Anyone ever try to replace those god awful tuners on a 76 Explorer? Trying to find replacements that have better fine tuning capabilities and also stay in freaking tune.
Locking tuners?

Odd that you're having trouble though. Of all the Gibsons I've owned, by old explorer probably had the best tuning stability.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by jgebhardt
Anyone ever try to replace those god awful tuners on a 76 Explorer? Trying to find replacements that have better fine tuning capabilities and also stay in freaking tune.

Pretty rare that it's actually the tuners that send your guitar out of tune. Usually strings sticking in the nut.
You might want to adjust the nut slots or ensure the strings are strung properly and fully stretched in before deciding the tuners are the problem. Cause they very rarely are.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE
Checked the Nut and its seems fine. Slots are smooth and clean. Tuners leave much to be desired as far as fine tuning like the ones I have on my USA Jacksons is one reason I want to see what else people have tried if anything.
Are the strings not binding in the nut? You're not going to be able to know that just by looking at it.

I've not had any problems whatsoever with the Grover 14:1 tuners you'll usually find on Explorers. They're great. And the vast majority of the guitar community thinks so too. What are the tuners currently on the guitar?

If you're expecting the fine tuning capability of the fine tuners like what you'll find on a Floyd Rose, then Steinberger 40:1 tuners like what you'll find on a Gibson Firebird might be what you're looking for. But I wouldn't recommend them. I've never felt the need for that fine a tuning ratio. If it was solving such a huge problem then why is 14:1 by far the most common tuning ratio on guitar tuners? You also may need to make invasive modifications to the headstock to get them to fit. There's also speculation that Steinberger have stopped making them, perhaps for the very reason I just explained: lack of sales because they solved a problem that doesn't exist.

If fine tuning is what you want, then perhaps get a tailpiece with fine tuners?
That would be totally non-invasive (no adverse modifications to the guitar required), easier to get ahold of, and it works.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I may check the nut again but honestly I have a Epiphone Explorer with cheap ass tuners and nut that has zero issues. I would wondering if anyone had seen anything like 18:1 tuners that would fit.
What tuners are currently on the guitar? What brand?

If you don't know, send us pics.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
In my experience mini Grovers are very good tuners.

I very, very much doubt the tuners are the actual problem.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I wouldnt be surprised if it was caused the nut or how youve been stringing the guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Am I putting too many windings on? I usually do 4 or 5 for the D,G,B,E and 3 for the A and low E.