These things: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FretWrapSm

They should not be used as a crutch for sloppy playing, but to just help clean up the sound with the solid foundation you have from your technique. Anyone using one? I ordered one just to try it out, (about $11 USD) I can say it "works" but maybe you would still be perfectly happy with scrunchies or nothing at all.

The overall effect of what it does is worth the $10.99 USD, but the materials and what little labor there may be involved, are not. You would just have to be done borrowing your girlfriends/daughter's scrunchie. You can see its dampening power by playing fast licks without the Fretwrap on, but while also purposely NOT muting the strings like you normally would. Then play the lick again, but put the Fretwrap on and still do not mute the strings properly. It cuts out a silly amount of resonance from the other strings. Using proper muting with the Fretwrap gives a very clean and professional sound.

I was trying it with a Schecter S-1 (SG-style ish) which has a bit of a lip on the back of neck, on the underside from where the nut is. That makes it so the Fretwrap, when you no longer want it on your fretboard and want to use open strings, cannot just slide off the fretboard onto headstock, but it kind of pivots off the nut while still caught on the lip. My main squeeze is a 72 RI Tele which does not have that lip so it should be fine there. The Fretwrap looks thin enough to fit in between the nut and the beveled edge of the headstock on the tuner side. If you slide the Fretwrap off the nut to use open strings, but it ends up not completely off the nut and mutes your strings a little bit still, it may be troublesome for clean tones but for distorted tones you likely would not notice.

For live use it may be a bit cumbersome dependent upon your guitar. With a guitar with a bit of a troublesome headstock/fretboard joint, the Fretwrap may be better suited just for studio use as I imagine the Fretwrap would start to deteriorate from the stress. For studio use, it would be great.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 30, 2016,
I mean, unless you're recording some crazy metal leads with a ton of sweeps and silly shit and you need to cut a ton of string noise then I don't really see the purpose of using something like that. Seems kind of overkill to me in any other situation as well.

You could probably spend a couple of bucks and just get a headband or some foam to deaden your strings behind the nut and get the same effect really.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think for most applications they are unnecessary. But I've seen a few people use them that do mostly tapping where they're never hitting open strings and they seem really helpful for that.

And on the other hand, if it works it works. I wouldn't put down on someone for using them for whatever application if they found them helpful.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
H4T3BR33D3R Well to be clear, it is not meat to perform an active role when sitting behind the nut. It is meant to lay on top the fretboard (around fret 1 or 2). As I said in the spoiler, I did purposely allow myself to listen to the effect when over-exaggerated. However it was a bit freeing to have a bit of leeway to not have to worry about muting the strings as much as if I was not using the Fretwrap during fast lines. Also to be clear I am not trying to push these, but just make them known for the use there is with them, as they are somewhat obscure.
Quote by Will Lane
H4T3BR33D3R Well to be clear, it is not meat to perform an active role when sitting behind the nut. It is meant to lay on top the fretboard (around fret 1 or 2). As I said in the spoiler, I did purposely allow the effect to be over-exaggerated

wait forgot something

Okay fair enough. Now with that difference do you still think its really necessary aside from recording situations? I would think that live, your ambient noise levels would cover up for most of it and I doubt you would want to use one when you're practicing. I'm definitely not denying they have a use but I think you probably don't reaaaaally need one.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Okay fair enough. Now with that difference do you still think its really necessary aside from recording situations? I would think that live, your ambient noise levels would cover up for most of it and I doubt you would want to use one when you're practicing. I'm definitely not denying they have a use but I think you probably don't reaaaaally need one.
Nope, I don't/you don't/Cathbard doesn't/Guthrie doesn't/etc. really need one. I tried to suggest that fact in my OP but I may not have made that as explicit as I should have. They are an $11 "i want to buy something that may help me a tiny bit" item. They help, but it is not a requirement. Kind of like high quality low-cap patch cables. I think they are useful but you can still make music without them.
Quote by Will Lane
Nope, I don't/you don't/Cathbard doesn't/Guthrie doesn't/etc. really need one. I tried to suggest that fact but I may not have made that as explicit. They are an $11 "i want to buy something that may help me a tiny bit" item.

Well I'm shit at guitar so maybe I do need one. I might be able to pretend I'm not sloppy playing Back in Black
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I use one for recording and live
It keep down string noise behind the nut (Yes this does come through on some guitars)
it's also useful for muting open strings to give them a palm muted feel when tapping.

I can post examples later.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Depends on what you're playing. There are also string mutes that can be added or subtracted a bit more positively -- Jennifer Batten uses (and sells) one and a number of folks who do high gain who are NOT using open strings (but who are doing quite a bit of tapping) use them all the time.

One time when I was recording a solo with some awkward sweeps in it I tied a rag around the neck to achieve the same thing because I couldn't quite get rid of all the string noise. It was entirely because what I was trying to do was just outside of my ability. I eventually ended up changing like two notes and was able to do it without it. It just felt like a crutch to me.

The pricing on that seems silly to me as well. I mean, $11 isn't outlandish, but I wouldn't pay it when there are much cheaper ways of achieving the same thing.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 30, 2016,
Quote by cdgraves
Isn't this what palm muting is for? Even if you're tapping a bunch, you've got your forearm for muting.

Nope. Completely different thing.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
One time when I was recording a solo with some awkward sweeps in it I tied a rag around the neck to achieve the same thing because I couldn't quite get rid of all the string noise. It was entirely because what I was trying to do was just outside of my ability. I eventually ended up changing like two notes and was able to do it without it. It just felt like a crutch to me.

The pricing on that seems silly to me as well. I mean, $11 isn't outlandish, but I wouldn't pay it when there are much cheaper ways of achieving the same thing.

You would look like shit with a rag or sock tied around your neck while playing a show
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Kyleisthename
Well yea, but there are plenty of other things you could use that would look fine. I just used a rag that time because it's what I had laying around, but if I you want something that'll look good there's plenty of stuff you could use. Two options mentioned already would be a bandana or a hair scrunchie.
The4thHorsemen Most of the reason as to why I bought this over scrunchies/hair ties/rags/bandanas (I did try a sock beforehand) was its sleek professional look. It is also a bit more efficient at muting the strings compared to the other options, from other user testimonies as well.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 31, 2016,
Quote by Kyleisthename
You would look like shit with a rag or sock tied around your neck while playing a show

Just flashed on the Red Hot Chili Peppers wearing socks. Not around their necks.
I bought a Fretwrap with a voucher I won, so I got the thing pretty much for free. Those Fretwraps are pretty overpriced otherwise.

I bought it primarily because there wasn't much else I could buy with what little voucher I had, I didn't previously own a string mute and all the cool djentcore kiddies have them on their 8 strings and basses. So I bought one to learn what the fuss was about. In practice don't use it for much other than just stopping strings from ringing out behind the nut. If that's all you're going to be using it for then it's really overpriced. You'd do just as well with a piece of scrap foam you'd otherwise throw in the garbage.

Unless you're doing a lot of bass or 8 string guitar tapping with really high gain, or you're just buying one to make a fashion statement then don't bother.

Really the only reason you'd buy one over a sock that does the exact same thing is the 'fashion statement' aspect.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend