Hi everyone,

so I was jamming with my brother on my trusty Laney VC15 the other night when it died suddenly. Was just hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on what might have failed because the local shop wants a fair bit of cash just to look at it and that plus the cost of replacing a transformer for example might not be worth doing.

anyway, we were playing along and the amp just stopped. Sounded just like if you were to flick the switch off mid song. I got up to have a look and there was that electric burning sort of smell but only a little bit, and my power LED's were out. I put some spare power tubes in and absolutely nothing, checked the fuse and that was intact.

the other thing I noticed is I'd forgotten to plug my EQ I run in the effects loop in, so I had a lead plugged into the send port but nothing coming back. I don't know whether that should be entirely inconsequential or whether that would fuck with the load going through the amp and might have caused the problem.

thanks in advance for any help and ideas, on what's gone wrong or which new amp I'm going to have to buy
Fuses? Check them. If replacing them causes the amp to blow them again you probably need new power tubes.
Not sure where the HT fuse is on those, it may be inside the amp. If you've lost the power LED then I'd say that you just blew the main fuse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
there's one fuse you can access with a screwdriver from the back which looks fine, can't remember if that's the HT or not but I can have a look and try replacing it anyway. I take it that's not the only fuse though? Cheers
The HT fuse is often inside the chassis. That shouldn't cause the power LED to fail though, it stops the high voltage plate supply.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
how did you check the fuse?

they can be a little tricky sometimes, check continuity with a meter on the fuse. sometimes they can be a little deceptive.

i am not sure how much that helps you, but that has happened to me at least twice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'll call it a visual inspection

the HT fuse in the glass tube looked absolutely fine, I'll try to work out a way to check it properly but don't have a meter lying around unfortunately.

I've also just realised there's a fuse where you plug the power in that I haven't checked and won't be able to until tonight, fingers crossed it's that one I suppose.
That's the main fuse, that's the one that sounds like it's blown. That's why you've lost the power LED.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's the main fuse, that's the one that sounds like it's blown. That's why you've lost the power LED.

OK, just had a look and both the HT fuse and the main fuse look fine and intact. I'll replace both anyway tomorrow and we'll see what happens.
Quote by Cathbard

sorry this went onto the back burner a bit, but I'm back with an update.

can confirm the mains fuse was blown and my amp is immediately blowing replacements too, so I guess that leaves me here: http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/fuseblow.htm
Yeah, replace the power tubes
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You could put in a good fuse and pull the power tubes then power the amp up.  If it blows the fuse with no valves then your issue is deeper than valves.  Usually an amp blowing a fuse is down to bad power valves but the smell of burnt electronics makes me wonder if it's something else.

PS a visual inspection is never a good way to check a fuse. 
Not taking any online orders.
7 month old thread if he hasn't gotten it fixed by now he won't. Please font post in old threads.