Quote by Roc8995
As many times as it needs it.

Fair enough.. just a debate I had with a friend who a store manager told him 2 times a year was standard.. though he was getting ripped off.
I dont usually tune my guitars, The man told him to keep them in shape twice a tear is standard.
Twice a year may very well be standard or at least common for keeping in absolute tip-top shape in some cases. I know a lot of guys who get one setup in fall and one in spring (in severe climates) when the weather changes drastically and the truss rod might need a tweak. What is standard is not the same as what is right for you, though, so I think you might be arguing with a point that was never made. Seems like the shop person answered the first question but you're asking the second. Not much point in arguing if that's the case.

If the person said "twice a year is common" I've got no issue with that. Lots of people do it, or would if they had the time and money, and even if it's more often than most people need, he's pushing a service and it's easy enough to take that into account. If the claim was that you really need to do it twice a year to have a properly playable guitar, in all circumstances, and the guy was pushy about it, sure, that's not right. But I've never heard anything like that.
Quote by Roc8995
Twice a year may very well be standard or at least common for keeping in absolute tip-top shape in some cases. I know a lot of guys who get one setup in fall and one in spring (in severe climates) when the weather changes drastically and the truss rod might need a tweak. What is standard is not the same as what is right for you, though, so I think you might be arguing with a point that was never made. Seems like the shop person answered the first question but you're asking the second. Not much point in arguing if that's the case.

If the person said "twice a year is common" I've got no issue with that. Lots of people do it, or would if they had the time and money, and even if it's more often than most people need, he's pushing a service and it's easy enough to take that into account. If the claim was that you really need to do it twice a year to have a properly playable guitar, in all circumstances, and the guy was pushy about it, sure, that's not right. But I've never heard anything like that.

Thanks!