hello people :^)
so... i'm here to ask for help in the quest for a new guitar. (mostly because 90% chance that i won't have the oportunity to try them before buying :[ )

i ask you kindly to read it all because i don't know how to explain myself very well xP
the thing is:

playing in a Jackson Js30 KV for some good years already, i'm thinking about selling it to buy a new one with floyd rose, but with a similar feel.
i am not a "super" metal guy in terms of favorite tones or bands, but i've always been a shredder, fast solos, "xtrem" bends and a lot of vibrato (that i've become used to for not having a tremolo in my actual jackson), i love medium tones for solos and stuff.
then, i was guided until now to the models:

Jackson js32 dinky - because i'm already know the feeling of the jackson in some way i like a lot the very thin neck

ESP Ltd m100 fm - ESPs always captured my interest and it seems that this model has a very fast and thin neck too. also, can someone tell me if that XJ frets differs much to the jackson ones? people say that their size makes it good for fast runs through the neck and etc.

ESP ltd m103 fm - all of the above and read below - single coils, more tone variation?

resuming: i'm a guy that likes a lot of styles. blues, rock, metal (and even rap and techno sh1t lol) and i spend quite sometime fingering "acoustic style". but i can't let go of the fast soloing, the thin and 24 fret neck. this is the main concern. with my jackson KV sound never has been a problem, so i believe that with any of that will. What model do you guys think that can fit my needs the most? i'm brazilian, everything here is fuqin expensive and i can't save more money (and both costs the same)...

PS: i kinda have a problem with ibanez :s Asthetics are a huge point for me and i never enjoyed them
Unfortunately if you want a guitar with a Floyd Rose that'll actually do its job properly, you'll need a bigger budget than that.

The cheap Floyds generally do not last nearly as long as the more expensive ones and are a lot more prone to tuning stability problems. A Floyd that does not stay in tune is an absolute nightmare to live with. Fixed bridges are always far more strongly recommended on cheap guitars for this exact reason.

Cheap Floyds also have a habit of their blocks being made of cheap pot metal, which robs tone and sustain as well. No Floyd is going to have the energy transfer of a fixed bridge, but you get a lot less sustain loss with the better Floyds that come with blocks that have a lot more mass and are just more substantially built in general.

Sorry if you cannot save more money up. But with Floyds, you usually get what you pay for.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
jonomaia123

Just a thought to keep in mind, switching to a Floyd will is a whole different animal and will take a bit of getting used to. Your normal bends will take a bit more as the bridge raises as you bend the string, thereby droping the tuning, as you pull on the string. And with double bends it get compounded... If your heart is set on a guitar with a Floyd, you want to steer away from the guitars you have listed..all of the trems on those will just give you headaches, as those are all low model guitars, and the trem systems they put on those are questionable at best, and you will spend more time "trying" to get the guitar in tune than actually playing it,,,, If you want to upgrade guitars that's great!, But if the guitars you have shown are your price range, I would definitely stick with a hardtail bridge, otherwise those low-end floyd replicas will dive you to the point of giving up.
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20 w/ Het Set-White
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
I have 2 Made in Japan Jacksons - Dinky DKMGT and Kelly KE3, a LTD EC-1001, and an E-II Eclipse.

The LTD and E-II both have the Thin U neck, not the extra Thin U the M series have.

I haven't played an LTD Extra Thin U neck for more than a few minutes at a store.

The Regular Thin U is thicker than the Jackson and the guitars you are looking at has a 350mm radius (just over 13"). The Jacksons have the lovely compound 12"-16" radius necks. There's a big difference as you get up the neck around the 12th fret and up.

I'm guessing the Extra Thin U is pretty close to the Jackson in terms of thickness but there is a good bit of difference in feel of the different radii.

The frets on the LTD seem huge compared to the Jackson and I prefer the Jackson size but that's also what I've become used to.

As far as the Floyd systems, chances are the M100 and the JS32 have the same trem except for the logo on them.

I don't have any real experience with these cheap licensed Floyds but here's a point of comparison. The Jackson JT580LP trem on my Kelly is one of the better "not a real OFR" trems from the mid 2000s. It still stays in tune well once it was setup correctly.

The EC-1001 has a Floyd 1000s series which is a Korean made OFR made for OEMs only. It feels way nicer than the Jackson JT580LP trem but is also about 10 years newer.

If this is your price range and you want a Floyd then go for it. It will be critical to take care of it - lube the knife edges, never adjust the action under tension, keep the baseplate parallel to the body, etc.

If the trem does fail on you, you can replace it at that time, lock the trem with something like a Tremol-No, or just upgrade the entire guitar.

Hope all of this helps!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
As an ESP owner I'd say steer clear of the lower end LTD models. I've never owned anything but ESP Standards (real ESP) and Edwards, but I know for fact from owners on FB ESP group (12k+ members) those lower end models bite a big one.
I'd say look for a second-hand MIJ Jackson. I've had a couple and they are leagues above ESP LTD guitar (imo). Both I've had while not on par with my ESP, were definitely of good quality. The jt580 bridge is "ok" and floyds are a direct swap, if you trash the jt. Personally, I'd say go for another hard tail. Unless you're doing Vai-bombs a lot, you probably don't need a floater anyways. I personally prefer hard tails.
Also, there's resale. Lower end LTD don't fetch squat, especially if you buy a new one. A MIJ Jackson will bring a far better resale, for good reason. You get what you pay for. You could find a MIJ Jackson second hand on bay for $200ish
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Unfortunately if you want a guitar with a Floyd Rose that'll actually do its job properly, you'll need a bigger budget than that.

The cheap Floyds generally do not last nearly as long as the more expensive ones and are a lot more prone to tuning stability problems. A Floyd that does not stay in tune is an absolute nightmare to live with. Fixed bridges are always far more strongly recommended on cheap guitars for this exact reason.

Cheap Floyds also have a habit of their blocks being made of cheap pot metal, which robs tone and sustain as well. No Floyd is going to have the energy transfer of a fixed bridge, but you get a lot less sustain loss with the better Floyds that come with blocks that have a lot more mass and are just more substantially built in general.

Sorry if you cannot save more money up. But with Floyds, you usually get what you pay for.

Agreed.

(that being said i think my edge pro has a cheapo block on it, and it feels and reacts like the good floyds. but it (and the original edge and lo-pro) may be the exceptions that prove the rule- they're well-made trems (by gotoh in japan) apart from that, and the cheapo floyds aren't made as well, don't have hardened steel knife edges etc.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had the opportunity to have at home for 2 weeks an ESP LTD EX-50, an esp LTD EC-401 and an LTD EC-1000 (I have a Jackson RR5)
The EX-50 with stock pickups; EC-401 with EMG 81/61 and the EC-1000 with Seymour Duncans Distortion/Jazz. I played a lot of Metallica to compare their sound. I was very suprised!! It has now become clear to me how much the internet guitarist are STUPID and let themselves be driven by marketing and psychological factors.

The ESP Designed LH-150 pickups do not have as much output, but are hot enough to make a good sound; I'm a room player only, no gigs (A LOT of internet guitar players are like that, maybe the majority), so they sounded pretty good for this kind of goal. About the tone aspect, I can say that they are on the same level or better!!
It sounds like a passive kinda EMG, but much more balanced the EMG HZ. Compared to EMG, it sounds much more organic: EMG souned like a plastic heap in comparison. The SD has more clarity, but the sound is more strident, dry and irritating.

Now I see how some (some!) stocks are great and how much bullshit internet guitarrists talk. They get carried away by marketing, by others and by prejudices that will modulate their auditory perception. People spend a lot of money to swap pickups, and then the difference is insignificant, sometimes it's for the worse, but they need to justify their mistake by defending and glorifying their EMG's or Duncans like religion extremists... Youtube is full of blind tests showing experienced guitarist confusing cheap guitars with custom and expensive pickups with stock. Psychology! Placebo!

Anyone who disagrees, record an excerpt with an ESP LH-150 comparing with an EMG / Seymour / DiMarzio etc...

WAKE UP!!!
I agree that there's a lot of BS going round when it comes to guitar stuff (both with the marketing and with guitar players themselves), but what other gear were you using with those pickups?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was in a guitar shop today noodling around. Best axe I played was a $350 LTD with Floyd special.
Quote by ABSilva
I had the opportunity to have at home for 2 weeks an ESP LTD EX-50, an esp LTD EC-401 and an LTD EC-1000 (I have a Jackson RR5)
The EX-50 with stock pickups; EC-401 with EMG 81/61 and the EC-1000 with Seymour Duncans Distortion/Jazz. I played a lot of Metallica to compare their sound. I was very suprised!! It has now become clear to me how much the internet guitarist are STUPID and let themselves be driven by marketing and psychological factors.

The ESP Designed LH-150 pickups do not have as much output, but are hot enough to make a good sound; I'm a room player only, no gigs (A LOT of internet guitar players are like that, maybe the majority), so they sounded pretty good for this kind of goal. About the tone aspect, I can say that they are on the same level or better!!
It sounds like a passive kinda EMG, but much more balanced the EMG HZ. Compared to EMG, it sounds much more organic: EMG souned like a plastic heap in comparison. The SD has more clarity, but the sound is more strident, dry and irritating.

Now I see how some (some!) stocks are great and how much bullshit internet guitarrists talk. They get carried away by marketing, by others and by prejudices that will modulate their auditory perception. People spend a lot of money to swap pickups, and then the difference is insignificant, sometimes it's for the worse, but they need to justify their mistake by defending and glorifying their EMG's or Duncans like religion extremists... Youtube is full of blind tests showing experienced guitarist confusing cheap guitars with custom and expensive pickups with stock. Psychology! Placebo!

Anyone who disagrees, record an excerpt with an ESP LH-150 comparing with an EMG / Seymour / DiMarzio etc...

WAKE UP!!!

What in the HELL does this copy/paste from your locked thread have to do with the subject matter of this thread?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz
1. He asks about two LTD's that comes with LH-150 pickups. He needs information, he is in doubt, needs to make a decision;
2. I talked exactly about THE PICKUPS OF TWO OF HIS 3 OPTIONS. Pickups are important and I even spoke in a COMPARATIVE way.
3. Return do nº 1.

Now shake my hands and give me a gift as compensation. A gift to comfort me

=)
ABSilva
The original question focused on the Floyd Rose treks on these guitars, not pickups. He also mentions he's got constraints based on location and budget. He asked one question about pickups- specifically about a variant with singlecoils. Other posters noted all of this and are trying to steer him to better options.

You, OTOH, took this as an opportunity to spread your "gospel" about some pickups you dislike* that happen to be in those guitars. Your copypasted wordwank is, at best, of marginal utility here.

You could have simply adopted the Shakespearean approach- "Brevity is the soul of wit""..."- and conveyed your concerns with "...and besides, the pickups in those guitars aren't particularly good. You'd be better off with __________." But you didn't.

As my esteemed colleague pointed out before locking your thread,

Ironically, making such an assertion in a sensationalist manner isn't much different from the fanaticism of the so-called 'religious extremists' you're condemning

So be helpful and on point, or begone.

* which, to be clear, I don't like either.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz
Calm down, man...
I "could" have reposted this in any threat, but I only did it once and here ... Got it? I shouldn't, because
obviously one can not consider the relation between the floyd-rose bridge and the pickup in the sonority of a guitar which is target for several different styles...ok
Last edited by ABSilva at Jan 4, 2017,