Hello, I'm looking to buy a Pedal, Well the thing is I'm not entirely sure on the pedal I want, I'm into playing retro music, blues, rock, and some metal things.

The Amp I have is a Roland 212, So it's a very clean amp, The guitars a Studio Gibson les paul 2016, I'm new to electric guitar, I got it about a week ago,
I don't know too much about pedals or amplifiers if you could help me on that,

The pedals I think I would want would be Overdrive/Distorion pedals, maybe a blues pedal if it would make it sound more bluesly, I'm not too sure on what is best.

My budget is 300 dollars, Though I would not like to spend that on a pedal maybe multiple, I would like to max what I spend on a single one at 120,
Though if sound really changes just let me know, well if you could send me some good options that would be very helpful

Thanks!
Last edited by neonbolt7777 at Dec 30, 2016,
Well, if you wanna cover a wide range of styles, I'd probably go with the Fulltone OCD (I think it's 150$), but I don't really know how it would react with your amp... We will need a transistor amp expert here.
Wampler is by far my favorite pedal. Comes in a lot of flavors. Check them out on YouTube.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Jekyll and Hyde and then maybe a tube screamer.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
^ just watch, if you get the older version J&H it already has a tubescreamer in it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Grawgos Damn, I couldn't even tell you really, I would just like the overdrive to be a nice sounding distortion soundl that's not annoying listen too.
Quote by neonbolt7777
Grawgos Damn, I couldn't even tell you really, I would just like the overdrive to be a nice sounding distortion soundl that's not annoying listen too.

examples from bands you like would help. what kind of music do you play?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ just watch, if you get the older version J&H it already has a tubescreamer in it

Yeah- the V2 would be the one you seek. Good pedal. Another similar OD/Dist and solid option would be the Red Witch Famulus.

TrueTone's VS-XO is a dual OD, with a tubescreamer and a Nobels under the hood.

If you just want a good tubescreamer variant, other good ones to consider would be the T-Rex MAB (Michael Angelo Batio) and the Dr. No Drive-O-Matic.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i thought the v2 might be tubescreamer as well?

darn truetone for getting rid of their old informative website

the newest one isn't a tubescreamer, at least. I'm not certain exactly when they changed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
monwobobbo I mostly play blues and rock, I want to go into the realm of more solos, so I can play things such as, cant defeat airman, and have just that good overdrive distortion tone when playing lead that I cannot get out of this amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought the v2 might be tubescreamer as well?

darn truetone for getting rid of their old informative website

the newest one isn't a tubescreamer, at least. I'm not certain exactly when they changed.

Dave, did you lose your glasses??? Yeah, it is, that's why I suggested it! Near as I can tell, they changed shortly after their brand went from Visual Sound to TrueTone. They had already started releasing some of the V3 pedals, too, so sometimes you can find them under the old company name.

The V1 also has a TS circuit, but the pedal as a whole- while good- isn't as well made as the V2, so I never recommend it if a V2 can be found.

Other good ODs to consider:

Smallsound/Bigsound Fuck Overdrive
ThorpyFX Gunshot
ThorpyFX Peacekeeper
Keeley Katana
Keeley Katana Blues
Magnetic Effects Satellite

Those last 4 are lower gain, and excel at the clean boost to slightly dirty tones you'll find in some blues, pop, country, etc.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz I'll check them all out, I checked out the VS-XO and I think it sounds pretty nice, though I'll be sure to check all the other ones out in a bit!

DOD Boneshaker parametric distortion, Digitech Screamin Blues OD/distortion, TC Electronic Dark Matter distortion, Mojo Mojo OD, EHX English Muffin OD, GPC Cornstar OD/boost, Tech21 Hot rod Plexi
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
+1 on the Boneshaker.

If you like jazzy stuf, the Carl Martin DC drive is a great little unit... Good range of tones and the built in boost can ass that volume for solo's
If you're in search of heavier guitar tone, consider the following best distortion pedals:

Boss DS-1 Distortion. (Boss) , Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi, JHS Pedals Muffuletta and the like.
^ Not sure I'd use a ds1 for really heavy tones... it's more of a mid-gain, rock distortion type of tone. I do think it's a bit harshly-judged by some people- it wouldn't be my first choice but there are some tones it does quite well, especially with an amp which suits it (darker/middier). Depends on what you mean by heavy for the muffs... they're really saturated but they tend not to be very tight on the bass (like a lot of fuzzes) so if you want tight high gain metal-type distortion they wouldn't be the best choice, but for doomier stuff they might be ideal.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Dave, did you lose your glasses??? Yeah, it is, that's why I suggested it! Near as I can tell, they changed shortly after their brand went from Visual Sound to TrueTone. They had already started releasing some of the V3 pedals, too, so sometimes you can find them under the old company name.

The V1 also has a TS circuit, but the pedal as a whole- while good- isn't as well made as the V2, so I never recommend it if a V2 can be found.

oh i see what you mean, you were suggesting one because it did have the tubescreamer in there, i was suggesting the one that didn't Talking at cross-purposes, as usual. yeah if you only need the one od and want it to be a ts, then the v1 or v2 is the one you want.

doesn't the v1 not have the buffered bypass too? or at least it has the less reliable switches. the switches on the v2s (at least going by my route 808, i think they use the same switch) are very nice. decent (though maybe a little bright/sparkly to my ears) buffer too. so yeah that's likely a good call about going v2 over v1 if you have the choice.

Quote by neonbolt7777
dannyalcatraz I'll check them all out, I checked out the VS-XO and I think it sounds pretty nice, though I'll be sure to check all the other ones out in a bit!

yeah i think the xo is two overdrives- the open road (nobels odr 1- based) on one side and a tubescreamer on the other.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, at the very least, they upgraded the enclosure and switches going from the V1 to the V2.

yeah. probably worth it for that alone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
psp742 I'd look into some more versatile pedals, like maybe Tech21/Sansamp Original or GT-2, Tri-AC, Doubledrive 3x. Blackstar Ht-2 or Jekyll&Hyde, or perhaps used Mesa VTwin.

For that $ you might want to change amps, Valveking used might do it.
Diabolical, I own the pedals I mentioned and don't think I need to add more.. EHX Germanium4 Big Muff pi and also Digitech 'The Weapon' Dan Donegan signature series (OD/Distortion)
video of 'The Weapon' has 7 type sounds

1 Distortion
2 Medium Distortion

3 Phaser
4 Autowah
5 Octave Pitch Shift

6 Sitar
7 "Radio" Distortion
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 31, 2016,
If you're on a budget, I would recommend the Blackstar LT DIST, it gives a really thick distortion to a nice overdrive
Fender squier strat w/ humbucker
Marshall MG15CFR
Blackstar LT DIST
Careful! Say that 3 times in one thread, and one might appear!

For distortion, I don't know, but for overdrive, get a Tone City Sweet Cream. It's the best overdrive pedal I've ever had.