Long story short, I have recently broke my fretting hand (left), it has now healed thankfully but holding a guitar feels unnatural, I am not looking for help with holding the guitar that's just down to my hand feeling weird and I will get used to that, what I am asking for is help with strengthening my fretting hand as all of the strength in fretting hand seems to have gone.

Is it going to be a case of scales or is there something else I should be doing? Again I can play fine but my hand feels strange.

Has anyone else had a hand injury, if so how did you get back in to guitar or what did you change about your playing?
Legend.
Thankfully I haven't had a hand injury so maybe I can't tell from experience, but it's med student time I guess
It could be simply that the bones in your hand have yet to be remodeled after the fracture - it'll happen over time as your bones adjust to your daily activities. You should ask your doctor first, but I think it'll come back soon enough (both the normal feeling and the strength) with practice once your metacarpals and whatnot get remodeled.
Honestly this is a question for a physiotherapist, not a bunch of randoms on a guitar forum.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
As Seagull said, talk to your doc if it's serious.

That said, I've fractured my hand, it was in a cast for 6 or so weeks. I built the strength up again by just playing. It was just a time issue, each day it got a bit stronger. I didn't have to change any aspect of my playing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
As Seagull said, talk to your doc if it's serious.

That said, I've fractured my hand, it was in a cast for 6 or so weeks. I built the strength up again by just playing. It was just a time issue, each day it got a bit stronger. I didn't have to change any aspect of my playing.

Thanks for your replies everyone, my doctor didn't really help I was coming here as a second port of call.

AlanHB can I ask what part of your hand you broke specifically?
Legend.
I had a serious injury to my ulnar nerve (gym accident .... though I didn't know at the time what I'd done other than it hurt like hell) ... end result, gradual loss of muscle and control in 3rd and 4th fingers of fretting hand over several years. Prior to that, I was close to virtuoso level. By the end of that period I could only reliably use 1st and 2nd fingers, but I'd adapted my style as protracted speed was out the equation. For fast legato, I'd use my right hand as well.

But the biggest difference was that I became much more interested in trying to be musical, as I couldn't rely on technique at all, and so I studied music much more (melody and rhythm), listened to many more styles, and essentially became a much better overall player. After 7 years, I had an operation ... I had about 2 inches of nerve jammed in my elbow joint, which they freed up. I got my hand back, perfectly, for about 4 weeks, but then scar tissue problems kicked in. Now, my hand is reasonable, but my musicianship has continued to grow ... there's always new stuff to try out, discover, experiment with.

It does sound like you need physio on your hand.
Quote by jerrykramskoy
I had a serious injury to my ulnar nerve (gym accident .... though I didn't know at the time what I'd done other than it hurt like hell) ... end result, gradual loss of muscle and control in 3rd and 4th fingers of fretting hand over several years. Prior to that, I was close to virtuoso level. By the end of that period I could only reliably use 1st and 2nd fingers, but I'd adapted my style as protracted speed was out the equation. For fast legato, I'd use my right hand as well.

But the biggest difference was that I became much more interested in trying to be musical, as I couldn't rely on technique at all, and so I studied music much more (melody and rhythm), listened to many more styles, and essentially became a much better overall player. After 7 years, I had an operation ... I had about 2 inches of nerve jammed in my elbow joint, which they freed up. I got my hand back, perfectly, for about 4 weeks, but then scar tissue problems kicked in. Now, my hand is reasonable, but my musicianship has continued to grow ... there's always new stuff to try out, discover, experiment with.

It does sound like you need physio on your hand.

Sorry to hear it, I had a cyst growing in the bone that decided it was time to pop.

Serious question would you rather have been good at music for a while or never have achieved that level of playing?
Legend.
Lord_Westwood On reflection, I far prefer my musicality (hopefully!) to crazy technique. I can still play well enough that most people wouldn't know I'm injured ... but as I got older, I got in jazz a lot (great mental workout) and appreciated melody etc much more. Not to say I won;t play metal etc ... still love that. But I guess I'm more versatile now.

When I teach, I try and de-emphasise the usual burning desire of being ultra-fast, and get them into thinking about being musical. Mostly folk enjoy that.

Thanks for asking! And you? Your hand now?
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Lord_Westwood On reflection, I far prefer my musicality (hopefully!) to crazy technique. I can still play well enough that most people wouldn't know I'm injured ... but as I got older, I got in jazz a lot (great mental workout) and appreciated melody etc much more. Not to say I won;t play metal etc ... still love that. But I guess I'm more versatile now.

When I teach, I try and de-emphasise the usual burning desire of being ultra-fast, and get them into thinking about being musical. Mostly folk enjoy that.

Thanks for asking! And you? Your hand now?

I would rather be melodic than blazing quick.

My hand is okay I can use my hand to fret okay but previous to breaking my hand I hadn't touched a guitar in 3 years so I am relearning many things anyway!

Quote by AlanHB
Great story Jerry!

Lord_Westwood I broke my hand just below where my little finger starts.

My break was my smallest metacarpus, what's your story AlanHB?
Legend.
I broke my right wrist. I played guitar with the cast on yknow just with a pick. Afterwards it felt weird and my hand hurt in certain positions but over time it got better and now i dont notice anything.
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
Quote by Lord_Westwood
Long story short, I have recently broke my fretting hand (left), it has now healed thankfully but holding a guitar feels unnatural, I am not looking for help with holding the guitar that's just down to my hand feeling weird and I will get used to that, what I am asking for is help with strengthening my fretting hand as all of the strength in fretting hand seems to have gone.

Is it going to be a case of scales or is there something else I should be doing? Again I can play fine but my hand feels strange.

Has anyone else had a hand injury, if so how did you get back in to guitar or what did you change about your playing?

This is literally my worst fear...
Quote by hecks
I broke my right wrist. I played guitar with the cast on yknow just with a pick. Afterwards it felt weird and my hand hurt in certain positions but over time it got better and now i dont notice anything.

My hand feels a little funky still but I am getting used to it!

Quote by Colja123
This is literally my worst fear...

It was my first break I wouldn't recommend breaking a bone but I can safely say it's not "as bad" as everyone states it is but your hand is in pretty rough shape when the cast comes off.
Legend.
Lord_Westwood haha yeah i was really scared it was going to be detrimental to my guitar playing. But over time I watched some videos of some ppl playing guitar with their feet and ppl like Django Reinhardt who had like 2 fingers- so I realized that either way Im playing guitar bc i like guitar. A wrist injury isn't going to kill my guitar-playing. Aaaaaaaaand eventually it healed lol
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire