Hi folks

I'm currently making very simple video and audio recordings using my iPhone positioned near my amp but the sound quality is pretty poor.

Before I spend £80 on a condenser mic for the iPhone - is there a better/simpler way that I'm missing? I'd like to record both electric through and amp and acoustic unplugged by the way.

I'm aware I could record the video and audio on the phone and then use audio recorded from a digital interface to overdub the iPhone audio but I'm ideally looking for a solution that doesn't require post-shooting manipulation on a PC.

Cheers!
Thanks Gary but unless I missed it there's nothing in that guide about a mobile/on the fly solution for capturing audio and video all at once without any manipulation via PC?

I'm specifically looking for the most cost effective way of getting a video up online with reasonable quality audio - without the need to go through software.

That's why I was looking at this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GZKOB7C/ref=pd_gwm_simh_1?pf_rd_p=de8effd6-3a25-4e43-82ba-7b5108b051cd&pf_rd_s=blackjack-personal-1&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=6VX7MYNQNV3DSJGXMY0A&pf_rd_r=6VX7MYNQNV3DSJGXMY0A&pf_rd_p=de8effd6-3a25-4e43-82ba-7b5108b051cd

Basically when plugged in it just replaced the iPhone mic when shooting video. I just don't know if it's enough of an upgrade over the in built iPhone mic to justify the cost.

I also have a MacBook and the same thing applies - the video is decent through the webcam but the audio sucks. If there's a decent way of improving that so that audio and video can be captured without the need for further manipulation/syncing then I'd like to hear it!
Last edited by BRISTOL86 at Jan 3, 2017,
Quote by diabolical
Zoom Q2n or higher by Zoom - depends on the model, they have built in mics and options to attach external mics.

Are the mics better than the likes of what I posss above? As the video capability of the iPhone is more than sufficient, so id be loath to spend that kind of money if I'm mostly paying for a video camera....?
I'm sure the mics are better than the iphone but maybe that is not enough of a justification.

You could possibly look for mic interface for the phone itself, maybe something like this:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpre/
or this:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iklipav/

I am sure there other options on this, I remember Mackie had a board which iphone snapped on to. Not sure how the apps in the iphone will sort this out though as you need audio/video capabilities at the same time. The IKLIPAV above looks like it might be the one to work with a tripod attachment.
Quote by BRISTOL86
Thanks Gary but unless I missed it there's nothing in that guide about a mobile/on the fly solution for capturing audio and video all at once without any manipulation via PC?

I guess it depends how fussy you are about the sound quality. If you only want something marginally better than your iPhone, to be honest I wouldn't bother. A friend has one of the Zoom sound & video recorders (unsure what exact model), and he doesn't get anything better than I get with my phone. I have a Samsung though, which is obviously better than an iPhone (shitstorm incoming...!!!).

Think about your goals. If you want to make decent quality videos for posting online, you're going to need to do some software manipulation & if they're music based, recording the sound separately will get you the best results. If you just want something quick & easy and you aren't worried about decent quality, you already have it with your phone.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The Zoom devices have line input so that could feed a small mixer with guitar miked into it and the backing track, or say DAW running guitarsoftware and backing track. It can generate better on the fly results than iPhone if you know what you're doing.
Thanks guys. I guess the issue is I have different short and long term goals and I was looking for a catch all solution....which I don't think exists.

For the short term I wanted a quick and dirty solution for practice videos/instagram videos with half decent sound. I think I'll just stick to the iPhone solution for this and just experiment with placement / volume levels.

For the longer term I want a high quality audio recording with video being the secondary priority. This is where I'm going to have to go down the road of a digital interface and 'syncing up' audio and video, I guess.

Thanks for your help!
Recording video on iphone and udio in DAW at the same time is not so complicated.
Get a cheap but nice audio interface like TC Electronic and remember to bounce recorded audio from your DAW as 48 kHz sample rate file. Then import this file into your video editor and sync with video file audio. Then turn down video volume to 0 and leave only DAW audio at 100% level

I wrote how I do it here: http://50shadesofguitar.weebly.com/blog/practice-to-perform-music
I am not sure why the bounced audio has to be 48khz, it really depends on the video editor. Mine usually does best at 44.1/16bit wav files but can import and convert all wav as needed. The video is a bit more tedious, if I take a vid with my phone I have to convert it to other than mp4 file as for some reason the video editor doesn't like mp4 files going in, even though it can create mp4 going out. I am using Vegas Video's lite version - Sony Movie Studio 13.
Quote by diabolical
I am not sure why the bounced audio has to be 48khz, it really depends on the video editor. Mine usually does best at 44.1/16bit wav files but can import and convert all wav as needed. The video is a bit more tedious, if I take a vid with my phone I have to convert it to other than mp4 file as for some reason the video editor doesn't like mp4 files going in, even though it can create mp4 going out. I am using Vegas Video's lite version - Sony Movie Studio 13.

Just to be careful, I had issues with sound and picture sync in Imovie when the wav was not 48 kHz, never had issue with imported videos format