As the title suggests. Splitting from my previous thread I have near enough decided (and convinced the wife) that it is time for a new GeeTar and I have probably (for now at least) settled on an Ibanez S520....

So, having had a fiddle in the shop with it and it seemingly play well (from a complete muppet's view point <---- (me)) what should I actually be looking for.

It is already overpriced because I am in the butt end of no where in the Philippines. I have discovered a scratch on the back of it, certainly no wood blemishing or staining issue, looks like a nice run off a belt buckle but I'm not too worried about that. Because of that it was discounted 12% (hmmm, same as sales tax....).

I was unsure if there is also an issue with the floyd rose as the D string fine adjustment screw has a lot of compression on the spring (spring is wonky) but I am sure this can be fixed. It does lead me to think that a full set up is also required. Would this entitle me to get any further discount or is this just a normal acceptance when purchasing?

It has also been in the shop as far as I can tell from at least April 2016 - and possibly some time before, of course new strings will probably need to be put on. Should I be begging for a set to get thrown in too?

Finally, as it has been in the store for so long I expect many a number of hands have been having a play with it....does this in any way lower it's value or again, is this just normal and to be expected.

I need to do a further and more thorough inspecting of neck, head stock and pick ups next time I go in.

They certainly don't have any further stock of the guitar out back and I'd be happy to take it however I do feel a little bit dinged when I am having to pay essentially retail price for a scratched guitar. Please do understand, my options are quite limited. No other music store around and I can accept a certain amount of price inflation due to location BUT what should I really be looking for?

Thanks all for the patience of reading through that - you deserve a lie down

Just want to be armed with purchasing power and not the next lemon walking in the door (which I basically am...)

ThanQz

Edit to add: I will not be entrusting it to the shop to set up - generally speaking people aren't that fantastic and couldn't care less about what customer service is like. Have a few buddies in a band who can help me out with it so I will be owing a few rounds to those guys.
Last edited by hydreliox at Jan 2, 2017,
I'd show them the fine tuner problem and ask for the discount,a setup and some new strings thrown in and then you'll buy it.Then you can still get your friend to set it up even if you're not happy with how the shop does it.
@EyeballPaul Thanks for the tip - just food for thought, if they don't have a set up service (thinking ahead of where I am in the world now) should I be doing anything different? Or just accept if for what it is with limited options available?

I guess ultimately it boils down to it's actual worth and what I am prepared to pay for it.

I can add on $30-50 just for being here (and I am fine with that) - but otherwise what is a scratched and badly set up Ibanez S520 actually worth (that is sold as 'new')?

Just for others references:

In store it's marketed price as $608 (coverted from PHP) - rest of the world is around $535-550 as far as I can tell.
The price less 12% (which is what I was offered after I pointed out the scratches) is $545

So if in theory I remove the cost of location (30-50) and we call it $505 in real terms - are we happy with that with set up, strings, etc including.

Sounds about reasonable?!
What are your internet options? As it would appear the guitar in question has not been set up properly it may be safe to assume that the shop is incapable of doing it, Or else they already would have, making it easier to sell, Then again that Edge III bridge can be a bit tricky to balance anyway, So that's as good as they could get it, If that's the case then the one that arrives at your door could be set up correctly from the factory, Although a crap shoot generally they're set up pretty well straight out of the box with guitars in that price range, In any case by the sounds of your location you should learn to do it yourself anyway, Its not exactly rocket science, Plenty of online tutorials, As to haggling a better deal, Its all in the way you hold your face brother, Personally I'd lay 4 bills on the counter and ask them how much longer they want that scratched up demo queen on they're floor, If they balk throw out another 50 spot, Leave your hand on the stack slowly pulling it towards you, while saying going, going.... if they still balk. Gone .... Let me know if you change your mind, Then put the money back in your pocket, Do it in a nice way of course, as we need to keep in good standings with our local music stores, As to what to look for? That's different for everybody, I look for rare or oddball stuff these days, so my only real options are EBay or Reverb, But then I don't really worry about set up or needed repairs as I can do that myself, and as I like a little higher action than most I usually do a set up on them anyway. As it seems your looking for a shredder the Ibanez is a good choice, Not a big fan of that Edge bridge myself, but if your the patient type and like messing around with guitars and such you should be able to figure it out, As I said its not exactly rocket science, Basically its Ibanez's take on a Floyd, Same thing but different so to say, Let us know how it goes.
Hey nastytroll - thanks for the time to reply.

Hmmm, I must admit I thought the Ibanez trem is an Edge II (according to a spec sheet) but it may not be the case. Anyway of telling the difference?

Internet options for ordering are pretty slim - Philippines has 90% import duty on stuff and a very dodgy customs system. Online options within the country are slim to none - Legator, Jackson Dinky 32 and not a lot else.

I will get my negotiating face on and I like your tips regarding friendly haggling

I'm a fairly practical guy so I'm pretty sure I can completely screw up the set up and start over and eventually get there!

Again, thanks for the feedback!
Quote by hydreliox
@EyeballPaul Thanks for the tip - just food for thought, if they don't have a set up service (thinking ahead of where I am in the world now) should I be doing anything different? Or just accept if for what it is with limited options available?

I guess ultimately it boils down to it's actual worth and what I am prepared to pay for it.

I can add on $30-50 just for being here (and I am fine with that) - but otherwise what is a scratched and badly set up Ibanez S520 actually worth (that is sold as 'new')?

Just for others references:

In store it's marketed price as $608 (coverted from PHP) - rest of the world is around $535-550 as far as I can tell.
The price less 12% (which is what I was offered after I pointed out the scratches) is $545

So if in theory I remove the cost of location (30-50) and we call it $505 in real terms - are we happy with that with set up, strings, etc including.

Sounds about reasonable?!
Well i don't know much about Ibanez but it sounds good.