Good morning. I am within days of ordering a practice amp and I believe I have it narrowed down to 2 choices, but I'd like to get some feedback before I make my move. I want a low wattage modeling amp in the $150-200 price range that has USB connection and good headphone sound quality. I also want a broad tone range and effects. After looking at other on line groups and product demos, I believe my best choices are the Vox VT20X and BOSS Katana 50. I don't gig live, occasionally play with other musicians, but spend a lot of time playing to music files accessed from my PC and recording to Audacity. Right now I'm using my Pod X3 for this and I like the results. But my last amps were purchased 10 years ago and buyer's remorse sets in every time I fire them up (Spider III 15 and MG50DFX).

Until last night, I had tagged the Vox as my first choice, but a member from another group suggested the Katana 50 as an alternative. The Vox has everything I want, but I've read a few negative comments regarding the quality of the headphone output. The Katana is new and useful feedback has been a bit scarce. But it has a few features that made me reconsider the Vox. The 12" speaker (vs 8" in the Vox) got my attention and the full-sized USB "B" connection looks to be more durable than Vox's mini. The control panel is certainly simpler, but not a deciding factor. The one feature that really got my interest up is the out power selector that gets down to .5 watt. I never expected to buy an amp over 20 watts, but with the Katana, I hope to be able to cover all of the tone range and have the volume capability as a bonus.

Can I get some advice and opinions from this group? Before making any other amp suggestions, keep in mind that my budget is limited to $200. Have a good day, all.
Maybe just go through the PC with modeling effects/amps?

First, considering $200 budget I doubt any of these would be that good to begin with. 12inch speaker is definitely better, but I wouldn't put much atock into the headphone outs on either amp, just divide price by components and the $ that would go in either of these amps for good headphone sim is miniscule.

I've played the Vox and like it, it is an organic sounding modeler. Based on Katana vids I don't think I can say that for them, although for the $ they seem to do well. You get more amp for $ with the Katana though.
Quote by diabolical

I've played the Vox and like it, it is an organic sounding modeler. Based on Katana vids I don't think I can say that for them, although for the $ they seem to do well. You get more amp for $ with the Katana though.

I was wondering if the difference between the 8" and 12" speakers would be that great as to be the deciding factor, especially considering my intended use. I also instinctively like the single-tube preamp of the Vox, but this may be another feature that could be overblown. I have yet to play through them, so a trip to GC is in the works. Decisions, decisions...
I've got 2 amps with 8" speakers and I really just don't care for them. One is a Vox DA-20 with 2x8. For me the 12 would be the deciding factor, but seriously with $200 I'd spend a lot more time looking used or do everything I could to bump the budget. If that isn't possible. The modeler to PC isn't a bad idea or a powered speaker for your X3.

Edit: another thought is a lower cost PA system for your X3. Phonic has unit with 2x10s for 199
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Dec 30, 2016,
Did you decide between the Vox and the Boss?!  I'm also interested in these two but have not found them in stores together so I'm relegated to YouTube but have my $200 ready to spend!