Hi everyone So here's what's up:

BUDGET: 500CHF ($500 but I live in switzerland where everything is expensive so prob more around $300-$400 compared to US prices)

WHAT I NEED:

Definetely need:
-Electric Guitar (preferably a strat, but i'm flexible to the modeL)

-Maybe need:
- New Amp ( I already have a Line6 Spider IV, 15W )
- Pedals
- New pickups/stuff to mod my guitar

BACKGROUND:

- Been playing classical + acoustic guitar for ~ 1 year, looking to get more of a rock/alt/indie sound and be able to play riffs with FX.
- Music styles I like:
- ALT ROCK (all caps because this is my fav genre) so bands like The strokes, RHCP, arctic monkeys, nirvana, cage the elephant..
- Alternative - the black keys, vampire weekend, ..
- Indie, think imagine dragons, the kooks, local natives...

!! unfortunately there's nowhere I can find that sells used guitars, so not really an option (unless u know of somewhere near Zurich?)
--> been looking around a bit myself and have seen some interesting squiers, yamaha pacificas and ibanez models( i like a combination of single coil and humbucker pickups) : opinions?

Questions you could consider in your answer:
- Cheap guitar, expensive amp vs. expensive guitar, cheap amp
- Cheap guitar and then modify pickups etc.? What else can I upgrade?
- Keep my amp and get some pedals, ... (not sure what else you can get)
- Worth upgrading my amp?

Here are the two shops I have acces to, if you want to see if your suggestions are available to me/in my price range:

1. http://shop.musix.ch/en/
2. http://promusig.ch/

Thanks so much for your help! It is very much appreciated
Last edited by justtumblr101 at Jan 4, 2017,
you don't currently have a guitar at all? if not, you might be best putting all of that 500 CHF towards the guitar. the spider's not the best but you're not going to get a massive improvement on it if you have to split your budget between your guitar and amp anyway, and you'll likely end up with a much worse guitar... EDIT: don't worry about swapping pickups either, not the best use of what money you have (in my opinion) either. Ditto pedals, your amp should have some effects etc. already anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
From what i gather, based on your post, the guitar itself is the highest priority at this point in time.
You didn't clarify if the Strat has to be a Fender or Squier, or if it's just the Stratocaster body shape you want,
but i took a look at your links and came up with two that looked okay, or at least looked like something I'd use:

http://shop.musix.ch/en/Squier-Black-Chrome-Std-Fat-Strat-HSS-RW-Black.html
http://shop.musix.ch/en/Squier-Bullet-HSS-Green-Metallic.html

I mainly based it on my own preferences, as I'd never buy a guitar that doesn't have at least one humbucker.
As for amplifiers and effects, I'd put my money into a high-quality cabinet, and worry about the amplifier and effects later.
It is most definitely worth it to upgrade your Spider IV at some point if you stick with the electric guitar, but I do not believe effects pedals
will make it sound any better. But as i said, the cabinet is probably more important than the amplifier itself if you choose to go the head+cab route.
Last edited by Putridead at Jan 7, 2017,
As what others have said, while not a stellar amp, the Line 6 can take a backseat to upgrades right now. Yes, you can upgrade pickups, but that's usually done to refine your sound after you've upgraded your amp. Also, with most modeling amps, like the Spider, pedals are generally not recommended.

So, focus on the guitar. With that the only things you'll need are picks, a strap, and strings, all of which are fairly inexpensive. Based on the bands you like, a HSS equipped configuration would be best. Additionally, if there are used guitars, you can get a really nice guitar for substantially less than the original price. You might be able to grab a Mexican Fender or even an American one used in your budget.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Used guitars are the way to go in my opinion. Try as many as possible before you make your choice. Perhaps you could also get some pics of the guitars you've tried out and get some opinions here before you purchase. The better informed you are, the better decision you'll make...theoretically.
In the end you'll know the one that feels best to you, so that may be the best choice.

If you decide to buy online make sure there's a good return policy.
The mistake many people make is trying to upgrade all they're gear in one fell swoop while on a budget, Slow down and think, One piece at a time, First off you need a guitar right? So spend your money on a guitar you want rather than settling for a lesser guitar to also buy a slightly better amp than you have now, that can come later after you've saved up again, Granted it takes longer to acquire, but now rather than a so so guitar and amp you have what you really want.
As to upgrading budget guitars? I don't suggest it unless just a hobby of yours, I'm guilty of it, although not constrained by budget and a natural born tinkerer, Buy the guitar you want and there should be no need to upgrade it right?, And if you think you do need to upgrade it then chances are what you really need is another guitar, Cant have too many guitars in my book, Hell cant have too many amps in my book either,
Personally I'm not really a Strat guy, They're Ok I guess as long as equipped with a humbucker, I just never jumped on that train. More of a odd ball vintage or one off kind of guy, So I'm afraid I'm not much help in the Strat department, Most likely wouldn't me picking out a new bra for you either though,
A used Strat might be worth investigating for RHCP stylie stuff. Personally I would steer away from a Squier but only because or resale compared to a Fender - YMMV.

Now, I read that you can't get used items however there does appear to be a 'craiglist' and ebay for Switzerland - these might be options but of course 'buyer beware' applies!

Just got a new Ibanez and struggling to get a good combination of tone for Frusciante style riffs - perhaps single coil pick ups rather than humbuckers are the way to go in this respect. Don't worry too much about people telling you that you won't get the perfect tone - of course you won't, what you are probably looking for (like me) is something 'close enough' to keep you smiling and your fingers moving.

Best thing to do is going into any guitar store you can with nothing in mind for a purchase on that day. Pick up as much as you can and try to figure out what you like the feel of in your hands the best. Do you have big hands or small hands? That has shaped a lot of my own decision making.

After you have decided keep an eye out for a good deal on a used guitar of your liking. Make sure you play the guitar and that it feels 'similar' to the one you played and liked in store. There will be differences but SOME of these can be sorted for you with a good setup done by a COMPETENT guitar tech.

Expensive guitar and cheap amp would be my preference - only reason I say that is I have a feel for the guitar and I can somehow tweak things to get an 'acceptable' tone with a cheap amp. A cheap guitar that I don't like to play will only frustrate me even if I have a $4000 Soldano it's plug into. Again, YMMV.

Also, consider your time frame vs cash savings. Can you perhaps wait a month or two more and add a reasonable amount to upgrade and spend a bit more on something - this is of course very personal and you might or might not want to bother.

Do a bit of research into guitar set ups and what you should be looking for too. I managed to get $75 bucks off mine for a tiny scratch (I might or might not polish it out yet) and a poor set up, old strings etc. Don't ignore purchasing power. The stores and individuals don't make money by not selling guitars and quite often people over value what it is really worth, find some examples on line of the same guitar being sold for less and you may get someone to honor that. Of course try to be a courteous customer as it is easy to offend people when money is talking.

As said above, narrow down to a few choices and come back here to get some further opinions.

Whatever happens....ROCK ON!

OOOohhhh, just found this - might be worth a play in store - I love my PRS (Santana SEII) but it depends on how well it plays and what you like Not quite a Strat basis or single coils I know, but still it could be worth a bash!

http://promusig.ch/produkt/19237-prs-se-standard-22-vintage-cherry.aspx
http://promusig.ch/produkt/19236-prs-se-standard-24-tobacco-sunburst.aspx

If you don't take it - I might

E2A:

And on http://shop.musix.ch/en/ the Fender Strats start at 588CHF - Personally I would add the cash if I could to go this route if the PRS isn't to your liking
Last edited by hydreliox at Jan 7, 2017,
Quote by nastytroll
The mistake many people make is trying to upgrade all they're gear in one fell swoop while on a budget, Slow down and think, One piece at a time, First off you need a guitar right? So spend your money on a guitar you want rather than settling for a lesser guitar to also buy a slightly better amp than you have now, that can come later after you've saved up again, Granted it takes longer to acquire, but now rather than a so so guitar and amp you have what you really want.
As to upgrading budget guitars? I don't suggest it unless just a hobby of yours, I'm guilty of it, although not constrained by budget and a natural born tinkerer, Buy the guitar you want and there should be no need to upgrade it right?, And if you think you do need to upgrade it then chances are what you really need is another guitar, Cant have too many guitars in my book, Hell cant have too many amps in my book either,
Personally I'm not really a Strat guy, They're Ok I guess as long as equipped with a humbucker, I just never jumped on that train. More of a odd ball vintage or one off kind of guy, So I'm afraid I'm not much help in the Strat department, Most likely wouldn't me picking out a new bra for you either though,

Agreed, though (and bear in mind I'm at least partly playing devil's advocate here) it does depend on how long it would take you to save up for all the nice stuff. I fear we sometimes forget what it's like to be a newer player, without the nice gear- it's pretty easy to say, when you already have nice gear, "Oh, that upgrade's not worth it, you'll only get a slight improvement, save up for a proper improvement..." but if you're having to put up with very subpar gear which is pissing you off, even a slight improvement may be enough to make playing and practising fun again, especially if it'd take you ages to save up for something really nice- and especially if you're not used to the really nice gear yet anyway.

The other thing is, swapping, say, pickups on an expensive guitar may well be well worth it. I agree it's usually a waste of money on a cheaper guitar (unless you just enjoy doing it, as you said, or unless the cheaper guitar has sentimental value such that you doubt you'd ever sell it), but even more expensive guitars often have mediocre pickups, or more usually, pickups designed to suit most players rather than pickups designed to suit you personally.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?