I've been using a SansAmp PSA-1 for awhile now. It's been a very adequate preamp. One of my ESP buddies got me GASing for tube preamps... He has an ENGL 570. I listened to some clips and it seems just sick nasty brootz. So... I bought one ๐Ÿ˜ I haven't received it yet. In process of being shipped. Should have it next week.
My question is, are they all that and then some? How do they compare to other tube preamps? I used to have a Mesa Formula Pre. How does the 570 compare? How does the 570 compare to my SansAmp? Apples/oranges I know.
I'm going to be running it through my Rocktron Velocity 250. I'm hoping this combo works well. If not I'll probably buy a Mesa 50/50. I've heard the 570 works better with EL84's over the 6L6 though. Guess I'll cross that bridge if I have to when I have to.
And my cabs are Peavey Butcher with k85's top and Peavey XXL with 144 Blue Marvels on the bottom.
Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by Diatribes at Jan 1, 2017,
I haven't tried this one. Can't talk to you about "all that."

I've got three tube preamps -- a Carvin Quad-X, a Triaxis and an Egnater M-4. I've mostly run them with various tube power amps (most recent was a Carvin Ts-100 50W/50W EL34/6L6 based amp) into V30-based 4x12s. But after I picked up a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B., I dragged them out of storage and tried them with the C.A.B., a Carvin solid state power amp and some full-range cabinets.

The C.A.B. is magic -- not only do you have a bunch of cabinet IRs built in, but the C.A.B. also provides tube power amp sims: EL34, EL84, 6L6, Kt88, etc.

If you get a chance to try out that combination, do so.
I may be slightly biased as I'm an ENGL loyalist, but it should do you just fine. It's really similar to the e530, but with more features and slightly different tone. The e530 is a mean sunuvabitch, my second favorite ENGL after the Savage, and if you want br00tz it will deliver.
As another PSA-1 user I'd have to say that the most important thing is to run it thru a good tube power amp. The Mesa power amp is great. Mine goes through Peavey Classic 50/50 which also rocks with it.
I think tge Engl will just be a different flavor. Cool thing is you can probably even use both. I'd dump the Rocktron right away.
diabolical
The Rocktron actually works quite well and is very transparent if I choose it to be. It's been kicking ass with my PSA-1. The definition and reactance knobs work good to dial in. I actually recently picked up another 412 and I got it sounding pretty sweet sitting under my current 412. And a lot of the fractal dudes use the Velocity to run their Axes.
I'm definitely going to see how it sounds
Quote by Ippon
I had the SE E670 and Powerball II (heads) and like most German-built amps (H&K and Diezel), are built like tanks and will deliver, from Dinosaur Rock to modern Metal. Do a thread after it arrives.

The e670 front panel looks very similar to the 570 preamp. I wonder how close the preamps are?
The idea for modeling rig guys is to have neutral sounds and feed house PA or neutral speakers with it. In your case you're actually neutering tube pres by putting them through SS head. Same with the PSA-1, it sounds great through tube power amp, by itself is bland.
diabolical
I would argue with that. The sound I get with my rig is quite powerful.
And it's not like I haven't had anything to compare it to. My last rig was pushing a Mesa Formula Pre through a Simul 295, into EV loaded cabs.
While the rig I'm running now doesn't quite sound as natural, it is definitely up there with it.
I'm pretty confident the poweramp I'm using now will flow with the ENGL. if it doesn't though I'm already shopping for a 2:50
Last edited by Diatribes at Jan 3, 2017,
I've only played the e530, but was very tempted to get one. They are really really good, hopefully the 570 kicks ass for you!

Let us know when it arrives and give us some clips
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I was guitar tech for touring band a while back and $ was not an issue. The guy had Triaxis preamp which ended thru Mesa 2:90 power amps, we tested several components, including PSA-1 preamp and the Triaxis via solid state and various tube power amps and at point that Rocktron was one of the amps, compared to tube it was weak and boring. It didn't even make it to 2nd round, which was Mesa, Marshall and Peavey tube power amps. To be fair the Carvin tube power amp also lost in the first round.
In my case I went with Classic 50/50 for my PSA-1 due to the fact I couldn't afford the Mesa, the guy I was tech for bought two Mesa 2:90's and sounded killer.
diabolical

Thank you for info. Good to know.
How would you think a 2:50 would hold up versus a 2:90? For the PSA-1 and the ENGL both?
And what are your thoughts in VHT power amps? Like the 2/50/2 vs a Mesa 2:50?
By VHT you mean Fryette? They should be great based on power sections of their heads (Pittbull, Sig X) that I've heard.
I think Engl makes poweramp to pair with your preamp, it might be the right route considering they're same brand. Marshall Monobloc is great also:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-el34-100-100-dual-monobloc-amp

The 50 watt per side Mesa should be fine as well.
Quote by diabolical
By VHT you mean Fryette? They should be great based on power sections of their heads (Pittbull, Sig X) that I've heard.
I think Engl makes poweramp to pair with your preamp, it might be the right route considering they're same brand. Marshall Monobloc is great also:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-el34-100-100-dual-monobloc-amp

The 50 watt per side Mesa should be fine as well.

I only buy used and when it's a deal. Considering my taste for mid-high end gear, I know that's somewhat unconventional. But, I do score deals. $850 shipped for said ENGL 570... I don't think that's too shabby considering they're like $2k. I can get a used 2:50 for pretty cheap. I doubt I'll find a deal on an ENGL 840, for example.
I've heard the different tube set of the 2:90 is more desirable. But I don't really need all that much power. I mean it's ok, but I usually play at lower levels. I don't gig, currently. And I'm sure if I started again a 2:50 would work fine.
Maybe a 2:50 would be better suited, for better tube break up at lower volumes.
That said, I'd prefer to get the better sounding unit overall. Regardless of what volume I play at. I do crank my stack when feel inclined.
After MUCH reviewing VHT 2/50/2, Mesa 20/20, 50/50, 2/100, 2:50 and 2:90, I decided to pull the trigger on a Mesa 50/50. ($450 shipped
It's an older unit without the "deep mod" and choke, that Mesa later added to those units to make them more compatable with the TriAxis.
From what I've read, the older 50/50's are more transparent and better suited to non TriAxis preamps. It also has the HI PWR/LO PWR switch, which is appealing to me. Sometimes I want to play at lower volumes, and using the lower power setting would enable me to do this and still get tube break up.
I will have my ENGL tomorrow. I just bought the Mesa moments ago. Hopefully have it next week...?
Oh shit this thing fckn kills!
And I haven't even finished dialing it in!

nice man.
#makeracksgreatagain
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Very nice! I'd love to get an ENGL to compliment the Mesa!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
haha awesome

i know the word on the net was that it was the preamp of the SE (you asked above), but I have no idea. I know the SE was pretty awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
haha awesome

i know the word on the net was that it was the preamp of the SE (you asked above), but I have no idea. I know the SE was pretty awesome

Never tried the 670 but holy shit is this pre awesome. Can't wait til I get me Mesa power amp. Should be all br00tz and dr00l
the bands of the brootz you love probably do 10 layers heh.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
multiple guitar tracks son.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
multiple guitar tracks son.
t

Oh, yeah, duh. That's kinda rhetorical don't ya think?
Son, lol