I had the opportunity to have at home for 2 weeks an ESP LTD EX-50, an esp LTD EC-401 and an LTD EC-1000 (I have a Jackson RR5)
The EX-50 with stock pickups; EC-401 with EMG 81/61 and the EC-1000 with Seymour Duncans Distortion/Jazz. I played a lot of Metallica to compare their sound. I was very suprised!! It has now become clear to me how much the internet guitarist are STUPID and let themselves be driven by marketing and psychological factors.

The ESP Designed LH-150 pickups do not have as much output, but are hot enough to make a good sound; I'm a room player only, no gigs (A LOT of internet guitar players are like that, maybe the majority), so they sounded pretty good for this kind of goal. About the tone aspect, I can say that they are on the same level or better!!
It sounds like a passive kinda EMG, but much more balanced the EMG HZ. Compared to EMG, it sounds much more organic: EMG souned like a plastic heap in comparison. The SD has more clarity, but the sound is more strident, dry and irritating.

Now I see how some (some!) stocks are great and how much bullshit internet guitarrists talk. They get carried away by marketing, by others and by prejudices that will modulate their auditory perception. People spend a lot of money to swap pickups, and then the difference is insignificant, sometimes it's for the worse, but they need to justify their mistake by defending and glorifying their EMG's or Duncans like religion extremists... Youtube is full of blind tests showing experienced guitarist confusing cheap guitars with custom and expensive pickups with stock. Psychology! Placebo!

Anyone who disagrees, record an excerpt with an ESP LH-150 comparing with an EMG / Seymour / DiMarzio etc...

WAKE UP!!!
Last edited by ABSilva at Jan 3, 2017,
ok

But how am I supposed to get the approval of my peers if none of my guitar's pickups had Bareknuckle on them?

Checkmate atheists.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Stupid thread is stupid.
Most moderators will lock "vs" type threads.
Pickups are a personal preference, and their usefulness depends on a wide variety of factors including amps used, music attempted, the guitar they inhabit and more.

I rarely swap pickups, and certainly never for no good reason.
Peers: "Are not you going to swap the stocks? Shame on you, shame ... shaME ... SHAME!!

*turn their back, take a quick look with contempt for you, and walk away... just their silhouette, the street and the sun...
It's not stupid, it's something that happens a lot and a few has the balls to talk about it...This needs to be discussed, especially thinking about young guitarists who fall into this trap easily
Let's face it though; you haven't posed your question with any real intelligence.

It is true that people, (younger people especially) are impressionable to marketing. But generalizing that the difference new pickups make as being insignificant would be totally wrong to assert. It's too subjective and in a lot of cases, simply isn't true. Ironically, making such an assertion in a sensationalist manner isn't much different from the fanaticism of the so-called 'religious extremists' you're condemning

Nothing to see here.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee