I got my hands on an Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer, and sometime in the kinda near future, I'm looking to swap out the stock pick-ups (Alnico Classic Humbuckers) for some with a meatier sound. I have no knowledge about good/bad pick-ups, so can you recommend me some?
They need to be passive, not more that 200 squid, and good for metal/rock (metallica, ac/dc, etc.).
Will Lane At home I have a Marshall MG15FX, at school (I go to boarding school) I mostly play through a Line6 Spider IV. I know they're not great, but I getting a new amp is not in my budget.
Grawgos Basically, a meatier, fatter, fuller sound that suits the genres I lay better. My current pick-ups have a kind of vintage sound, not that great for metal.
Grawgos That helps, but here I have the same problems. I have zero knowledge about good amps. Also, most good amps are too expensive for me. saving up could take years.
I wouldn't spend a dime on anything else until I'd replaced those awful amps. Not saying that to insult you -- it's a fact of life I learned all too well years ago, having spent a boatload on pedals, guitars, etc. always chasing after a better tone; all while the real culprit was sitting right in front of me; a crappy Marshall MG. Pickups will not improve the sound you're getting or even hardly make a difference.

At the very least -- sell one of the amps and get a Peavey Vypyr 30. For metal and hard rock it is light years better than any MG or Spider. You should be able to find one for less than or equal to what you're willing to pay for pickups.
+1 to "get a new amp." bnjmnhrbst Sorry friend, it is just a misuse of your money to put it towards pickups, save for a better amp and you will end up with a much more worthwhile, professional, inspiring piece of kit. You may even find your guitar's original pups sound just fine.

Quote by KailM
I wouldn't spend a dime on anything else until I'd replaced those awful amps. Not saying that to insult you -- it's a fact of life I learned all too well years ago, having spent a boatload on pedals, guitars, etc. always chasing after a better tone; all while the real culprit was sitting right in front of me; a crappy Marshall MG. Pickups will not improve the sound you're getting or even hardly make a difference.

At the very least -- sell one of the amps and get a Peavey Vypyr 30. For metal and hard rock it is light years better than any MG or Spider. You should be able to find one for less than or equal to what you're willing to pay for pickups.

You speak the truth. Put that money into replacing the amp.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by bnjmnhrbst
Grawgos Basically, a meatier, fatter, fuller sound that suits the genres I lay better. My current pick-ups have a kind of vintage sound, not that great for metal.

1) Metal's origins were in vintage pickups. (I know- the newer stuff pretty much demands higher output, but...)

2) Unless I'm wrong, both of those amps have 8" speakers, right? An upgrade to your amp in the form of a bigger speaker cone is going to get you a lot of what you say you want. At £200, you're actually not that far from being able to find an amp with a 10" or 12" speaker. Even a 2x8" or 2x10" would make an audible difference without being too much more expensive.

For example, this Panama 2x10 cab can be had in the U.K. for that price:
http://www.hotroxuk.com/panama-horizontal-2x10-cabinet-boca-series.html

Fat enough? (The cab, that is.)

Save your £ and find a good head to go with it...

Patience really is your friend, here.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yeah with £200 you're within spitting distance of jet cities on thomann.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 ^ There ya go!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
if you're already struggling to afford that, though, tubes can go at any time, so might not be the best plan. but it's worth considering...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Like others have said, the amp is the main problem here. If a new amp is out of the question, there's two other things you can try.

- Get an overdrive pedal. Yes, they work better with tube amps, but even w/SS, it'll give your signal a nice boost, and tighten everything up a bit. It'll help more than pickups will on an MG.

- Get an audio interface, and some amp VST software. If a new amp isn't doable, and you don't need to play w/a band, this could be a very viable alternative for you.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff