 people to form a band, if you want to play folk or pop or something you can do it with a guitar and a singer.

If you like metal, I see no reason why you couldn't ask your brother if he wants to play some different subgenres. Asking doesn't hurt.

If you plan on moving to a bigger city for high school/uni you could just play in whatever band until then, practice and study, and maybe you have better luck when there are more people around.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I know this is not an answer you wanna hear, but you are 14. You still have a lot of time to get a good band together. High school and then college will open up so many more possibilities. So will a drivers license. Just give it time.

In the mean time, if you dont enjoy playing with your brother, then dont. You dont have an obligation to keep rehersing every week just because you are brothers or whatever. You also dont need him to write songs. Write your own songs, the ones that you like, and then present them to him. If he doesnt like them, then whatever, you just keep writing. At best, you will come to a middle point, where both of you will like the songs. And in worst case scenario, you will get better at songwriting. Im guessing you dont have many gigs, so you dont have to force yourself to do things you dont like.

And remember, first bands almost never work out.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Miscet I can completely relate dude, went through the same thing when I was at school - small town, nobody to play with.

I played with adult musicians. I wasn't into the music they played, but they were much better than me and I learnt a lot.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
punk drums sound good with clean guitars. you can make punk without it just being the same stuff everyone's heard a million times
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
There's nothing wrong with experimenting with your tone by trying out new pedals, or by learning new techniques. That's part of how musicians grow; how subgenres get created. That's how bands like Bad Brains and The Mars Volta happen. Inspired by Rose Tattoo, fellow UGer Cathbard has incorporated some wicked slide into the core sound of his punk band, SlydeKrieg.

https://slydekrieg.bandcamp.com/releases

When you're not playing with your bro, practice what you want to learn.

(Personally, I've played metal songs with my surf guitar setup, Latin stuff with new wave effects, funk tunes with high distortion, etc.)

Also, there's nothing wrong with playing with like-minded older musicians.

And besides, as others pointed out, you're young yet, and tastes and skill levels change. Alex Skolnick had long established metal cred from his years as led guitarist for Testament, but in the past few years, he also formed a jazz trio. Classic rock legend Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple, Rainbow) has done 10 albums of folk rock (Blackmore's Night) with his wife Candace Night.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
And for giggles:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Hail
punk drums sound good with clean guitars. you can make punk without it just being the same stuff everyone's heard a million times

punk drums sound good with everything
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.