I bought a bolt on Schecter Omen 7 knowing it needed a little TLC, but was still in relatively good working order.

After removing the old cruddy strings and cleaning it up quite a bit from the previous owner (careless teenager) the nut popped loose and I noticed some minor fret tarnish/rust. It looks as though they knocked the nut off previously because it had a heavy amount of super glue both on the nut and in the nut slot. I have a metal file that will fit in the slot to remove the glue, but I want to know what I can do about the remaining glue on the nut - looks to be a Graphtec.

I'd also like to know what can be done for the seemingly superficial rust and tarnish on the frets. You can't really feel any pitting or raised areas where the frets are rusted, just feels a little off.

I've already installed a new Jim Dunlop Straplok system and plan on getting a set of Seymour Duncan JB-7s to replace the stock Schecter pickups.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by eellis5182 at Dec 31, 2016,
I would think taping up the fret board and then use a little scotchbright on the frets to take the rust off. The scotchbright shouldn't take any actual material off the fret.
Quote by Grawgos
I would think taping up the fret board and then use a little scotchbright on the frets to take the rust off. The scotchbright shouldn't take any actual material off the fret.

I've got blue painter's masking tape, will that be sufficient?
This is one area where taping up your pickups would be suggested as well, but I usually use 0000 (FOUR O's) steel wool on the frets and follow that with a piece of thick leather (using the rough side) for a mirror polish.
+1 steel wool #0000. quick and easy. do cover your pickups though. painters tape is the way to go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Try some Gorgomyte on the frets. That stuff is magic.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
As to the super glue, Several brands of CN glue release agents out there. some call it debonder, available at most hardware stores in the adhesive section.