I have a Samick Corsair 5 String (a copy of the Fender P-Bass) with a P-J pickup configuration. I am considering upgrading the pickups and I am wondering what you would recommend. I am thinking active pickups because I also have a Samick Fairlane 5 string (a copy of the Fender J Bass) with active pickups (unlike a normal J Bass this bass has 2 soapbar pickups) and it sounds amazing. Sadly I am finding it hard to find active P and J pickups, particularly for a 5 string bass. Any advice would be nice, links would be nicer.
I know very little about bass (i'm much more a guitar player) and hopefully the other regulars can help more, but maybe the problem is that you're looking for active pickups, rather than a preamp? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the vast majority of "active" basses actually had passive pickups, but combined with an active preamp to make them "active".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the other thing is, using an eq pedal might be an easier way to do it- that can often get you (sort of) close to the sound of an active bass with a passive bass.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?