Hey guys!

I'm looking to get some suggestions on which mic to go with. Vocally I like to do many different things, from heavier pantera / slipknot screams to higher pop leads similar to jared leto and I use quite a lot of strong adam gontier grit.

considering the sennheiser 835 vs 935 (open to more options)

Can someone with more experience with these microphones help with a recommendation? Possibly some suggestions on wireless recommendations as well?

Thank you

D
Last edited by dannyfinn92 at Jan 4, 2017,
Is this for live or studio use?

Live, you won't go far wrong with an SM58.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Is this for live or studio use?

Live, you won't go far wrong with an SM58.

Thank you for the reply. I know Corey Taylor uses an SM58 but I look at vocalists who have more variation in their tone / range and see sennheiser 935s I believe. I've read that they cut through the mix better and can handle variation in tonality better.

I haven't had experience with 835 vs 935 and it's hard to get comparison samples
dannyfinn92 I very much doubt that anyone will notice the difference between a sennheiser or a shure mic in a live situation. Im guessing here, but you probably play in a local metal band that play small venues and clubs? Those very rarely have an excelent sound system, or a competent soundman for that matter, so the nuanced differences between mics become irrelevant. A sm58 or a beta58 is gonna be ok for whatever you wanna do with it, or if you get the sennheiser, its probably not gonna even matter which one you pick.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
SM58
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY