Hello all!
I'm quite new to the forums here (even though I occasionally use the site for tabs) so forgive me if I make any mistakes regarding formatting.
To cut to the point, I was inquiring as to whether I should get a 5-string bass. Due to my taste in music, I think that it would be optimum. I avidly listen to metal, punk rock, and the occasional deathcore song (e.g. old Bring Me The Horizon songs, such as Alligator Blood, or Chelsea Smile). In regards to a 5-string bass, I believe that it is more applicable for these categories (due to the natural B-string) and it proves to be less of a hassle in comparison to tuning down with a 4-string.

I would appreciate any feedback.

(Please feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, and to give out pros and cons!)

Thank you for your time
Last edited by hemati.nim at Jan 5, 2017,
If you are going to play music that needs that lower B, then by all means get the 5 string. The other advantage of a 5 string is that it offers economy of movement in your fretting hand vs downtuning a 4 string (or in some cases vs a 4 string all together).

The only con is that the price is higher for a 5 string, as well as the strings. Yes, there are those who will argue that 4 is enough, but you now see 5 string basses across many music genres from metal to country.
anarkee
Quote by anarkee
If you are going to play music that needs that lower B, then by all means get the 5 string. The other advantage of a 5 string is that it offers economy of movement in your fretting hand vs downtuning a 4 string (or in some cases vs a 4 string all together).

The only con is that the price is higher for a 5 string, as well as the strings. Yes, there are those who will argue that 4 is enough, but you now see 5 string basses across many music genres from metal to country.

Agree fully, after 37 years of gigging I purchased a Stingray 5, I never used my 65 Jazz again mainly to the flexibility the 5 gave me.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I have 4 and 5 string basses, but I have to say I do sometimes find I have to concentrate to make sure I don't get on the wrong string on the 5.
I do like getting to the bottom E and still being able to go lower.
I've also just got a hipshot xtender for a 4 string fretless, so that should confuse me even further!
Quote by anarkee

The only con is that the price is higher for a 5 string, as well as the strings.

I could be wrong, but aren't they often heavier? I find 4s heavy enough
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I could be wrong, but aren't they often heavier? I find 4s heavy enough

I've had 4, 5 and 6 string basses and weight has never been an issue.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by hemati.nim
Thank you all so much for your feedback. I think I will definitely purchase one soon!

Nice!
Out of interest, what's your budget and country? There might be a specific one that would be good to look at
Quote by John Swift
I've had 4, 5 and 6 string basses and weight has never been an issue.

That may be but it doesn't matter to me if you don't find them heavy if I do!

Do you mean weight varies and you can get light basses with more strings, or just that you personally don't mind about the weight?

I haven't tried very many basses and I know that even some 4s can be heavier than I ideally like, so I suspect it probably would be possible to find lighter 5s... but at the same time I reckon there's some correlation there too- you'd have to pick carefully to ensure a light 5, I suspect. Pick an average-weight 4 and it's likely to be lighter than an average-weight 5, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah possibly

or my slightly dodgy back
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you find a five string heavy, you'll more than likely find the four string equivalent heavy as well. But weight issues are probably actually weight distribution issues, i.e. the strap.

The elasticated straps certainly make the bass feel lighter, I've been using one for over 20 years, so I'm speaking from experience.
Considering that the bodies are the same the slightly wider neck of a 5 string doesn't really make an awful lot of difference, as has been posted some 4 strings are heavier the some 5 strings.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Jan 23, 2017,
i would recommend a 5 string bass. I found that I got used to having the extra string pretty quickly and now I'm looking at 6 string basses.

5 string or maybe just skip straight to 6 string bass? Depends if you are looking just for extra low-end or more range overall.

Personally speaking, I haven't noticed any particular extra weight to the instrument or any issues for me reaching across the neck compared to a 4 string.
Do you have any links to those nice straps, Deliriumbassist and John Swift? If they really helped it would be worth it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
Hi the name on the strap is 'Klondyke', like I said I've had it a very long time.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
ah no worries, thanks anyway. i'll have a look on google and see if i come up with anything. EDIT: thomann seems to have some klondyke straps but they seem to be for ukelele, banjo and similar
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 24, 2017,
Deliriumbassist

Thanks a lot will look into it.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Thanks DB
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Deliriumbassist

Regarding weight distribution issues: there's also the polar moment of inertia with some of these long basses -- the headless basses are not only lighter, but because they have less mass out at the ends, they *feel* lighter as well in terms of muscle strain.