Hi Guys, i am at the moment finding and buying pedals for my first real pedal board (Though i've been playing over 7 years lol) and i need something i can use for metal.

I KNOW that the optimal would be a high gain amp, but for what i am doing at the moment it just isn't worth it investing that much in an amp only for metal, as i play with my metal band rarely after going to the university but play lots of other stuff there. Until now i have settled with a boss GT5 board, but you gotta grow up.

I don't have much left to spend and already got myself a TS9. I am thinking about getting myself the Tc Electronic Dark Matter distortion. It doesn't have everything i need in itself it seems, but i was thinking about using the TS9 to boost the Dark metal for the ekstra push it seems to need.

Has anybody tried this? Or does anybody have any other advice for an affordable pedal that either with or without the TS9 would make for a somewhat good metal tone?

I play through a borrowed amp, i'm pretty sure it is a Peavy vk100 through i peavy cab and a Marshall cab (don't remember the model of these, sorry) and we play groove/death metal. I can post a link to our demo if you would find it helpsome, but i don't want to be accused of promoting here.

*Edit*

Damn wrong forum, this should have been in the gear forum. How the fuck do i move/remove this shit?
Last edited by Pete-V at Dec 29, 2016,
what amp are you using? hard t say much without knowing what amp and what type of metal are we talking.
monwobobbo
Sorry, forgot to mention that. I am borrowing an amp while playing with these guys as my own isn't really up for the drummer. I think it is a Peavy vk100 through i peavy cab and a Marshall cab (don't remember the model of these, sorry) been borrowing these for years, but can't even remember the model..
And i play Groove/death metal
I will update the thread with this information.
Last edited by Pete-V at Dec 29, 2016,
Pete-V

ok. well the valveking with a ts-9 can do some metal but Death Metal not so much (I don't know much about groove metal). I'd be more inclined to go with something like a Fulltone OCD over a "metal" pedal to push the preamp harder than a ts-9. I use a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive which has a switch on it for more gain and better tone controls.
monwobobbo

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, alone the tubescreamer wouldn't be enough, that is why i am thinking about adding a Dark Matter Distortion after the TS9. In the demos i've listened to it seems like the Dark Matter just needs a bit more push and some added ''smoothness'' to actually be a decent pedal for metal.
I checked out the CM-2 and it could be a possibility, but it seems not to be sold anymore, and there isn't any used ones in my country right now as far as i can see, but i will keep my eyes out.
I have a Budda Zenman that's a clean boost and overdrive in one case with 2 footswitches. It can get pretty gnarly with the amp on a crunch that the VK should easily provide. Put it in Modern mode and use the Gain knob. Turn the boost on and let'er rip. They're about $75 used.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Don't bother with the TS9.

Not that it's a bad pedal or anything, but it really isn't anything special compared to other OD pedals on the market these days. For similar amounts of money to a TS9, you can buy OD's that also have additional EQ options that make them way more versatile than any generic green box.

Look at the Way Huge Green Rhino or the MXR Custom Badass Modified OD. I bought a Green Rhino MK4 recently and it kicked my TS9 off my board so hard that I'm due to put it up on evilbay.

EDIT: Oops. Didn't read that you already bought a TS9.

I'm not too clued up on distortion pedals these days as I've never needed them as I own a 6505. I've always had the philosophy that the amp should be giving you all the distortion.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
If you're still in the pedal-buying market, what's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by monwobobbo
Pete-V

ok. well the valveking with a ts-9 can do some metal but Death Metal not so much (I don't know much about groove metal). I'd be more inclined to go with something like a Fulltone OCD over a "metal" pedal to push the preamp harder than a ts-9.

+1

the valveking may be capable, and back in the day i got mine to (or so i thought :p ). but there are a bunch of thins like dummy jack thing, and running a patch cable through the loop, and proper tubes. etc, etc. etc. i am modding a VK at the moment but i am making it more vintagey.

i wouldn't advise the OCD with the VK. why? back in the day when i had a VK trying the same things you were and so i bought an OCD. it didn't get along as nicely as other things IMO.

also a EQ in the loop will get you a lot farther than a second OD pedal. IMO. MXR 10 bands are pretty much industry standard and can help you shape it up a bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1

the valveking may be capable, and back in the day i got mine to (or so i thought :p ). but there are a bunch of thins like dummy jack thing, and running a patch cable through the loop, and proper tubes. etc, etc. etc. i am modding a VK at the moment but i am making it more vintagey.

i wouldn't advise the OCD with the VK. why? back in the day when i had a VK trying the same things you were and so i bought an OCD. it didn't get along as nicely as other things IMO.

also a EQ in the loop will get you a lot farther than a second OD pedal. IMO. MXR 10 bands are pretty much industry standard and can help you shape it up a bit.

never tried an OCD with my VK, it was just what came to min when thinking more metal orientated overdrives.
Quote by monwobobbo
never tried an OCD with my VK, it was just what came to min when thinking more metal orientated overdrives.

oh yeah, i know what you mean.

the OCD is the only pedal i have owned (on 'boo-teek' tier) that i have sold because i couldn't get along with it. i tried to like it, but just couldn't.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hmmmm...

I'm thinking Emma Electronics' Pisdiyowat or Empress' Heavy. Maybe an Okko Dominator Red or Black?

(Yes, some of those are more accurately considered distortion, not OD.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz

Well, i still need to get myself a reverb, so it probably shouldn't be more than 100 usd at most. I will check out the pedals you recommended.
If that's your budget...even the Pisdiyawot is @$150 used.

trashedlostfdup

I'm going to have to agree with the EQ in the loop and +1 for the MXR 10 band.

I have an old BBE 462 rack mount Sonic Maximizer it made fairly suttle but noticable difference in sound it fattens it up and gives more definition to the notes be it singles or chords, I have not used it in years because it is the only rack mount that I have and I do not have a rack I have been thinking about get the BBE Sonic Stomp to use instead so I can just have it on my pedalboard.

I might have to hook it up to my Mesa Roadster and see if it sounds as good as I remember and whether or not it would be worth getting a sonic stomp.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I wouldn't bother with the dark matter. it's a decent pedal, but it's aimed at plexi-ish tones- despite the name, it's not actually high gain at all, more of a low gain distortion or higher gain overdrive. And it's pretty dark-sounding (that's where the confusing name comes from I think). Plus it doesn't really take a boost all that well (when I tried it anyway, I'm a bit hazy on that since it's a while since I did). It's a soft clipper with the diodes in the feedback loop of the op-amp (i think) and that might be why it doesn't take a boost so well. Or it might not, it doesn't matter, what matters is whether it takes one well or not, and in my experience/opinion, it's not the best pedal for taking a boost.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you already picked up the TS-9 then why not just use the amps gain and boost that with a TS-9 instead of getting a pedal and stacking them with a Dark Matter? I mean, the Valveking isn't really a 'metal' amp per se but that doesn't mean it can't get a bit heavy. With a bit of EQing etc... you can probably get something decent.

As for what pedals you should buy, honestly maybe you should stick to your GT5 for home play and then just use the borrowed VK for gigs. It seems like you aren't really playing with these guys very often and there isn't really a 'buy this pedal and you will always be ready to play metal' button so what you have now should probably be more than enough.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ yeah pretty much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by monwobobbo

I have an OCD and a VK100. This thread made me try it out. The results were very, very good. I also tried it out with my MXR 78' Custom Badass and the results were pretty good if you like more of the grainier, buzzsaw kind of sound.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
H4T3BR33D3R

The only problem is switching from a clean sound to an agressive sound, i don't have a channel switch for the VK 100, and would like to be able to use this rig elsewhere too. At home i am usually using my computer with bias effects, and for other projects i have a Fender 212 frontman which isn't really the best amp but does it's job mostly. I should probably just find a footswitch, and that problem would be solved though, maybe the one from my 212 Frontman will work.

I've also gotten an offer for a Eartquaker Device Acapulco Gold clone, which i might try out, but i have my doubts that it will work in my sound. Happy New Year!
Just get a footswitch.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yeah the footswitch is likely to be cheaper than a pedal, and (if you like the sound of your od channel) will likely sound better, too.

is the fender's footswitch just a regular jack connection? if the peavey is too, there's a fair chance it would work just fine.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?