So, I'm having a bit of a meltdown on what pickups I'm going to put into my PRS SE.

I've owned this PRS SE Paul Allender model for at least 7 years now, and it's remained bog-standard up until now. However, I've got a hankering to make some modifications.

I listen to a lot of 'djenty prog metal'. So, think Mark Holcomb from Periphery or similar guitarists. Tone along these lines is what I'm searching for:

I've got a Nazgul/Sentient set in my Mayones Duvell, and I love that Nazgul pickup, but I don't feel as though it has the low-end that I'm looking for. Plus, I want something a bit different.

I've been looking at the Bare Knuckle Warpig, as well as the Seymour Duncan Black Winter. I also came across a custom pickup designer in the UK today, who I've spoken to, and would be willing to make me a custom set of pickups with the same type of voicing as the BK WarPig. However, he thinks I should go for a P90 (in humbucker casing) in the neck pickup.

The cheapest option (if I were to go new) would be to go with the custom pickup guy. But obviously this runs the biggest risk, as I can't 'try before I buy', so to speak.

What do you guys think I should do? Or have any other recommendations?
who is the custom pickup guy? just to check that he's well-regarded, i mean.

and yeah going custom can be a bit of a risk, but at the same time if you can't try the off-the-shelf option before you buy it either there's not much difference. On the other hand, the resale will be a lot better on an off-the-shelf model.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
who is the custom pickup guy? just to check that he's well-regarded, i mean.

and yeah going custom can be a bit of a risk, but at the same time if you can't try the off-the-shelf option before you buy it either there's not much difference. On the other hand, the resale will be a lot better on an off-the-shelf model.

Fair statement. So maybe I should just keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand BK WarPig
I'll suggest these:

Railhammer Chisel HB

Railhammer Anvil HB (bridge only)

If you want a HB-sized P90, try the Railhammer Billy Corgan Humcutter:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well Bareknuckle Juggernauts are sig pickups from Misha of Periphery. If you like their tones, then you cant really go wrong with that. Id also check out the Fishman Fluence and the EMG 57/66 set. I have the last one, and its amazing for modern metal tones, altough i rarely djent much.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Jake has sig dimarzio's which are quite nice. The guy from Northlane just released a sig from bareknuckle too

EDIT: hows the Duvell? Can't decide between one of them or a Regius for my next 7 string
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Last edited by Shredx at Jan 3, 2017,
Quote by alistairdunne1994

I listen to a lot of 'djenty prog metal'. So, think Mark Holcomb from Periphery or similar guitarists. Tone along these lines is what I'm searching for:

I've got a Nazgul/Sentient set in my Mayones Duvell, and I love that Nazgul pickup, but I don't feel as though it has the low-end that I'm looking for. Plus, I want something a bit different.

l as the Seymour Duncan Black Winter.
What do you guys think I should do? Or have any other recommendations?

Perhaps an Alpha/Omega set?
Quote by alistairdunne1994
Fair statement. So maybe I should just keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand BK WarPig

I mean, it just depends, you know? If what you want isn't available off the shelf and the custom guy can make you exactly what you want, then resale doesn't really matter. And even with the popular stuff, you still take a hit if you have to sell it (at least if you buy new).

It's hard to know, unfortunately. Maybe the s/h Warpig might be the thing- at least (with some luck, since the second-hand market currently sucks I think) you might not lose too much if you don't like it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Shredx
Jake has sig dimarzio's which are quite nice. The guy from Northlane just released a sig from bareknuckle too

EDIT: hows the Duvell? Can't decide between one of them or a Regius for my next 7 string

I've played a fair number of Mayones guitars. Even played a £5.5k Misha Mansoor model with a true temperament system on it. My view is, they both awesome, but I'm still yet to pick up a Regius which makes me squeal inside with excitement. On paper, the Regius is better, for me. But the Duvell's just SCREAM.
Lace pickups are awesome, and they are priced great. Check out the Brett Hinds signatures. I use the Drop and Gain set and they are awesome. All the low end you can handle with none of the mud.