I know others have asked similar questions but I wanted to know if anyone knows if there can be long term problems from playing with a jammed finger?

Its my pinky on my fretting hand and I'm in a band so I don't have the luxury of letting my finger rest for more than a day or so. I jammed it about 8 weeks ago, its still swollen on the side and I have some minor pain when I stretch frets or bend but nothing that I really cant live with. I am play lead and we play a lot of 80's metal so all of my fingers stay pretty busy when I'm playing.

Its not crooked or dislocated just swollen. I can handle the discomfort and I can continue to play, I'm just wondering if anyone has any horror stories of worse case scenarios or... if its just a case of, "it will just take a while to heal, keep jamming no problem".
Have you had it checked out? 8 wks of being swollen for a jammed finger seems a bit long.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i got my thumb smashed by a hammer (ended up losing the nail) of my picking hand. that was a bitch.

so at least i can say i feel for ya.

and i agree with danny - maybe you should have it looked at if its been that long.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
dannyalcatraz Yes actually I did, the doc said there was a hairline fracture at the ??? joint. I honestly couldn't see anything at all on the x-ray but I wore a splint for a couple of weeks as instructed, ice, heat, Motrin etc... When I took off the splint my finger hurt WAY more than before I put it on but I did the PT for a couple of nights and it loosened up enough to play and feel "OK".

Don't get me wrong the swelling is not near as bad as it was at first it has gone down but its still there, and like I said "minor" pain. I honestly feel like its just a matter of healing time and it seems alright to me for now. I was really just wondering the "what if'" and from someone other than a doctor... I already know what the doctor will say but its just not possible for me to not play at all...

Really just wondering if there is long term or permanent damage I could do and if anyone has experienced that type of thing, what to watch for, etc... I have done a lot of research and reading and I honestly have not found anything that says "If you play, this will happen!". I for sure don't want to disable my finger but at the same time I don't want to give up playing if there is really no need. If its just a matter of discomfort and time I can handle that.

So I guess my real question is has anyone ever permanently damaged their finger first hand or has anyone heard of someone else doing it?
A hairline fracture is more than a jam. I had one in my right thumb (from blocking a pass playing football) and didn't realize it. I finally had a doc look at it months later because it still ached, and that was when I got the diagnosis. It took 6 months to heal, in part because it went untreated.

(BTW, did you take the splint off on your own impulse, or was it after the doc said you didn't need it anymore?)

Good news for me (and you): no lasting damage.

The bad news is that if you keep using the digit unprotected, it will lengthen your recovery time. Perhaps it is time:

1) for the band to take a break while you heal
2) for your group to play more songs where you don't need your pinky
3) for you to learn slide
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The doc told me to wear the splint for two weeks apparently it was really small, but yes I did do the two weeks and everything else he told me although I did not do the follow up visit. All in all it does seem to be progressing for the better and I have been playing a little different to keep from using it as much. I was really just more concerned that I might develop some "condition" that would be irreversible but it really doesn't seem to be a do or die situation maybe like you said just longer healing time and that's OK its not by any means unbearable.

I think with the information I have gathered I can reasonably conclude that it will be OK long term and I'm not really looking at anything catastrophic. I really cant quit right now as we have bookings we don't want to cancel but I do agree I need to give it all the breaks I can (no pun intended). I will just keep an eye on it and as long as it gets better more than it does worse I'll hope for the best and just take it day by day.
Just because I didn't develop any long term issues doesn't mean it can't/won't happen to you. Ask your MD.