Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me understand what I did wrong.

So basically I have changed strings a couple times before but only on acoustic guitars. I have never had a problem with strings breaking on me.

I have had an Epiphone Les Paul for a couple years now and never changed the strings until now.

After I took off the strings, I noticed that (the bridge?) Was loose, and a little wobbly. (The metal part that the strings rest on, in between the pickups and the part that you first slide the strings through..

I thought that was strange, so I tightened the screws by hand until it no longer wobbled.

I started with my first string (the biggest one, lower E?) Anyway.. I don't know what I did wrong but the string's notes sounded way to high, right after I started tightening it, and it might have been too close to the frets? (Right on them?) I'm sorry if this is confusing.

I thought it might have been because I tightened the bridge when I shouldn't have, and started panicking thinking I messed everything up, so I started unscrewing the bridge a little bit (while the new string was on) to try to loosen things up..

I also tried untightening the string itself because it still sounded too high. Anyway, the string then snapped, and I was really disappointed and upset.

So I guess my questions are. Is the bridge supposed to be wobbly?

Why did my string sound so high pitch right away?

I hate that I am going to have to buy a whole new set of strings just for the one I broke. I also don't even want to try again until I know what I did wrong and how to avoid that happening again.

I'm supposed to be playing in my church band and I am sad I won't be able to until I restring my guitar.

The strings I have are D'Addario EXL120 - 9-42.

Sorry if this thread was confusing. Thank you to anyone who replies.
forever 27
Last edited by brianjones at Jan 5, 2017,
Unfortunately you've made a major boo-boo there

Yes, the bridge is supposed to be "wobbly" - the screws you adjusted are there to effectively adjust the height of the bridge so were, or at least should have been, already at the correct height. By screwing both the bridge and tailpiece down you'll have done two things.

First you'll have made the bridge far too low so the strings will have been flat against the fretboard, making it impossible to play as the strings can't vibrate. Secondly you'll have likely made the angle between the bridge and tailpiece too great, meaning the strings are pushing up against the edge of the bridge - that pressure could easily cause strings to break so that's probably why that started happening.

So you need to set the bridge back to a height where the strings sit clear of the fretboard, but not so high that it becomes too hard to play. You also need to make sure that the tailpiece is high enough so that the strings sit clear of the back edge of the bridge.

Also moved to EG
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thread was moved to forum: Electric Guitar
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Unfortunately you've made a major boo-boo there

Yes, the bridge is supposed to be "wobbly" - the screws you adjusted are there to effectively adjust the height of the bridge so were, or at least should have been, already at the correct height. By screwing both the bridge and tailpiece down you'll have done two things.

First you'll have made the bridge far too low so the strings will have been flat against the fretboard, making it impossible to play as the strings can't vibrate. Secondly you'll have likely made the angle between the bridge and tailpiece too great, meaning the strings are pushing up against the edge of the bridge - that pressure could easily cause strings to break so that's probably why that started happening.

So you need to set the bridge back to a height where the strings sit clear of the fretboard, but not so high that it becomes too hard to play. You also need to make sure that the tailpiece is high enough so that the strings sit clear of the back edge of the bridge.

Also moved to EG

Ugh. I knew that's what I did wrong.

I really wish I hadn't tightened it.

Thank you so much for your reply.
forever 27
Okay, I fixed the bridge, I think I raised it high enough.

I put four strings on, but the last one snapped. I don't think it's because of the bridge. As I was turning the peg it kept de-tuning on me, going lower and lower, even though I was making it tighter. It kept falling, and it snapped because it was too tight eventually.

That has never happened to me before. Is it a problem with the peg?..

The sad thing is that I have been playing for a long time, I just don't have a lot of experience changing my strings.
forever 27
Where is the string snapping? If its at the tuner, you might have a burr on the corner of the tuner, causing it to break. You can remove the burr with a small file.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee