Is there a way to "revive" an older guitar that I never use anymore? The quality of sound from my Les Paul beats this guitar any day. I have been looking at buying a nice Strat or Tele, but I was wondering if I could mess with my old guitar to get a tone similar to that of a fender. I would be glad to receive any suggestions!

Music Style:
I want this guitar to be perfect for a style such as David Gilmour's or even John Mayer's blues tone. I don't know if that is possible with the pickup setup on this guitar but that would be nice. String gauge recommendations would be much appreciated as well!

Picture:
My experience is similar to this saying that I recently read: "you can't change pickups (or parts) of a bad sounding guitar to make it sound good. You can only make a good sounding guitar sound better".

If you LP is way better sounding than that guitar right now, then you might want to replace the whole guitar.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
8Len8

Hmm. That's the tone wood debate, mostly. I've never been able to judge an electric guitar by its acoustic tone. The guitar might be bad solely because of the pickups and/or the amplification chain- that's happened to me more than a few times. I've been looking for an opportunity to post this . Talent and skillful use of the equipment:

I dunno that guitar has a shorter scale for starters so that affects things. why not trade that guitar in towards a strat. just slapping different pups in won't give you Meyer or Gilmour tones.
I have one of those. The original pups are a disaster. I dropped a set of Railhammer Billy Corgins into it and now it rocks. Those are a tricky P90 without any hum. Very clever, two coils but pole pieces for the bass strings on one coil and pole pieces for the treble strings on the other coil. So it is a humbucker but not really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peter Bitloft at Vintage Vibe makes awesome humbucker sized P90's too. I have a set of those in my 7 string Schecter. They aren't noiseless but they sound great. Maybe drop him a line explaining what you want to achieve. I am sure that he can deliver what you need. He's very helpful.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thank you for all the replies! I understand both sides between 8Len8 and Tony Done. I personally believe that shit wood can affect the pickups due to poor vibrations, but that's speculation and if anything is affected it's minute--further established by Tony's video where a guy is getting killer quality with a tennis racket and Cathbard's comment. I have thought about trading the guitar but I have no idea where to begin and whether it would be the same price as buying pickups (which i highly doubt). It should be noted that since I'm left handed guitars price significantly higher and I doubt that traders would accommodate for that (But thank you for the suggestion monwobobbo and 8Len8. And finally thank you diabolical for all the suggestions for pickups as well.

Conclusion:
I believe I will keep the guitar and look into the pickups that are available. It seems like a fun project to take the guitar apart slightly. I might mess with the the original pickups as well and see how they work because of my interest in Electromagnetism. Does anyone know if its possible to change the bridge and put a whammy on the guitar. I've seen LPs have a whammy so there's probably some way to do it. Anyway thanks for all the help!
Quote by willpentziv
Thank you for all the replies! I understand both sides between 8Len8 and Tony Done. I personally believe that shit wood can affect the pickups due to poor vibrations, but that's speculation and if anything is affected it's minute--further established by Tony's video where a guy is getting killer quality with a tennis racket and Cathbard's comment. I have thought about trading the guitar but I have no idea where to begin and whether it would be the same price as buying pickups (which i highly doubt). It should be noted that since I'm left handed guitars price significantly higher and I doubt that traders would accommodate for that (But thank you for the suggestion monwobobbo and 8Len8. And finally thank you diabolical for all the suggestions for pickups as well.

Conclusion:
I believe I will keep the guitar and look into the pickups that are available. It seems like a fun project to take the guitar apart slightly. I might mess with the the original pickups as well and see how they work because of my interest in Electromagnetism. Does anyone know if its possible to change the bridge and put a whammy on the guitar. I've seen LPs have a whammy so there's probably some way to do it. Anyway thanks for all the help!

yes but the options that actually work aren't cheap. if you want to do dive bombs etc then you might be shit out of luck
willpentziv

Late to the party, but count me as another who think a pickup swap might be the ticket for you...if you really want to resurrect it.

First, as for getting Strat-like tones from a 24.75" scale guitar, it is certainly possible. Here's a demo of a Godin SD:

(Realize, though, that guitar was designed from the start to mimic a Strat at that scale, including things like having a HSS pickup set with a 5-way selector.)

Since your guitar is HH, that alters things a bit. A standard singlecoil just won't fit right. But good, high-quality splittable humbuckers or a HB-sized singlecoil like a P90 or Charlie Christian will, and can get you close to those kinds of tones.

For HBs, I'd look at Lace Alumitones, TV Jones PowerTrons, Rio Grande Tallboys or Dirty Harrys, and a variety of options from Bareknuckle, The Creamery, and Vintage Vibe. But the manufacturers can give you better info if you drop them an email.

For HB-sized P90s or Charlie Christians, check out Vintage Vibe, RailHammer, Bareknuckle, The Creamery and Lollar, Here's a jazz cat demoing what Charlie Christians sound like:

And here in a solidbody:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The body of a solid body guitar does not resonate. The whole tonewood issue is a non issue. Hell, I play a guitar I made out of a shovel and it sounds just fine.
The pickups are where it's at. The EC100 has plenty of sustain so the timber is ample. The only time the timber would make a difference is if it was soft and bendy. Sustain is all about rigidity, that why tiny carbon fibre guitars like cricket bat Steinbergers work so well. Tone wood is a croc of shit with a solid bodied guitar. Any minor variations in tone are easy to compensate for with pup selection. Put the wood type out of your head. Unless it's balsa it matters not.
There are lots of pickups out there that will stratify that guitar. P90's won't exactly stratify it but they will do good things for you. Think strat with more bottom end. Personally, P90's are my favourite pup and of the ones that I own, the Vintage Vibe one's are my favourite by a fair margin. Email Peter and explain what you want. He'll sort you out. His email address is info@vintagevibeguitars.com
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a Vintwge Vibe CC in the bridge of a luthier's fancy-schmancy teleclone, and it sounds pretty good there. But it isn't a HB-sized version. Even so, sitting where they do in the tonal spectrum of oversized singlecoils, it might be a better option than a HB-sized P90. Of course, that's where communicating with the builders would pay off.

Then, of course, there's mixing them. Here's a TGP thread where some members describe good results mixing a bridge P90 with a neck CC, along with a picture of an axe with that configuration*:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/p90-vs-charlie-christian.1543846/

That potential darkness in short-scale solidbodies is also why I suggested the Lace & TV Jones HBs. They're going to be a bit brighter than most HBs out there, and if split...

* which, right now, sounds pretty good to me. Hmmmmmm...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If the guitar stays in tune and neck feels good, I'd go ahead and mod it. I bought a $25 Yamaha EG-303 and completely revamped it for about $60 more. I put in Bournes pots, an Oak-Gringsby switch, and a set of Chinese Alnico V Strat pups. The Bridge/Middle tone is very close to Knopfler's Strat tone. I did the whole project to built a rhythm guitar at which it excels.

And once I owned one of those Ibanez Gio HSH Strats - hard to play, muddy sounding, etc. I put on a set of flatwound 11s, and it really came to life. Suddenly, I had a CCR sounding guitar or something good for clean sounding cowboy chords.
it's all good..
Quote by Tony Done
8Len8

Hmm. That's the tone wood debate, mostly. I've never been able to judge an electric guitar by its acoustic tone. The guitar might be bad solely because of the pickups and/or the amplification chain- that's happened to me more than a few times. I've been looking for an opportunity to post this . Talent and skillful use of the equipment:

The article I read was talking mainly about pickups. A pickup swap can't make a bad guitar sound good.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by willpentziv
Does anyone know if its possible to change the bridge and put a whammy on the guitar. I've seen LPs have a whammy so there's probably some way to do it. Anyway thanks for all the help!

Both Kahler and Floyd Rose make tremolos made to retrofit on a tune-o-matic/stop bar equipped guitar but like Monwobobbo said it ain't gonna be cheap.

https://www.kahlerusa.com/stud-mount-tremolos-bridges

http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6:frx-series
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge