Okay, so let me describe what I'm looking for:

I want something, preferably stereo, that will allow me to play fairly loud in a large room, a garage, or even a backyard, whilst (yes, I said "whilst") jamming on my own or with a couple friends. I play mostly lead guitar, rock, jazz, and metal. And here's the important part: I'm going to be using plugins only, mostly Amplitube 4. So as you can guess, I want something that is basically flat, that will not change my tone too much. I'm using every channel in Amplitube, meaning the pedals, the amp, the cabs, and the rack. So someone had recommended something like a keyboard amp.

But again, I would prefer having a setup in stereo, something on the left and right (because some of the pedals/effects I use are stereo), that would allow me to get loud enough without messing with my tone coming out of Amplitube 4. I was looking at things like studio monitors, because they're flat, but most of those are targeted where you need to be in a sweet spot. But if you can somehow talk me out of going for the stereo approach, give it a shot. I know a bit about recording directly into my laptop, I can get some great tones/mixes. But I'll admit I'm still a novice when it comes to playing live in a small/medium sized venue.

I'm open to ALL suggestions as long as the total cost does not exceed $800.
Our local Craigslist had a pair of used Carvin LS1503 speaker cabinets available for around $300. Couple that with the Carvin HD1500 stereo power amp and you should be able to play a lot of venues in stereo and you're well within your budget. .

Another option: Carvin PM12A speakers are $319 each brand new. These have a 400W RMS amplifier built in, can be put up on stands (or used as wedge monitors). There should be equivalents out there from other sources.

Most stereo effects don't translate well to live use, though they may sound great recorded. Some bands do use them on an occasional basis, however.
Quote by dspellman
Our local Craigslist had a pair of used Carvin LS1503 speaker cabinets available for around $300. Couple that with the Carvin HD1500 stereo power amp and you should be able to play a lot of venues in stereo and you're well within your budget. .

Another option: Carvin PM12A speakers are $319 each brand new. These have a 400W RMS amplifier built in, can be put up on stands (or used as wedge monitors). There should be equivalents out there from other sources.

Most stereo effects don't translate well to live use, though they may sound great recorded. Some bands do use them on an occasional basis, however.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you knew what I meant by "flat," right? I use the cabs within Amplitube, so I need something that is completely flat.

Also, about stereo effects, do you feel the majority of bands try to avoid using stereo effects live? Or they do use them, they just don't sound as good? I've always wondered this, because if someone is sitting way to the right in the audience, I guess it wouldn't really make sense to have stereo effects when they can't really hear what's coming out of the left.

So maybe it would make more sense to just focus on getting one speaker/cab.

Thanks for the feedback
Quote by diabolical
I'd say look at JBL EON610 powered monitor wedges/speakers, Samson also had a decent powered speakers at around $300 each.

Yeah this looks awesome. Portable PA is perfect for what I need because that's what I would run Amplitube into at any size venue any way. I imagine they're basically flat EQ wise.

I'm assuming for a medium sized room or a backyard, it would be best to get two, one on each side?

Thanks
Quote by bbzswa777
Just to make sure we're on the same page, you knew what I meant by "flat," right? I use the cabs within Amplitube, so I need something that is completely flat.

I use modelers with studio monitors like the KRK Rokit 8 and with larger systems like the fEARful 15/6/1 and the fEARless F115. Both of the latter have a 15"LF, a 6.5" mids and a 1" tweeter. All are relatively flat response and full-range frequency response.

Quote by bbzswa777
Also, about stereo effects, do you feel the majority of bands try to avoid using stereo effects live? Or they do use them, they just don't sound as good? I've always wondered this, because if someone is sitting way to the right in the audience, I guess it wouldn't really make sense to have stereo effects when they can't really hear what's coming out of the left.

So maybe it would make more sense to just focus on getting one speaker/cab.

Stereo (and 5:1 and the rest) exist to give a listener in a specific position a feeling of being in the center of a live experience. When applied to the dynamics of a large crowd, stereo begins not to make sense, though I've used a Leslie miked on two sides run through a stereo PA system before. You've noted some of the reasons why. It's still fun to use it at home in your den.

I have to suggest that using a computer-based setup for live performance is also venue-specific. For a bedroom it makes sense. For a huge arena it's okay, since you've got people and backup computers and all that at your disposal. Where it doesn't make sense (to me) is for small/midsize venues from 25 to 1000 people. When you need to get in and out of a venue quickly and easily, complexity, size and weight are your enemies.
Makes sense to me. But one point you brought up:

Quote by dspellman

I have to suggest that using a computer-based setup for live performance is also venue-specific. For a bedroom it makes sense. For a huge arena it's okay, since you've got people and backup computers and all that at your disposal. Where it doesn't make sense (to me) is for small/midsize venues from 25 to 1000 people. When you need to get in and out of a venue quickly and easily, complexity, size and weight are your enemies.

It seems if size and weight is my enemy, using something like Amplitube allows me to carry a laptop instead of a pedalboard, amp, and cab. But I guess you're talking about the speakers or portable PA?

I'm pretty much set on using Amplitube, my laptop is reliable, and I've ordered a MIDI controller that has an expression pedal. But who knows. Maybe while I'm jamming I'll find out you were right! But I hope I don't have any major issues. If I do, I'll remember you warned me.
Quote by bbzswa777
Makes sense to me. But one point you brought up:

It seems if size and weight is my enemy, using something like Amplitube allows me to carry a laptop instead of a pedalboard, amp, and cab. But I guess you're talking about the speakers or portable PA?

I'm pretty much set on using Amplitube, my laptop is reliable, and I've ordered a MIDI controller that has an expression pedal. But who knows. Maybe while I'm jamming I'll find out you were right! But I hope I don't have any major issues. If I do, I'll remember you warned me.

I dunno man, ive had way to many crashes, stutters and freezes while using music software. Its good for home use, and i use plugins to record all of my demos, but i would never trust it live. If nothing else, laptops are prone to overheating, and setting it up in a hot venue with stage lights sounds like a bad idea to me. They are also quite fragile compared to other gear.
Have you considered getting a dedicated modeler like the POD HD500 or Amplifire? Those are way more reliable.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
I dunno man, ive had way to many crashes, stutters and freezes while using music software. Its good for home use, and i use plugins to record all of my demos, but i would never trust it live. If nothing else, laptops are prone to overheating, and setting it up in a hot venue with stage lights sounds like a bad idea to me. They are also quite fragile compared to other gear.
Have you considered getting a dedicated modeler like the POD HD500 or Amplifire? Those are way more reliable.

I have considered getting a modeler. I probably will in the future. But to clarify, I'm going to be playing in a garage and a backyard mostly, 90% of the time just rehearsing and jamming with a couple other people. So it's not like it would be the end of the world if something froze. But the other 10% of the time would actually be performing in backyards and perhaps bars.

Also, using Amplitube on my own, my laptop has never froze or overheated. But I know shit like that seems to happen once you're in a situation where you really don't want it to!
Last edited by bbzswa777 at Jan 6, 2017,