I've been thinking of purchasing a guitar with a Floyd Rose on Amazon or from the company's website. Will the Floyd come with a crappy setup? Will it get damaged in the box?Thanks
Quote by lukethrash7506
I've been thinking of purchasing a guitar with a Floyd Rose on Amazon or from the company's website. Will the Floyd come with a crappy setup? Will it get damaged in the box?Thanks

Can you be specific? Like, you talking about a Floyd Rose guitar, or a guitar with a Floyd Rose?
And do you mean a real Floyd, or a guitar with a licensed Floyd?
Basically, tell us what guitar in particular you're speaking of.
Also, most guitars come with a "crappy setup". I've never ever ever never bought a guitar that I didn't have to do a setup on.
Last edited by Diatribes at Jan 3, 2017,
Quote by Diatribes
Can you be specific? Like, you talking about a Floyd Rose guitar, or a guitar with a Floyd Rose?
And do you mean a real Floyd, or a guitar with a licensed Floyd?
Basically, tell us what guitar in particular you're speaking of.
Also, most guitars come with a "crappy setup". I've never ever ever never bought a guitar that I didn't have to do a setup on.

agree. we need more info. it will likely not be setup very well as Amazon isn't a music shop. however it comes from the manufacturer is how it will be. cheaper guitars tend to not have much done to them from the factory. as for shipping there is always a chance of damage no matter how well packed.
Diatribes I was thinking a dean custom 550 floyd, there is nothing else with those specs in that price range. 24 frets, 25 and 1/2 in scale length, emgs, floyd rose 1000 bridge
Those look ok to me. Upgraded saddles on the Floyd would pretty much give you an OFR. I would pretty much guarantee it won't come set up as you would prefer. Who knows maybe it would. Dice roll. Not the end of the world. I always do my own setups so...
As with shipping, you run the same chance as anything that gets shipped. Dice roll.

Personally, I'd find one second hand. I don't ever buy new anything.
Last edited by Diatribes at Jan 4, 2017,
How it arrives depends on if Amazon is selling it directly or is operating as a clearing house for a 3rd party vendor or manufacturer. I was looking for a particular limited edition Fernandes guitar and Amazon had one of the last new ones still on the market. As it turns out, the actual seller was Fernandes itself.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Diatribes
I would pretty much guarantee it won't come set up as you would prefer. Who knows maybe it would. Dice roll.
As with shipping, you run the same chance as anything that gets shipped. Dice roll.

Yep, pretty much. I mean, I appreciate that if you have little or no experience with ordering stuff online, that it's nice to ask other people what their experiences are, but with stuff like that it very much depends on your individual experience, which none of us can tell you until it happens. It doesn't matter if 100 previous customers got a good guitar from amazon which turned up undamaged by the courier- yours could still get damaged. Of course, if most people are saying it was fine it's more likely to be ok, but it's never certain unfortunately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
I find that most people tend to make reviews based on bad experiences. People happy with purchase are usually enamored and do t think about reviews, where a bad experience tends to inspire a need to tell others and vent.
If a product has a lot of good reviews, I'd be more inclined towards it
Quote by Diatribes
Dave_Mc
I find that most people tend to make reviews based on bad experiences. People happy with purchase are usually enamored and do t think about reviews, where a bad experience tends to inspire a need to tell others and vent.

Absolutely or good reviews that are made by giddy kids without much playing experience that are stoked because they got a new guitar that tend to say "this guitar is awesome perfect for anything I want to play!" Which is normally some metal cover tunes played through a Line 6 Spyder _________(insert model number)

I write positive reviews and have been playing off and on since the mid '80s I do however list the pros and cons of their are any.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Diatribes
Dave_Mc

I'll do my usual sitting on the fence here...

I agree that reviews definitely don't give you that great of an idea (except, for example, if a fault seems to keep cropping up in reviews, then it's worth paying attention)- but I think they're polarised rather than solely being more made by people with bad experiences. I'd say they're mostly either made by people with bad experiences (as you said) and also by fanboys (so I'd be wary of too-positive reviews as well). I'd say the people who are missing from reviews are probably the people who think the gear is just ok, or which is decent but not amazing. I'm not saying none of those people write reviews, but there's not as much of an incentive to do it (you're not really recommending it, nor are you warning people off/getting your own back for being (as far as they're concerned) ripped off) so I suspect far fewer of them do so, which will skew things.

Also a lot of reviews are written by quite new players (especially for beginner gear) so I'd tend to be very wary of them as well. EDIT: As Evilnine rightly said.

Also you gotta watch out for fake reviews
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 6, 2017,