I've been looking around for a new guitar and the Fender Jim Root Telecaster seriously caught my eye.
This guitar has a Fender version and also a cheaper Squier version.

The Fender runs for abound 1100$ and the Squier for about 400$
From what I've seen and read the only difference is the pickups, the Fender comes with active 60 & 81 EMG's and the Squier just has passive EMG's.
Getting the same active EMG's will cost 200$, so my question is, if I get a squier and simply change the pickups will there be a difference from the Fender?
Most of the difference is in the setup. If you know how to adjust the nut and saddle, level frets, and adjust the truss rod then with a pickup swap you should be able to make it play and sound like the Fender version. So it's a bit more involved than a simple pickup swap but only a bit.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Dude47

Getting the same active EMG's will cost 200$, so my question is, if I get a squier and simply change the pickups will there be a difference from the Fender?

Yes.

The Squier is going to be a lot more cheaply made in general.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Thank you all for the answers.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yes.

The Squier is going to be a lot more cheaply made in general.

Obviously the general quality of the build is not going to be as good, since I'm a bedroom player and this guitar will barely see daylight it's not my biggest concern
Dude47

I'm a bedroom player, too. IME, regardless of your skill level or the venues you play, the more time you spend with a guitar, the more you'll notice its strong and weak points.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Dude47
Thank you all for the answers.

Obviously the general quality of the build is not going to be as good, since I'm a bedroom player and this guitar will barely see daylight it's not my biggest concern

Being a bedroom player is precisely why the build quality should be the biggest concern ever. You are gonna spend hundreds of hours playing this guitar. Do you really wanna cheap out and get something that wont feel and play as good? Thats like buying uncomfortable shoes because you will never use them for competitive sprinting, yet you still wear them everyday.
I very rarely take my best playing guitar on gigs. I rather take the shittier and worse built, because i wont care as much if they get damaged. But at home i play the best feeling instrument almost exclusively.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
gorkyporky
Well put.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!