I've been on a classical guitar hiatus for the last several years and I want to get back into playing electric. I plugged my amp in the other day and wham, it's dead. So now I am looking into what to get as a replacement. I am doing the close quarters apartment living, so I'm thinking about modeling gear, but it's all completely new to me.

Axe FX is probably out of the budget right now, so what are the best alternatives? I have heard of POD HD and Eleven Rack, any other options? I'm also trying to figure out what else you need to run this stuff. Do I run through computer monitors? A cabinet? An amp? What kind of setup do you guys run? If I want to record, do I use an interface? Right now not looking to play live, but I'd like to know what I would need to make that happen. Looking for bedroom use/recording right now. Any help with this stuff is greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I'm looking to play a wide range of music. Dream Theater, Blink 182, different shred guys, jazz, blues, etc...
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Axe is probably one of the best out there, but today's modeling is a lot better over all. Find a budget your comfortable with and see what's available in your price range. I just picked up a POD HD used and it's a lot better then the XTLive it replaced. I'm running into a small tube amp with the option of headphone when I need to be quieter. There is a learning curve,but once you get some time with it tones get a lot better and can cover anything you want to play.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Led man32 Give us a budget and we may be able to help you a bit more. POD HD500X is typical in the $300ish USED price range, if you have to go lower than that, Zoom G3(X). Atomic Amplifire $500ish.

With most modelers like these listed above, they have headphone outputs so you listen primarily through headphones. You can run them through powered FRFR monitors but you do not have to. You generally will not want to run them with a guitar cabinet as most modelers will have guitar cabinet simulation, but you could turn off the simulation and use real-world cabs for different sounds. Typically they will also come with USB connections so you do not need an Audio Interface to record with them, although the USB output may be a bit spotty depending upon the unit. Audio Interfaces can be found for $70-100 ish bucks, new and used, of solid quality.
Will Lane

Looking at a $700 budget, approximately.

Anybody run individual stomboxes with the POD? I have a little pedal collection that I might part with to help with the funding, if I don't need them. I have a few overdrives, chorus, flanger, distortion, wah, EP boost, analog delay, etc...

Thanks, folks!
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Pedals work fine with the POD.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by diabolical
How about going in the box? For about $200 you can do a nice recording/practice setup with audio interface and sims, freeware and paid.

I'm concerned about general tone quality going this route. I actually own an Emu 0404, but kinda forgot that this is an option. I do want at least the option to play live, too.
^ OK, in that case you'd need some kind of hardware modeling setup.

I can vouch for Boss GT series as they take pedals well and you can add them in the fx loop then program on what patches the loop will be open, etc. Not sure how they'll work with POD HD500 but I imagine that it should be similar.

For $700 you might be OK to check out the Amplifire or maybe even look at some amps that could do all, like say Yamaha TH series or the Boss Katana which is getting rave reviews lately.
Quote by diabolical
^ OK, in that case you'd need some kind of hardware modeling setup.

I can vouch for Boss GT series as they take pedals well and you can add them in the fx loop then program on what patches the loop will be open, etc. Not sure how they'll work with POD HD500 but I imagine that it should be similar.

For $700 you might be OK to check out the Amplifire or maybe even look at some amps that could do all, like say Yamaha TH series or the Boss Katana which is getting rave reviews lately.

Thanks man! I'm looking into the POD and the Amplifire. As far as recording with these goes, do I just plug it in via USB into my computer DAW? Would that use the computer sound card and result in craptastic tone?
Quote by Led man32
I'm thinking about modeling gear, but it's all completely new to me.

Axe FX is probably out of the budget right now, so what are the best alternatives? I have heard of POD HD and Eleven Rack, any other options? I'm also trying to figure out what else you need to run this stuff. Do I run through computer monitors? A cabinet? An amp? What kind of setup do you guys run?

At the high (ish) end, not counting Kemper and Axe-FX II, are the Helix and the Ax8 in the $1500 range. Of the two, I'd probably have to pick the Helix, but YMMV. These are approaching the top of the heap, and if there's not something very specific you think you need out of the higher price spread, they should probably be considered the top of the line for MOST musicians. Below that I can talk about the HD500X -- it'll do almost anything you need for both live and bedroom playing. TONS of these out there. There's a piece from Atomic Amps called the amplifire that Cathbutt loves, and that's more like a pedal than anything else, and runs about $600.

You can run pedals with all of these, either in series with the piece or in FX loops, where the modelers have them (the Helix has four!), but one of the advantages of using a modeler is that there are no little connector cables and none of the noise and signal loss associated with standalone pedals.

Most of the modelers support headphone listening and/or direct recording. They work best with full-range frequency response speaker systems, and for home use a good set of recording monitors (sometimes with a subwoofer) will help duplicate every harmonic and cabinet squeak and squawk. You can run direct to a mixer for live use and/or run into an ordinary guitar cabinet or a separate floor monitor at the same time.