As the title says, I am torn between the Bugera V5 Infinium and the Hayden Lil' Mofo 2.

The only purpose of this amp will be to test guitar FX/have some amp at home, so I need a good clean tone that will compliment pedals.

Also, I have no idea if I am better off buying the 8 inch speaker combos or spending the rest of the money on a 12 inch Celestion and building my own cab.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
depends on how good you are at building a cab, i guess. assuming you know what you're doing, and assuming it's one of the good celestions, that's likely to be a better plan than an 8 inch speaker.

i haven't tried either of those two amps. what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Find a used Epi Valve Jr. The stock 8" speaker will be fine for your stated purpose. (decent tone, dirt cheap)
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Guitar0player
Dave_Mc

The cheapest.

haha ok

the valve junior (as cajundaddy said) is actually pretty decent for a pedal platform if you can still find one. they're a bit dark stock but that can work to your advantage with pedals. the v3 version had all of the problems fixed, so I'd try to get one of those (i think on the wikipedia page about the valve junior it tells you exactly what the serial number has to be to be a V3).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could always get something like a Pro Junior. It has a decent clean tone and has a 10 inch speaker built in. The Bassbreaker 007 is pretty cool if you want something with more gain and voiced a bit more Marshallish.

If you can find something like a used Peavey Classic 30 they are decent amps and tend to be pretty cheap used. The combos also comes with a 12 inch speaker. They made a Classic 20 combo too but those are harder to come by.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ agreed (i haven't tried the bassbreaker), if he's willing to stretch. I'm guessing he's not, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id love to get the Valve Jr. But its price including shipment and import charges makes it twice as expensive as the Bugera head.
I found a vintage Teisco tube amp for the same price as the Valve Jr. No brainer?
Consider the Quilter 101: SS, not tube, but a viable alternative.

@$300 new, $250 used. Has headphone jack. Takes pedals well.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Guitar0player
I found a vintage Teisco tube amp for the same price as the Valve Jr. No brainer?

No Teisco amp. The Checkmate 17 was ok but a Valve Jr sounds better to me.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 4, 2017,
Vj with a JJ tube change will be hard to beat on a budget. Eq should probably be your first purchase after that.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Jan 4, 2017,
As I said, I cant get the valve jr cos shipping is a bitch. The rest of the amps suggested are either imports too or simply too expensive.
The used sections here are useless honestly, and when they arent they are still expensive as hell. Most amps mentioned dont exist in stores and those that are cost roughly twice as much due to customs, import charges yada yada.

So I am currently torn between the Micro Terror, the Lil' Mofo and the Bugera.
Why a Micro Terror? Those aren't really clean amps and probably don't have enough headroom for you to use it as a clean platform for pedals. If you really had to chose between those 3 amps then I would probably go with the Bugera. The Bugera sounds decent clean and at least has a proper power tube instead of using a preamp tube for the power section like the Hayden does. A little class A 5 watt EL84 amp isn't a bad layout and IMO is probably the best option given those choices.

Keep in mind that Bugera is kind of known for reliability issues but mostly on older amps and mostly in the amp clone range (1960, 1990, 333, 6262) and I personally haven't heard many issues with the V series.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I think i Found a winner. What do you guys think of the VHT Special 6 combo? My price range.
From what I remember its a modified champ circuit of some sort. Never really had an opportunity to play one personally.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I dunno, VHT have a good rep and it seems to have all I need. Plus a decent 10' speaker.
Quote by Guitar0player
I dunno, VHT have a good rep and it seems to have all I need. Plus a decent 10' speaker.

You have to keep in mind these newer VHTs aren't the same thing as the older VHT/Fryette amps so be sure the reviews you are reading are more recent ones.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You have to keep in mind these newer VHTs aren't the same thing as the older VHT/Fryette amps so be sure the reviews you are reading are more recent ones.

This is a post boutique amp, it's not "the same" VHT amp all together. From the reviews I've seen it's a good amp, there was only one review where the owner said the amp went up in smoke twice.
Quote by Guitar0player
I think i Found a winner. What do you guys think of the VHT Special 6 combo? My price range.

yeah i have one

it's a modified champ, as H4T3BR33D3R said. i think it doesn't have negative feedback, and the boost switch makes it sound tweedier.

it's actually one of the nicer cheap tube amps (i haven't tried anywhere close to all of them, but out of the ones i've tried, it's probably the best-sounding out-of-the-box budget all-tube 5 watter), however as with most things which are cheap, there are some caveats.

- QC is a little spotty. My first one was faulty, and I've heard of other people having problems too.

- it's a little dark-sounding, stock (at least if you want sparkly fendery cleans). it has a fixed tone stack with slightly weird values. it was designed to be easy to mod, but still. easy to mod is one thing, but necessitating mods is another. i'd say, though, that with judicious speaker choice, i can get it as bright as i need (either a jensen c10q in the amp, or an eminence legend 1258 in a 1x12 cab i have).

- in its stock combo form with the little 10 inch speaker, I'm not sure it'd be my first choice for a (dirt) pedal platform amp. it can be a bit tinny, especially with the stock speaker. I've tried two other speakers in it (eminence copperhead and jensen c10q) and neither really helped the dirt-pedal performance appreciably. Now, admittedly I was deliberately using speakers to accentuate the sparkly cleans (which tends to make dirt pedals sound spikier), so that's worth bearing in mind- there may well be 10" speakers which will handle dirt pedals a lot better.

- while it does sound good, you can sort of tell corners have been cut. it doesn't sound as good as more expensive amps which were built up to a quality level rather than down to a price (don't get me wrong, it does sound good, at least IMO).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 5, 2017,
Hope you do a new amp thread!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Guitar0player
So in other words, the VHT is the winner.

yeah probably
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?