Hell yeah! Got this beautiful girl yesterday. Had to do some hands on before writing up my post.
Visually, she is gorgeous. I bought her as a "2016 demo". She has a tiny ding on the back of bass wing, and a tiny lil chip on very end of bass wing. Other than that she is perfect as new. Less damage than expected.
Her case is the nicest case I've ever had. Cool blue and white toltex. And the interior is nice and plush. Not a case you'd want to throw around in the back of a pickup.
The inlays and ebony board are delicious. Neck binding is flawless. Jumbo stainless steel frets. Very cool headstock too. It's see thru black or something. Very subtle dark wood grain behind the gorgeous GJ2 logo. With a "Made in USA by Grover Jackson" truss rod cover. And with hipshot staggered locking tuners. Paired with the Floyd string lock, she has yet to go out of tune.
The body is the classic Randy Rhoads Concorde, originally designed for Randy by Grover himself. The curve at the bottom of the wings is a nice accentuation to the subtle curves of the head. I've always been a fan of the Flying V Concorde style. The pickups are an unknown. I don't think they're Grovers in-house Habaneros, as those weren't released until October I believe. The bridge is not F spaced, and the poles don't exactly line up with the strings. I have a Nazgul/Sentient set I will be dropping in. The knobs are the cool flying saucer type, with grippy rubber rings. The tone pot was slightly loose, and it was a btch getting that lil ring off to get access to the set screw. Pots are stamped US 500K. Both the cavity covers are brushed aluminum. With the serial number silk screened on the control cover. The input jack is kind of in an awkward location. Just below the back strap button. A straight tip cord earthier dangles free or makes a goofy curve back towards the button, if you tuck your cord like I do. I have an angled cord, but the jack is recessed so I can't use it. I found an angled tip cord online that has a bit of length before it makes the 90 degree angle. I'm hoping this is the ticket. Input jack location is probably my only gripe, but I'm sure it's easily fixable with the right cord. The bridge is of course an Original Floyd Rose.
She plays like a dream. The action is very low. Just a hint of neck relief, as I prefer. Zero fret buzz anywhere. Easy access to lower frets due to V body. She only has 22 frets, but that's not an issue for me. I have other guitars with 24. After looking at Grovers other models, I don't think he even makes a 24 fret. Sounds "ok" compared to my ESP M2 that has Seymour Duncan SH-6b. The SH-2b is my personal fav, so anything else has a hard time comparing. I've heard good things about the Nazgul/Sentient set, which I happen to have already. I think the Nazgul will fill the bill perfectly, considering my fondness for SH-6b. And I think the blacked out lettering and pole pieces will flow with the rest of the hardware. And she already has matte black pup rings, which match the matte black of the Nazgul/Sentient pickups. And also a perfect match for the matte black flying saucer knobs.
I can't wait to get the Seymours installed. I'm just paranoid as fck about dropping her off with a luthier. I had the Duncan put in my ESP M2 at Capitol Guitars, and the knucklehead put a scratch near the bridge screw height. While my M2 is a "player" I prefer to add the character myself. My Concorde is next to perfect. I'd probably have to sue someone if they scratched her. I'll probably take her to Willies American Guitars. They are a boutique shop, with many very high end Gibson, Rickenbachers, etc etc. if their luthier can work on a $10000 guitar, I'm hoping he's up to task of working on my $3600 guitar. They are probably the most high end shop in the Twin Cities. If anyone in Minnesota can vouche or refer, I'm all ears.
This concludes my review. I give the Concorde 5 stars for sure. She is easily the nicest guitar I've ever had. Just above the 80's CS Rhoads I used to own, and leagues above the ESP Standard. I hope to have her company many years. I'm a GJ2 fan now for sure. Grovers line is just phenomenal.

Last edited by Diatribes at Jan 1, 2017,
awesome

nice case too

that sucks about your other pickup swap you got done. i hate doing diy stuff myself but i'm also scared stiff about letting anyone else near my guitars for that reason
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
I know, right? And what do you do if they scratch up your ride? I mean you could sue anyone for any reason. Doesn't mean you'll get anything
I'd like to let Capitol Guitars do the work. Their owner Eric is a pretty decent guy. Shit, he'd probably do my Concorde for free considering they scratched my M2. I called him and told him when I saw the scratch. He seemed pretty ticked about it. Wanted to know what I wanted out of it. I told him not a biggie since guitar was kinda beat anyways, but I also said if guitar was minty I'd be pretty ticked off. I just wanted him to be aware of what his luthier had done, for future reference. Definitely not a cool thing to do, regardless of condition. And not to even say anything... I'm sure he looked at the guitar condition and though "so what" but that wasn't his call to make. I know as a business owner, if I did something along those lines I'd approach a customer with recommendations to fix or make it right, and let them decide what they thought best to make them a happy customer. if that courtesy had been extended to me, I would have greatly appreciated it. And I wouldn't have asked for anything, same as I did when I talked to the owner of that shop. Damn I talk alot
I could tell just by looking at the picture that she was an expensive guitar.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
NewDayHappy
she was listed at Red Dragon Guitars for $3700. I didn't pay that much. I got her for About the same as what your LP Standard cost used.
About what I would consider mid range
Last edited by Diatribes at Jan 2, 2017,
Diatribes

You call that midrange? Ha!!!!! I'd love to see what your finances look like.
Some see the glass half full, others see the glass half empty. Me? I see that the glass is refillable.
NewDayHappy

I only call that mid range due to many guitars costing much more. I consider it a top of the line Guitar regardless of price though.
Diatribes

For me $2,800 is a lot of money. It took me 7 years to get my LP. I dreamt of it for years, so when people bash me for talking up Gibson, well that's why.

Don't get it twisted though, that is upper echelon. It is not midrange, not at all.
NewDayHappy

Oh for sure I totally agree. As stated previously, I consider it mid range in price, not quality. While there's guitars that far exceed $5k and even $10k, I don't consider them any better. Once you reach a certain point in price you're paying for flair, not playability, in my opinion.
I actually got my Concorde for under $1500. Do I consider her on par with guitars that far exceed that price? Most definitely.
Diatribes

I'm 29 years old, it took me lots of hard work to reach my level of financial stability; to you $2,800 may not seem top end, but really it is. Anything more than that and I would be sincerely worried I'd get robbed. If you compare a fuckin 1960s strat or a 59 LP burst to any other guitar they will seem cheap, but to a typical IDK middle class family (like me) $2,800 is about the most I can stretch my budget. If you can afford more, I hope you take a second to appreciate how blessed you are.
NewDayHappy

I don't get why you seem ticked. I already said your guitar is top quality.
However much you or I agree to that, it's not anywhere near top end on price. THAT is the point I was making.
Personally, I wouldn't spend more than $1500 or so on any guitar. I buy second hand and more often than not haggle the shit out of sellers. I've also been very lucky to find exceptional deals on high quality gear. Lucky me.
And I stated my Concorde was roughly the same price as what your LP would be, bought second hand.
You got a nice guitar that you obviously like very much. I never bashed it once. I don't get the hostility. Why does my opinion on prices matter?
Pointylicious!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
That's a pretty cool take on the V shape. HNGD!
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Nice! Just be careful not to put an eye out with that puppy, and by all means don't run with it in your hands
Last edited by nastytroll at Jan 2, 2017,
Quote by Diatribes
Dave_Mc
I know, right? And what do you do if they scratch up your ride? I mean you could sue anyone for any reason. Doesn't mean you'll get anything
I'd like to let Capitol Guitars do the work. Their owner Eric is a pretty decent guy. Shit, he'd probably do my Concorde for free considering they scratched my M2. I called him and told him when I saw the scratch. He seemed pretty ticked about it. Wanted to know what I wanted out of it. I told him not a biggie since guitar was kinda beat anyways, but I also said if guitar was minty I'd be pretty ticked off. I just wanted him to be aware of what his luthier had done, for future reference. Definitely not a cool thing to do, regardless of condition. And not to even say anything... I'm sure he looked at the guitar condition and though "so what" but that wasn't his call to make. I know as a business owner, if I did something along those lines I'd approach a customer with recommendations to fix or make it right, and let them decide what they thought best to make them a happy customer. if that courtesy had been extended to me, I would have greatly appreciated it. And I wouldn't have asked for anything, same as I did when I talked to the owner of that shop. Damn I talk alot

Haha

And yeah exactly right regarding the scratch (they should've come clean, I mean do they really think you won't notice?). Plus as you say, even if they do offer to make it right, it's still not as good as not making the scratch in the first place- as you said, if it were a mint guitar, you probably don't want any dints in it. Maybe it's a rare model that can't be replaced... getting offered a pack of strings, or maybe the setup/pickup install half price isn't really going to make up for that. Heck, offering a full refund on the pickup install wouldn't make up for that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 2, 2017,
Dave_Mc
Yep for sure. And a solo shop like that would probably not do a whole lot about it.
I was in GC today buying a new cord, and asked my buddy there about pup install. I told him about my M2 and asked what they at GC would do if I let them install a pup on my Concorde and scratched it, considering it's like new. He said "find you a new one". I am skeptical. It's not like you can just acquire them like the big guitar makers. They'd have to order one, and it would probably cost over $3500. I doubt they would just keep mine and replace her with a new one. They'd probably offer me a used epiphone or something. I'd have to sue them.
Even if I did let them do the work, I'd be standing right there the whole time watching like a hawk. Hmm maybe I should let them do it. Any other place I'd have to drop her off, and any damages would basically be my word versus theirs. So many people are stand up in words, but when push comes to shove lack any integrity.
Quote by bjgrifter
That's a pretty cool take on the V shape. HNGD!

The Concorde shape has been around since Randy Rhoads had his built by Grover Jackson way back in the day.
Quote by Diatribes
Dave_Mc
Yep for sure. And a solo shop like that would probably not do a whole lot about it.
I was in GC today buying a new cord, and asked my buddy there about pup install. I told him about my M2 and asked what they at GC would do if I let them install a pup on my Concorde and scratched it, considering it's like new. He said "find you a new one". I am skeptical. It's not like you can just acquire them like the big guitar makers. They'd have to order one, and it would probably cost over $3500. I doubt they would just keep mine and replace her with a new one. They'd probably offer me a used epiphone or something. I'd have to sue them.
Even if I did let them do the work, I'd be standing right there the whole time watching like a hawk. Hmm maybe I should let them do it. Any other place I'd have to drop her off, and any damages would basically be my word versus theirs. So many people are stand up in words, but when push comes to shove lack any integrity.

yeah that's true. i'd be sceptical of what they said about replacing it, too. i guess you could take some photos of the guitar next to the day's newspaper before dropping it off. maybe that's getting a little paranoid, though. (That being said you did get that last guitar scratched, so maybe not that paranoid.)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
No such thing as paranoid when dealing with potential damage to a new geet. Especially after dealing with shit happening. I'll probably let GC do it and verify with a store manager what will happen if they scratch her up. Or maybe do it myself. How hard could it be to solder in one none active bucker that isn't coil tapped? It's like what three wires? I've done it before but not for about 20 years
yeah that's true. i was only sort of thinking out loud. I hate it when people call you paranoid when you're scared of something happening which has happened before
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?