Page 1 of 2
A quick search has yielded no other topics on the subject in the past few years, so I propose to you, the almighty Pit, a thread to ask questions and to share personal experiences about the autism spectrum. As far as questions go, as far as I'm concerned as long as it is a legitimate question and not meant as an insult, I will not be offended and will try to answer as best as I can, in other words don't be afraid to be politically incorrect in your search for knowledge. I suppose I will start the thread off with a few bullet point from my experience.

1) I am in no means a savant, I have a few interests in which I am somewhat knowledgeable about, but I am in no means a genius in any field.

2) Due to me being formally diagnosed well into adulthood I was raised "normal" and as such have adopted coping/masking methods which hide the outward manifestations of Asperger's (bonus fact, I often avoid saying asperger's because I have the sense of humor of a child).

3) Because of the coping/masking strategies I am married and have a full time job and live a "normal" life. One major caveat of that is it is very exhausting keeping up with the social demands of others who require far more socialization than I can provide. And despite them I do experience the symptoms of Asperger's on a daily basis.

4) I personally hate the terms "aspie" and "neurotypical".

5) I'm not a special snowflake looking for attention. Including my (somewhat large Catholic) family I can count on my hands the number of people I've told, and will likely not tell anyone else in the near future.

6) I've never used my condition as an excuse for my behavior. I have, privately used it as a way to partially explain, not excuse, some personality traits.

Well, I suppose there's a few points to start things out, so I leave it to you to ask away, or share your stories (or ignore and let this thread die an honorable death)
And despite them I do experience the symptoms of Asperger's on a daily basis.

I really like how you put that
even the pseudoscientists have stopped diagnosing people with Asperger's now. anyway

because of my failure to understand or be aware of the many social rituals and doctrines that I was expected to follow (but which were never explained to me), and the social exclusion, bullying, and isolation that followed as a result during my developmental years, I am unable to feel empathy for real humans, and can only experience it through mediations such as film and comic books, and for non-human animals

fitting with the autism stereotype, I am a total fucking nerd about a few choice subjects

Anyway I do have a sort of question: why do you keep up with these social demands as much as you do?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal

Anyway I do have a sort of question: why do you keep up with these social demands as much as you do?

Mostly work related, I work with quite a few people in my department, and some customers, so I do have to engage in some amount of socialization. If they're people I don't like (not necessarily meaning any negative feelings towards, just no rapport with them) and they try to engage in bullshit small talk I find it hard to muster up single word responses to their observations about the weather, if I have to I stop responding all together. Usually they don't get the hint and keep talking, but at that point it's almost amusing.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Although people sometimes do call it Asparagus.

I never knew that was a real thing, I've been known to use that term as well.
It's still an outrage that my "Are you an aspie" thread got locked

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
My little sister has autism. Helping her with her homework sucked ass. Teaches you patience.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
One of my best friends is autistic and it used to be really glaringly obvious but now they seem like a reasonably functional member of society
I have nothing important to say
Hey guys

we're forgetting our ol pal martin mcgoo

he should be here

the right blode for you
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Axel fox has Aspergers.when he was young people used to pour glue in his hair and such.There are girls in the spectrum.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Hi.

I'm used to most social shit now, but I still can't read some emotions so well, and I suck at detecting sarcasm/jokingness.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Feels weird that there are actually a lot of UGers on here who fall on the spectrum

da more u kno
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
Feels weird that there are actually a lot of UGers on here who fall on the spectrum

Does it really?

Really?

Quote by ErikLensherr

yo, i made a vaccination thread.

it's all the vaccines' fault.

my only experience with autism/aspergers was with my friend in high school who had mild autism and another kid there with aspergers.

idk enough about either tho.

the aspergers kid once charged at me in a hallway like he was gonna tackle me, stopped short right before he would have hit me, then held his fist up to my head and said "you know i wouldn't"

my mom was an assistant in a special needs pre school/pre k for a while.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by zgr0826
Does it really?

Really?

Yeah it does

y u question me boi
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Quote by EpiExplorer
Yeah it does

y u question me boi

Because I wasn't sure if you were being serious

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
Because I wasn't sure if you were being serious

I'm always srs bbe

except when I'm not
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Quote by EpiExplorer
I'm always srs bbe

except when I'm not

Quote by ErikLensherr

I was diagnosed 14 years ago when I was 10. Good portion of my childhood was hellish due to lack of understanding from teachers and classmates. Developed a shit-tonne of coping strategies and basically learned how to be "normal" through my teenage years and now I'm pretty comfortable in most social situations, although the more time spent with me the more you see my symptoms show through.
I had an ASD student in one of my classes this fall.
very smart, but could not read social cues -- could come off as very blunt and (sorry) annoying, and had a kind of antagonistic relationship with a group of more sociable people in class.
Quote by WhiteStripesIII
Developed a shit-tonne of coping strategies and basically learned how to be "normal" through my teenage years and now I'm pretty comfortable in most social situations, although the more time spent with me the more you see my symptoms show through.

Basically me except the diagnosis part. People who I hang with the most obviously see more and more of the real you, cause you can't mask your tendencies 24/7, or you stop masking all together around close friends and loved ones......cause that shit is exhausting.

The worst part is being absolutely 100% aware. I'd love to just be blissfully ignorant and just walk through life thinking I'm perfectly normal. Thank God I found my fiancé (soon-to-be Wife by the end of the month ), and she loves and excepts me for who I am, cause I'm pretty sure I'd die alone otherwise
Quote by theogonia777
Axel fox has Aspergers.when he was young people used to pour glue in his hair and such.There are girls in the spectrum.

lel

I met a friend of a friend who has severe autism. They had absolutely no regard for personal space. The first time I said hi to them, they walked up to me, stopping within 3 centimeters of my face, gawked at me, and loudly said hi. This guy was 6"5 as well. Scared the shit out of me.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
lel

I met a friend of a friend who has severe autism. They had absolutely no regard for personal space. The first time I said hi to them, they walked up to me, stopping within 3 centimeters of my face, gawked at me, and loudly said hi. This guy was 6"5 as well. Scared the shit out of me.
Just be honest then and say so. Autism results in extreme bluntness, and sometime requires extreme bluntness to counter it effectively. Most normal people say something weird or rude to others, we just kind of ignore them and not give it attention. With autism or Aspergers, you need to challenge it directly and be blunt by that. Simple example: "What do you mean by that?" Challenge the mentality and encourage them to socialize and rationalize they're behavior. It's like practicing and auto-correcting their behavior. Be persistent, but consistent.
Quote by bdof
Just be honest then and say so. Autism results in extreme bluntness, and sometime requires extreme bluntness to counter it effectively. Most normal people say something weird or rude to others, we just kind of ignore them and not give it attention. With autism or Aspergers, you need to challenge it directly and be blunt by that. Simple example: "What do you mean by that?" Challenge the mentality and encourage them to socialize and rationalize they're behavior. It's like practicing and auto-correcting their behavior. Be persistent, but consistent.

I'm not his parents.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I feel sorry for my wife sometimes because she has to put up with all my autist eccentricities.

Quote by ErikLensherr

I got an informal diagnosis when I was 11 or so for Asperger's. I've never gone back and gotten the formal diagnosis (which would be clumped in on the Autism Spectrum these days), but if I failed to rank sufficiently high, I'd be shocked. That said, my daughter has been formally diagnosed with Autism, and we've got some ongoing therapies, which I get a reflective view on some of her behaviors.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
the biggest issue my friends and i had with our one autistic friend was he was also a scumbag and people would try to excuse his scumbag tendencies by chalking it up to autism.

dude liked to steal lighters, skim off the top of bags of weed, and mooch money/cigs any chance he got.

also he once woke me up by burning my face with a cigarette.

I don't think that's autism, that's just being a dickhead.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by EpiExplorer

da more u kno

After seeing all the posts in that insane asylum / mental hospital thread, I'm not surprised at all that a large number of posters in The Pit have mental issues.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

One of my friends from high school has a son with autism, he built this custom truck complete with the puzzle pieces as well as some popular childrens cartoon characters, he takes it to car showsand wins prizeswith it. He also helps organise car shows and other events to benefit autism awareness he donates any money that is raised.

Despite his tireless campaigning and fighting to raise awareness for autism he himself has been battleing cancer, he is a strong person.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

there is a spectrum haunting europe--a spectrum called autism
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
Evilnine
the fact that the truck is lowered is a bit unfortunate, but otherwise
I have to admit that I too have Aspergers. I wasn't diagnosed until about 5 years ago and spent most of my life knowing something was very wrong, but not understanding why until I happened to find a description of someone with Aspergers by accident and then I knew I had it. I don't fit in anywhere and I guess never will.

I reached a breaking point in my life around 2009 where I could no longer cover up my unusual behavior or try to fit in with what other people were expecting of me. I'm 40 now and I just basically have isolated myself from the world, because that is the only thing I can do to cope and find some kind of balance and stability in my life. I'm much happier with just me and my guitar and no longer having to force myself into such horribly problematic social or work environments that have led to a lot of problems for me in the past. It was a hard battle with the disability benefits system for them to recognize that I just couldn't cope with any basic form of work. Some people with Aspergers can live a fairly normal existence, but that is far from what I am.

I have struggled to try and explain Aspergers to other people and why looking normal on the outside doesn't mean everything is ok on the inside. I don't know why I am this way, but I just am.
Maybe it's other people expecting things of other people that's the problem, and not being autistic.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Maybe it's other people expecting things of other people that's the problem, and not being autistic.

Are you referring to what I said?

When I say expecting of me, I mean what would be considered as normal, acceptable behavior in any typical social situation. That isn't me.
I know we have never met, but you would understand how different I am if you did. I was formally diagnosed in 2011 with Aspergers Syndrome. I do find that very few people can understand what its like to have Aspergers without ever having experienced it for themselves. I understand.

If you weren't referring to me, then...nevermind.
I was sort of referring to you but I genuinely think that people have developed an attitude of entitlement to comfort qua normality. I find it hard not to say to a person who expects something of me, especially in this superficial sense, "and why should I deliver"? There's no good reason not to other than their perverse desire for comfort or control.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
does blode even post anymore
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Don't have anything really meaningful to add here as I don't know anyone with this, nor do I have it myself, but this was kind of a big thing in English sport over the past couple of days

- Harry Arter (footballer) had a stillborn daughter
- Harry Arter played in football match last night
- Non league footballer tweeted this:

- Media/twitter went apeshit
- Now turns out the guy has "ADHD and a mild form of autism" and is clearly really sorry and regretful

Alfie Barker – who went to The Barclay School – mocked AFC Bournemouth player Harry Arter over his stillborn daughter after Arsenal came back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 with the Cherries last night.

Barker – who had his player registration terminated with immediate effect this lunchtime by parent club Hitchin Town while on loan at Codicote FC – tweeted Arter twice, first saying: “At least you didn’t lose your kid.”

The 18-year-old then added: “Big hype just for a disappointment like the nine months leading up to your child’s birth.”

After his comments were widely criticised, Barker deleted the tweets and apologised this morning.

However, the Comet tracked down the youngster – who has lived with ADHD and a mild form of autism since being diagnosed at Pinehill Hospital in Hitchin five years ago and is on medication called Concerta XL to combat the symptoms.

He said: “I am just so sorry about what I have done.

“I’m not a horrible person. My aunt Stacey Hunt has actually had two miscarriages in the last five years, and I am distraught about upsetting her as well as my family – and of course Harry Arter and his family.

“I was watching Arsenal at home last night and I was hyper. At 3-0 down they weren’t playing well and I was annoyed.

“I’d had a couple of beers and was frustrated at the way the team was playing and I just lashed out. I have no idea why I focused on Harry Arter and his family and I am so, so sorry for what I have done.

“It was a moment of madness.

“I have no social skills. I have no filter between my mouth and my brain. I work every day and I have spent the whole day trying to understand why I did what I did.

“I would like to meet Harry Arter face to face to apologise for my inexplicable actions. I cannot justify in any way, shape or form what I did but I would like to say sorry. I would like to write a letter to Harry saying sorry too. I feel like the worst person in the world today.

“It’s the worst thing I’ve ever done in my life, but it is so out of character. I honestly don’t know why I did it.”

Barker could still face action from the FA, who are investigating – with an FA spokesman saying they will be seeking the individual’s observations in relation to his social media posts. He will have seven days, starting tomorrow, to respond.

Barker, who is a carpenter, added that he was happy to undertake any form of sanction football’s governing body may impose, including social media training or educating young footballers not to make the same mistake he did.

“My brain was muddled and I deeply regret my actions,” he said.

“I am happy to commit to any social media educational or awareness schemes the FA have, as well as speaking with youngsters about the dangers of social media.

“I don’t want to be known as the player who trolled Harry Arter. I am devastated that I have made my family ashamed of me and I take full responsibility.

“I also completely understand why Hitchin Town took the action they did and I completely agree they did the right thing.

“I knew I had done something really wrong when I looked at my phone this morning. I will not be using social media again.”

Alfie’s father Danny Barker added: “I’ve given him the tongue-lashing of his life. I can’t believe he’s been so stupid.

“It’s completely out of character. He’s a good lad really, he just didn’t think about what he was doing.

“He’s got the greatest of respect for Harry Arter and all professional footballers and didn’t mean a word of what he wrote – we apologise unreservedly for any distress Alfie has caused Harry Arter and his family.

“We also hope a moment of madness hasn’t cost Alfie his future in football as he’s a good kid who made a terrible error.

“He had a couple of beers watching the game last night and has just lashed out without engaging his brain. Football is his life, he’s had a ball in his cot from before he can walk and it’s all he knows. I can’t believe he’s been so stupid.

“He’s scored 30 goals this season yet he’s gone from hero to zero in the space of two idiotic tweets – but he’s not an Adam Johnson and I just hope Harry Arter accepts our genuine and heartfelt apologies and we can move on.”

A spokesman for Hitchin Town said: “The club adopts a responsible approach to social media and would expect any player connected to Hitchin Town to do likewise. In the light of the player’s irresponsible and anti-social behaviour, we are terminating Alfie Barker’s registration and relationship with the club with immediate effect.

“Hitchin Town, as a community club with established links with various segments of the public, has been a long-time user of social media channels and expects all club stakeholders to use them appropriately.”

AFC Bournemouth and Harry Arter declined to comment.

maybe some of what he said is relatable here (or maybe not and this post is pointless )
Last edited by sam b at Jan 4, 2017,
Page 1 of 2