Currently I have a Vox DA15, I play a Strat.

The music style goes from contemporary surf to stoner rock and drone metal.

My pedals are mainly a Big Muff, an MXR badass overdrive and a TC Electronics Dark Matter; along with some other minor ones.

My price range is ideally, under $600, and I would like to go tube.

Cabinet or Combo.

I do and will be gigging out in local venues with a drummer. Our band is a two piece for now.

My location is Northern Kentucky/ Downtown Cincinnati.

Any other info, let me know.

All help and advice is appreciated!
do you play more of the heavier stuff or more of the light? or a pretty even mixture?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pretty even mixture.

It tends to be one of three; light into a heavy crescendo/jam, Heavy open to heavy close, or heavy open to a light taper off.

I'm leaning towards a custom Avatar cabinet, but I'm confused as the cab section has a G2x12 but there is only one option for speaker selection.

Where as the single 1X12 cabs have 2 speaker options.
thanks

just to check, do you realise that with a cabinet you need a head as well? i'm not sure you'll be able to get something under budget if you go the separate head/cabinet route (at least new).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey,

Yeah, I'm debating it still.

But I've been given the impression by a reliable friend who works the board at local shows, that a good cabinet + a bad head is preferable, as the speakers will sound nice.

And it will give you time to save up and get an adequate head.

So, if I go with the Avatar cab, I'll grab a low end Fender 100 amp or something similar, and then upgrade to a better head when I am able.

Other than that, I'm still very much open to suggestions and advice.

I need something for surf rock / stoner drone metal / and standard shoegaze aka new age dream pop trash.

Thanks so far!
yeah... i dunno. i agree that speakers (and the cabinet) are super-important, but i'm not sure I'd want to have a bad amp with good speakers. I'd say that bad speakers/cabinet can make you think you have a bad amp, but i'm not sure that good speakers would make a bad amp seem good, either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah... i dunno. i agree that speakers (and the cabinet) are super-important, but i'm not sure I'd want to have a bad amp with good speakers. I'd say that bad speakers/cabinet can make you think you have a bad amp, but i'm not sure that good speakers would make a bad amp seem good, either.

This. I don't think you should listen to that guy anymore.
I mean to say, preferable when on a budget.

That, given the choice, it's better to have good speakers first; if the choice is between speakers or head to being with.

Again, the avatar cab is an option. And if I take that option, I'll need to save up more money for a head, so I would have a bad amp in this case, for a time.

The other option is that someone here, or I on my own, find a different amp (cab or combo whatever) that fits the bill.
Quote by landanhoffman

That, given the choice, it's better to have good speakers first; if the choice is between speakers or head to being with.

Again, the avatar cab is an option. And if I take that option, I'll need to save up more money for a head, so I would have a bad amp in this case, for a time.

The other option is that someone here, or I on my own, find a different amp (cab or combo whatever) that fits the bill.

a good speaker won't help much with a crap amp. speaker can only reproduce what is put into it. used will get you further and at that budget a combo amp may be a better bet.
Valve Jr will barely do the job unless mic'd. Tube change to jj's and an eq will solve the rest. I have the version 3 of both head/cab and combo. Don't bother with the combo. The 12" cab is miles ahead of the combo unit. With pedals and effects this is a great amp and IMO better then most as practice options. Been using this setup for 10 years and have no intention of changing iit. I've got 4 other amps that never get used.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
orange tiny terror and mic it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by landanhoffman
Currently I have a Vox DA15, I play a Strat.

The music style goes from contemporary surf to stoner rock and drone metal.

My pedals are mainly a Big Muff, an MXR badass overdrive and a TC Electronics Dark Matter; along with some other minor ones.

My price range is ideally, under $600, and I would like to go tube.

Cabinet or Combo.

I do and will be gigging out in local venues with a drummer. Our band is a two piece for now.

My location is Northern Kentucky/ Downtown Cincinnati.

Any other info, let me know.

All help and advice is appreciated!

Peavey JSX: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guitar-Amplifiers.gc?Ntt=peavey%20jsx&Ns=r
+2
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by landanhoffman

yeah. i mean it's a judgment call, really. i guess you could argue your way; i guess you could also argue for buying a good head with a poor cab and then you could upgrade the cab later which is pretty much the same as what you're suggesting, except the opposite way round.

i guess the big thing is how long it takes you to save up for the second thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I recommend to you the M4K Stuffed Thing. With it, you’re getting a full P.A. system and two incredibly loud boxes. From the name itself, you can use one without the other without sacrificing any sound.
dont sleep on a used peavey vypyr tube 60.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
You should listen to Dave_Mc and avoid getting a cab. You can buy the best cab in the world but if later you buy an amp that requires different speakers then the ones found in your cab you would be wasting money. Get a decent amp with a budget speaker and upgrade the speakers when you can afford. This way the speakers will match and enhance the amp's tone. If you try to buy an amp that matches to a cab you would really limit yourself and make the process of buying an amp from a joyful endeavour to a frustrating job.

Marshall DSL are great amps but not sure they are within your budget.

Trashedlostfdup suggested orange tiny terror. Great little amps!
^ that's a very good point about matching the cab to the amp, i forgot about that. that probably is the better way round to do it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?