I saw a few really decent reviews of the BOSS Katana series amps and am 90% sure I am going to get the Katana 100. They are out of stock at Guitar Center, Musicians Friend and Sweetwater so I have some time. Has anyone bought one? What do you think? I am currently using a VOX VT 40 and a VOX VT 30 both of which I gig with usually using a mic through the PA (not for volume but for balance). I am not unhappy with the VOX amps at all but I want the 12" speaker rather than the VOX 10" and better cleans with a little more bottom. It sounds like the Katana's have good cleans and overdrives. Any thoughts would be appreciated. The gigs I play are in smaller rooms where space is always an issue so small sized amps are a must.

P.S. Almost all my guitars have humbuckers.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 4, 2017,
I just picked up a 100w 112 combo and loving it!

This is to jam at home/practise with band and since I've never heard or owned VOX amps I cannot compare but damn this has some good cleans and it can go very very loud. Haven't had enough time with it but apparently it takes pedals really well, has a fx loop and the software is quite good which opens up all the features.

Very responsive and sensitive to the touch, all I can say so far is that is not a modelling amp but something new to try recreate tube sound/feel and for the money it's a no brainer.

I was deciding between the katana and 6505+ 60w 112 combo but the peavy wouldn't have the versatility I want and also it was out of my budget.

There's a great thread regarding these amps on here:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/
I'm interested in this one too. It looks less complicated than a lot of other modeling amps and it might be nice on stage to able to run the acoustic and the electric into the same place.
Death to Ovation haters!
Every time I play I'm more impressed and puts a smile on my face. Finger picking on this is a lot of fun, great sound and great response to the touch, if you're sloppy it will pick it up

Quote by diabolical
I test drove one at GC...meh...For the price I guess it is a good deal, definitely better than what else is being sold at that price and wattage.

What style music do you play? What didn't cut it for you?

Quote by PatchworkMan
I'm interested in this one too. It looks less complicated than a lot of other modelling amps and it might be nice on stage to able to run the acoustic and the electric into the same place.

I tried out the acoustic amp on this and was extremely impressed, personally I though it was going to sound like ass like most amps that have one inbuilt but damn was I wrong. The only "bad" things I can find with this amp are the small limitations you have with the effects as you can only run certain ones at once but honestly that is nitpicking, great sound from just a few pedals.

Quote by Gab_Azz
I would get a tube amp. Maybe I'm getting old.

Trust me, after you hear this thing you will not be lugging those tube amps around anymore, your high end gear can stay home nice and safe. This is 15kg, somewhat compact and comes 90% to a tube amp for a excellent price. Mind you, here in New Zealand these are $480USD and I still consider this a great buy!
Last edited by ErOR at Jan 7, 2017,
Comparing the Katana to a tube amp puts a smirk on my face.

I have a Mesa Mini and 1x12 120watt cab, they're about the weight of the Katana and sound fantastic and probably even louder or as loud. Now, this amp is incredible.

The Katana is ok or probably very good budget modeling amp, no more, no less.

I play mostly metal, some fusion, occasional blues and jazz jam. I'd take my Mesa Mini every time over the Katana. The clean channel is fantastic, so is tge clean pushed channel and there's the lead channel which is buttery sweet in any volume. It also takes about 5 mins to dial in an amazing tone.

I'm not being fair as the Mesa is 3x the price, but it is also unfair to claim a budget amp to be more than it actually is.
Quote by diabolical
Comparing the Katana to a tube amp puts a smirk on my face.

I have a Mesa Mini and 1x12 120watt cab, they're about the weight of the Katana and sound fantastic and probably even louder or as loud. Now, this amp is incredible.

The Katana is ok or probably very good budget modeling amp, no more, no less.

I play mostly metal, some fusion, occasional blues and jazz jam. I'd take my Mesa Mini every time over the Katana. The clean channel is fantastic, so is tge clean pushed channel and there's the lead channel which is buttery sweet in any volume. It also takes about 5 mins to dial in an amazing tone.

I'm not being fair as the Mesa is 3x the price, but it is also unfair to claim a budget amp to be more than it actually is.

I don't disagree regarding the MESA but I'm quite surprised that it didn't work out for you, how long did you even give it a go before making up your mind? Were you planning on replacing some gear with it or just got it to test it out?

I was intrigued on first chord... sold shortly after realising this is a serious amp and not another harsh, digital cold sounding SS amp. Personally this amp inspires me and makes me want to play, only tube amp does that. In a few minutes you can have a satisfying tone where time just melts away and any amp which achieves that is a good amp in my view.

Just because it is a "budget" amp it doesn't mean it is bad, I have converted a few people already by just letting them play on the amp and everyone I've shown it to has given some good comments about it. You don't need a computer to get a good tone, the whole 5 minute for a good tone is true on the Katana also, effects are the cream on top plus EQ/filters etc to find tune.

This is not exactly a modeller as it doesn't model anything but purely delivers EL34 power amp tones.

~90% sound/feel of a tube a 1/3 cost? No brainier, great value.
Last edited by ErOR at Jan 7, 2017,
Quote by ErOR

Trust me, after you hear this thing you will not be lugging those tube amps around anymore, your high end gear can stay home nice and safe. This is 15kg, somewhat compact and comes 90% to a tube amp for a excellent price. Mind you, here in New Zealand these are $480USD and I still consider this a great buy!

For about a 100 more I would get a tweed Blues Junior. Weighs about 14-15kgs and sounds GREAT! With the American style speaker and low power tubes it gets pretty aggressive pretty quick. I would love to have one to compliment my Hot Rod.

But as soon as it is available in my country I would try it. It should be through customs by the end of the month and I am going to try the new Boss CE-2W.

And tube amps are quite rugged. My tubes have been in the amp from late 2009. The only problem with the amp was that it blew a couple of capacitors that balance an auxiliary circuit that holds the +16v and -16v supply. This ended up heating the board by the adjacent high power resistor and blowing a track. replaced the 2 capacitors, 2 resistors and made a wire link. This was due to the fact that I have a budget tube amp the Hot Rod Deluxe not the flagship like a Fender Twin. When I used to play around with solid state amps I had way more problems than this as in budget amps you tend to have lower grade components. Also, my hot rod shipped with great documentation and the circuit board is quite easy to work on and solder whereas other amps have tiny components packed tightly for economic reasons.

Yes it is a heavy amp, but I always found a band member that would help me get the amp into the venue. Then I helped out with their gear. But it is not crazy heavy at about 23kg.

The biggest difference I find is that whereas most tube amps have limited tones, they tend to be great at what they were designed for (and having the correct speaker to achieve the result plays a huge role here), a modelling amp would have a huge number of amp models and styles played through a relatively flat speaker. I think modelling amps should appeal more to beginners as they are yet to discover what a guitar can offer. I know what I want out of an amp and I would buy the one that delivers. I have 2 tube amps to get some variety and yes I could use another 2 to get most of the tones covered. I am planning to get an AC15 this year but mostly for recording not for playing live so I can layer multiple amps.

For the OP a Fender Blues junior is light and small. If you like the VOX sound AC15 is a good amp though I prefer playing a strat through those since you mentioned you have a lot of humbucker guitars.
Last edited by Gab_Azz at Jan 7, 2017,
Thanks everyone for the comments. I am definitely not getting a tube amp. I have spent most of my 40 years of gigging playing with back breaking tube amps. Today's SS amps have gotten so much better I find the difference too small to deal with the extra weight. I also am not looking for an amp that is a "one trick pony" with one great sound, I have to compromise. One night I have to play in a shot and beer bar doing classic rock overdrive and the next night I am in an upscale club/restaurant playing very clean at low volumes. I think I will go for Katana. Weight, size and versatility as well as cost is always a consideration. I also have to point out that I don't just bring my guitar and amp to a gig I also own the PA system, lights and most any other gear. That's my choice but it means I have to spread the funds.

Thanks again. I appreciate all the input.
I have done that in the past but in order to make that work well you really need to always have decent sized monitors on the PA. Most places I play you can't have floor monitors (no room) and 90% of the time I use small personal monitors which are OK for the vocals but not great to hear guitar. I would love to work that way but I am resolved to using small amps and if necessary micing it through the PA but I am always looking for an alternative. I have a Boss ME-50 and a Digitech RP500 and while they both work fine it is the monitor issue that stops me from going direct. I'm not playing big rooms very often so volume is always an issue. I want a big sound without the volume. We'll see if the Katana can do it if not, back to the search.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 8, 2017,
You should be fine with small power speaker via signal splitter behind you as well. Doesn't make sense to change if you're happy with your PA setup.
I play some gigs thru a Bose PA which has different sound dispersal so you won't need monitors when you're using a multifx.
90% of the sound and feel of tubes out of a COSM amp? Yeah right. As if.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I thought it was ok. I was about to say it might be one of the best deals its price range but some people seem to insist Bugera's not total-shit-tier quality control anymore so IDK.
I have no illusions about getting the same quality sound out of the Boss as a tube amp (especially since I'm a sucker for the gainy, old-fashioned cranked amp blues sound), but switching easily back and fourth between acoustic and electric on one amp just sounds wonderful for gigs. Please update on how the Boss performs.
Death to Ovation haters!
Thanks again everyone. This site is so helpful for this kind of interaction. Musicians Friend has the Katana for $329. That's sounds reasonable.
Quote by diabolical
ErOR any Boss affiliation?

LOL!

Quote by Gab_Azz
For about a 100 more I would get a tweed Blues Junior.

Tweed Blues Junior are around double the price in my country brand new, so out of the question for me in this instance.

Quote by Cathbard
90% of the sound and feel of tubes out of a COSM amp? Yeah right. As if.

An arbitrary number pulled out of my @SS to try and describe the feel, maybe play the amp and you might see what I'm on about?

Quote by Rickholly74
Thanks again everyone. This site is so helpful for this kind of interaction. Musicians Friend has the Katana for $329. That's sounds reasonable.

If you give them a call might be able to get some discount.