So here's the deal, I have been offered a trade of a Peavey JSX 212 combo for a 212 can I am selling plus a bit of cash on my end. Its a good deal and I have been a fan of the amp for years.

The dilemma is that I now have a MESA Single Rec for my high gain needs that I am quite happy with and I am wondering if it's worth gettig the JSX, is it different enough to enjoy or am I just going to end up just putting it in the corner because of my MESA? I haven't played a JSX in years, I remember that I loved the high gain tone, but can't really compare the two. What do you guys think?

I also have an offer for a Carvin V3M, same question as above, also any comments on the V3M clean channel?
Last edited by guitarsngear at Jan 1, 2017,
The JSX will be quite different from your Rec. Much tighter response and a different voicing in the tone. I'd buy it just for its leads if you already like the rhythm sounds out of your rec. Plus, the JSX probably has better cleans -- the cleans are real good in fact. I think it would complement your Mesa nicely, rather than be overshadowed by it. Can't comment on the Carvin, as I've never played one. But I'd say do the deal on the JSX.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Me personally, I'd just stick with the Mesa. Mesa recto is leaps and bounds beyond anything Peavey makes. Granted I'm a biased Mesa man.
Kinda like asking do I need another beer in my opinion, Of course you need another amp, Also a couple more guitars while your at it
Carvin V3m has a good clean channel ..... takes a bit of a learning curve to tweak the amps gain channels but it's a nice amp , I would rather play my V3m head over my Mesa MK V but with that said the dual recto is my favorite ..... haven't played the JSX , only Peavey's I have played are Classic 30 (still have ) and the 6505 plus 1x12 which I didn't like and sold
Are you getting a good enough deal that you can flip it for a profit? If so then buy and flip if you don't use it. If not, then maybe pass for something that you really want.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
MK V is a great amp ... but it's a guitar change away from needing re-dialed .. pia after a while , never owned a guitar amp other than this that can go from beautiful to crap just from switching guitars .... bad boy studio amp where you can play with it , or a guy that has several of the same guitar , terrible on a gig with several guitars ( just MHO) in less you can change dials quickly between guitar changes ..... is it worth the extra 1400.00 cash over a V3m new vs new ?? maybe , maybe not ..... still rather play the V3m over my MK V but I'm more recto anyway
Quote by nastytroll
Kinda like asking do I need another beer in my opinion, Of course you need another amp, Also a couple more guitars while your at it

Exactly. He's in the wrong forum to get any sort of logical advice. The answer to every question here is "get a new/another amp."
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by nastytroll

Quote by KailM
Exactly. He's in the wrong forum to get any sort of logical advice. The answer to every question here is "get a new/another amp."

+1
I'm a big fan of the JSX, probably one of my fav amps actually. I'd get it as it compliments what your mesa can do and is sufficiently different to it as well
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I'm with KaiM and Shredx on this one I'd go for the JSX without hesitation. Just a great amp all round.
Quote by Fumble fingers
MK V is a great amp ... but it's a guitar change away from needing re-dialed .. pia after a while , never owned a guitar amp other than this that can go from beautiful to crap just from switching guitars .... bad boy studio amp where you can play with it , or a guy that has several of the same guitar , terrible on a gig with several guitars ( just MHO) in less you can change dials quickly between guitar changes ..... is it worth the extra 1400.00 cash over a V3m new vs new ?? maybe , maybe not ..... still rather play the V3m over my MK V but I'm more recto anyway

OK, I can see that, but IMO the V3 is along the same boat, I changed from humbucker to single coil on that amp and it needed a complete redo on the settings, although with some tweaks from the tone controls on these guitars you should get something serviceable? I am kinda surprised as I am currently gunning for a Mark V and might sell a few amps to get there and now with your revelation you're kinda making me rethink the whole idea.

I guess the best "touch and forget" amps I've found are the Orange Rockerverb or smaller tube combos. For the most part you can set them on the middle and do a whole gig with different guitars. Same thing with the Fender amps but they're usually too clean for me to own one of their big tube amps.
it took some time with the V3m to get dialed , slightly un happy at first ..... now I have it tuned to the point where a guitar change is just what you would expect with a guitar change ......

the MK V is so sensitive you can turn the bass in to blubber real easy , adding to the flame I gigged it before I had a grip on dialing it in and had a real trebley tone on a gig and had trouble dialing it out quickly , was set perfect at home , I'm much better tuning it now but I would still just want one guitar on a gig ...... now for studio work where you have some time to dial in between songs the MK V is King

I have the big brother version of the V3m called a V3 ...... this thing is real hard to dial in so far , nothing like the V3m as far as settings and still don't have it figured out yet .... but it's a killer single coil amp so far .... the thing will sustain a single coil guitar note for 25 seconds easy , more sustain than my Dual Recto with a humbucker ...lol ..... so far I like the V3m way more than the V3 but the V3 does have a good single coil sustain if you need something like that , I'm sure there is more tone than that inside , just haven't found them yet
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Jan 3, 2017,
do you need an amp? why not.

i have a recto and JSX, and 18 (yes18) more tube amps. they all have their niche.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Fumble fingers weird... I demoed the Mark V recently and was amazed on the amount of definition I got even using heavy distortion, was really easy to dial in but I haven't tried it in a mix with a band, maybe that's where it will get lost. I tried it through one guitar, a very nice US-made Suhr.